Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2016, 06:12 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
K-3 ii Pixel shift for slide/negative copying?

Just wonder if anyone has tried it, and what their results were?

Also, I don't think it is possible, but any possibility of flash use with pixel shift?

01-22-2016, 06:32 PM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote

Also, I don't think it is possible, but any possibility of flash use with pixel shift?
I was trying to make pixel shift to work with flash but it is very hard and not practical. In essence, If you have a wireless trigger, you can try to take pixel shifted images with shutter times around 2-3 or how many seconds you want so you have time to manually trigger (test) the flashes 4 times. I tried it a couple of times just for fun of it and results were ok but you have to shoot in the dark or at least very dim room because of long exposures. Also, you have to find a rythm for triggering the flashes and take a stopwatch because you do not hear when the next picture is beeing taken. It would be cool so camera just triggers the flash four times, each time it takes a new image. I don't see the problem to it why that would not be possible.
01-22-2016, 06:46 PM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote

I guess pixel shift could be worth it for better colour, but I can't try it since I only have a K-3. Resolution is already OK for slides, so I'm not sure I would be using pixel shift to realize better resolution.
I would use an incandescent lamp for better colour purity.
My settup uses a projector without its lens and the camera with a DAF100 Macro lens focused on the slide. It is very quick with remote control feeding.

John.
01-22-2016, 08:32 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Using it for slides would be a perfect application, as long as your setup is sturdy and your light source is constant.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-22-2016, 09:50 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I have a constant light source DIY slide copier. I would LOVE to have a k3II to try on it!
01-22-2016, 10:42 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Some flashes have a stroboscopic mode, Pentax flash units have a modelling light setting that can be used. Failing that the Godox AD180 and AD360 both have strobe modes that can be set to fire at 1hz~99hz depending on the power level needed.
01-23-2016, 12:04 AM   #7
rgk

I justified a recent K3ii + DFA 100 macro lens purchase for this exact purpose. Intending to use the pixel shift feature. Not yet underway.

BK
01-23-2016, 08:53 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jhmos Quote
I guess pixel shift could be worth it for better colour, but I can't try it since I only have a K-3. Resolution is already OK for slides, so I'm not sure I would be using pixel shift to realize better resolution.
I would use an incandescent lamp for better colour purity.
My settup uses a projector without its lens and the camera with a DAF100 Macro lens focused on the slide. It is very quick with remote control feeding.

John.
Yes, hoping for the better colour/ colour depth and absence of read noise I get from my scanner. I'm also hoping to set up a rig for my medium format films.
Are you using your setup for negatives as well? I have used incandescent bulbs before, also thinking I might try a 5000k LED bank, since they are now so cheap.

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Using it for slides would be a perfect application, as long as your setup is sturdy and your light source is constant.
I'm hoping.

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Some flashes have a stroboscopic mode, Pentax flash units have a modelling light setting that can be used. Failing that the Godox AD180 and AD360 both have strobe modes that can be set to fire at 1hz~99hz depending on the power level needed.
Thanks for this, I'd forgotten about the "modelling" and strobe modes.

01-23-2016, 09:12 AM   #9
Pentaxian

My 540fgz's use modeling and my Sigma 610 Super has modeling but also uses a Multi flash mode with selectable frequency and number of flashes.

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 01-23-2016 at 09:28 AM.
01-23-2016, 09:16 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by zvon Quote
I was trying to make pixel shift to work with flash but it is very hard and not practical. In essence, If you have a wireless trigger, you can try to take pixel shifted images with shutter times around 2-3 or how many seconds you want so you have time to manually trigger (test) the flashes 4 times. I tried it a couple of times just for fun of it and results were ok but you have to shoot in the dark or at least very dim room because of long exposures. Also, you have to find a rythm for triggering the flashes and take a stopwatch because you do not hear when the next picture is beeing taken. It would be cool so camera just triggers the flash four times, each time it takes a new image. I don't see the problem to it why that would not be possible.
Good to know. I expected something like this - Pixel shift is very first generation, right now, and I don't expect full integration with the rest of the system.