Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
01-24-2016, 06:05 PM   #1
Veteran Member

That Didn't Take Long!

Well, ran into my first issue with my New K3-2! Took a shot! It started writing to the card, and camera froze! Had to remove the battery. So I swapped the two16 gig cards with each slot, and it's been fine now! Then I took the card that was in slot one, and was now In slot two, and put it in my computer card reader. Scrolled through about 20 images, and it froze my card reader! So, I'm thinking (hoping) defective card! These cards are at least 5-6 years old. Any ideas?

01-24-2016, 06:08 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Try new cards. Format them in the camera.
01-24-2016, 06:14 PM - 1 Like   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Tony3d Quote
Well, ran into my first issue with my New K3-2! Took a shot! It started writing to the card, and camera froze! Had to remove the battery. So I swapped the two16 gig cards with each slot, and it's been fine now! Then I took the card that was in slot one, and was now In slot two, and put it in my computer card reader. Scrolled through about 20 images, and it froze my card reader! So, I'm thinking (hoping) defective card! These cards are at least 5-6 years old. Any ideas?
Throw away the cards, and get yourself some new UHS-I Sandisk Extreme cards to replace them

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-24-2016, 06:17 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've been Buying Lexar Pro - the replacement warranty has saved me a few bucks already. I always have a couple of extras on hand.

01-24-2016, 08:01 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Throw away the cards, and get yourself some new UHS-I Sandisk Extreme cards to replace them
Do you think it's just the cards? Haven't had an issue since I swapped them.
01-24-2016, 08:02 PM   #6
Forum Member

+1
The K-3/II can definitely make use of that extra writing speed.. Even the K-30 does!
If at all still usable, relegate the bad cards to a tertiary backup of something.
01-24-2016, 08:12 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Should probably get class 6 or higher correct?

---------- Post added 01-25-16 at 03:33 AM ----------

Are those the Sandisk Extreme Plus Cards?

01-24-2016, 09:21 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Tony3d Quote
Should probably get class 6 or higher correct?

---------- Post added 01-25-16 at 03:33 AM ----------

Are those the Sandisk Extreme Plus Cards?
All UHS-I cards are class 10, with actual speeds that exceed that spec.

Extreme Plus cards have a lower speed rating but are still very good; Extreme Pro cards are the best money can buy.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-24-2016, 09:49 PM   #9
Forum Member

Extreme Plus cards have a lower speed rating but are still very good; Extreme Pro cards are the best money can buy.
Yet another +1

I would forget about anything lower than class 10 - even forget about class 10 NON-uhs cards. Your K-3II really can use all the extra speed you throw at it.

You could also do what I've done and get a lower capacity ExtremePro(95MB/s write speed) card for slot 1.. Get one big enough for most of the shooting you might do, taking into account your use of any possible burst speed shooting. Then get a lower speed (i.e. 45MB/s write speed or higher), higher-capacity card for overfill in slot 2.

For myself... I have a 32GB Sandisk ExtremePro(95MB/s write) card in slot 1, and a 128GB Transcend (60MB/s write) in slot 2. Quite frankly, I'll likely never even get close to filling the 32-GB card - but it's reassuring to have that extra space available.

When looking at cards, make sure you are reading what the specified write speed is - not the read speed. Most have higher read and lower write speeds, and some brands have deceptive advertising of their speed - they try to pass off the read speed, as if it might be their write speed.

Back when I was doing testing with my K-30 there was, in fact, a noticeable writing speed-up when comparing a 45MB/s-write card to a 95MB/s write card.

Last edited by Hoggy; 01-24-2016 at 10:07 PM.
01-24-2016, 10:08 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks. Everyone. I'll be picking up two new cards this week. Shot off another 125 shots with no more issues!
01-24-2016, 11:55 PM   #11
Forum Member

OH... When you receive the cards, you may want to put them through the wringer with something like this:
Flash Memory Toolkit website

I usually test them with just one write-read pass, but you could always do more passes - like if your income might depend on them, or you suspect a card is going bad. I test them even if it's a high quality card like the Sandisk ExtremePro.

There might also be freeware options available to do it, but I don't know of any offhand.

If anyone knows of any freeware/open-source options, I'd love to hear about them though.
Anyone?

Last edited by Hoggy; 01-25-2016 at 03:50 AM.
01-25-2016, 03:29 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Question

Am I dreaming or did I read somewhere that you should use the card in the slot where you have formatted it ???? Is there any truth in this statement?
01-25-2016, 03:43 AM - 1 Like   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RuiC Quote
Am I dreaming or did I read somewhere that you should use the card in the slot where you have formatted it ???? Is there any truth in this statement?
Like salmon returning to the stream they were born in? Nuh. ☺
01-26-2016, 10:32 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sorry about the double post. Ended up buying two of these for $29.95 each..
SanDisk 32GB Extreme Plus Class 10 SDHC
Will try them tomorrow.
01-26-2016, 11:30 PM   #15
Forum Member

Personally, I'd have gone for 2 of these, for cheaper.. (95mb/s write)

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Extreme-UHS-I-Memory-SDSDXPA-032G-AFFP/dp/B007NDL56A

I hope you do know that the ones you got are 60mb/s write..
But my guess is you went for something available locally. Unfortunately I too, know all too well that 'gotta have it now' syndrome.

They'll still be way faster than the aged, and likely bad, class 6 one(s) you had. And truth-be-told, the difference between the 60-write and 95-write may not be over-the-top noticeable anyways.

And in regards to your other thread.. If the card reader also locked up, I wouldn't worry about the camera being bad. But do watch for it of course with the new cards. And maybe run them through a program to do a full write-read test.

Good luck and happy snapping!

(Also, a correction on the older K-30's writing speed.. I just did the test again, and there was no noticeable difference between the 45-write and 95-write Sandisk cards. And I think (Adam, was it?) mentioned in the K-30 forum that it's max write speed is 30mb/s.)