Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2016, 06:40 PM   #1
Veteran Member

K3-2 Seems Good To Go

Well, Final had the time to check out my new K3-2 From Adorama! The copy is definitely brand new! The box lid was still stiff upon opening, and it only had 6 shutter actuations on it. No dead pixels on the rear LCD, Checked for sensor stains, and dust looks good, all major functions seem to work as expected, and no dead pixels on the sensor! Although with pixel remapping thats really not an issue. My serial number starts with 6249 so I assume I won't have issues with the power switch. So far I'm extremely pleased! Coming from a K5, I can't believe how much sharper the jpeg images are right out of the camera using the natural setting! Amazing! Although I immediately noticed the softness on the extreme outer edges of my 18-135mm, that I really paid no attention to on my K5! Is there anything else I should check out right away? Thing is I'm in the middle of a huge 3D modeling job right now, and after tomorrow, will have very little time to play with it for a couple months or so. How do I check out the GPS, and if thats ok, can I assume the Astrotracer is ok? I know pretty much nothing about either. LOL! I don't think I'll ever have to do much edge sharpening in post with this camera. The center seem absolutely tac sharp!

01-23-2016, 07:25 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

6! Why so many?

But seriously, congratulations. Enjoy!

Last edited by Quartermaster James; 01-23-2016 at 07:31 PM.
01-23-2016, 08:30 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You can do a "Precise Calibration". That is where you rotate your camera in different directions while GPS is on to calibrate for the use of the Astrotracer feature. Page 65 (manual) gives some instructions. Also, there is a video that shows a person actually doing it that was sort of helpful to me here: astrotracer precise calibration - Bing video

When you complete the precise calibration successfully the rear lcd monitor will show you a message confirming it.

Last edited by C_Jones; 01-23-2016 at 08:46 PM.
01-23-2016, 09:19 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Two things I can think of. Multi Awb and you think sharp now, wait till you try a pixel shift still or two.

01-23-2016, 09:33 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
Two things I can think of. Multi Awb and you think sharp now, wait till you try a pixel shift still or two.
Yes, I'm really excited about that!
01-24-2016, 12:14 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Don't forget that you will need to use DCU5 to develop the pixel shift photos as currently, I don't believe that any other software will do this.
01-24-2016, 04:52 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I don't, my Photoshop CC handles both Raw & JPEG pixel shifts just fine. Raw start off as huge files to start with though. I haven't tried my Lightroom CC as yet since I have gone back to using ACR / Photoshop primarily.
01-24-2016, 10:19 AM   #8
Veteran Member

That's great news! Good that the independents are beginning to support pixel shift. Although as I still use Photoshop CS4, the most reent version of ACR that I can use is v5.7.