Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2016, 10:07 PM   #1
Junior Member




Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 42
Shutter count issue

Hello everyone. I got used Pentax K-3 from ebay yesterday. Before i bought i asked seller about shutter count, he told me 5,xxx . i thought it reasonable price for less than US$600 then i bought it.

After playing with menus and checked to find some errors or defect, good luck not found
Then i checked shutter count and wonder, it's only 649 WOW.... However after my first check i took only one more photo and check again , now show 695. , so it make me confuse why data of camera show jumping shutter count.
The websites for checking are Camera Shutter Count and Check Shutter Count & Camera Manufacture Date Online - EXIF Reader. They show me same shutter count both times.

Question, why the data from camera jump to several shot like that ?. Something wrong with the camera?.

01-24-2016, 10:42 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 40,945
QuoteOriginally posted by focusian Quote
Hello everyone. I got used Pentax K-3 from ebay yesterday. Before i bought i asked seller about shutter count, he told me 5,xxx . i thought it reasonable price for less than US$600 then i bought it.

After playing with menus and checked to find some errors or defect, good luck not found
Then i checked shutter count and wonder, it's only 649 WOW.... However after my first check i took only one more photo and check again , now show 695. , so it make me confuse why data of camera show jumping shutter count.
The websites for checking are Camera Shutter Count and Check Shutter Count & Camera Manufacture Date Online - EXIF Reader. They show me same shutter count both times.

Question, why the data from camera jump to several shot like that ?. Something wrong with the camera?.
You sure it wasn't 694 the first time?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-24-2016, 11:43 PM   #3
Junior Member




Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 42
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
You sure it wasn't 694 the first time?
Yes i'm sure . It looks like i shuffle ..49 and ..95 but i checked more than twice with both websites.
May be 7xx next shot ......
01-24-2016, 11:48 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 40,945
That's strange indeed, as it definitely shouldn't jump around. Take another two shots and upload those- are they consistent?


Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-25-2016, 06:03 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Bruce Clark's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Brookfield, Victoria
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,698
Just wondering if the camera is in a multi-exposure mode, would that affect the shutter count?
01-25-2016, 06:16 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Alex645's Avatar

Join Date: May 2015
Location: Kaneohe, HI
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,140
It would be helpful if you posted any two consecutive jpegs with the EXIF files.

In the same way a car's odometer can be "hacked" and the mileage changed, I have no doubt the same can be done to a camera's shutter/actuation count if you know code and have the knowledge. I would update or reinstall the firmware, then see what's going on. There is definitely a 'ghost in the machine'. And just the fact that the seller said it had a 5K count and you're seeing something under 1K doesn't make sense and those numbers are extremely low for a used camera.
01-25-2016, 01:52 PM   #7
a5m
Site Supporter




Join Date: Oct 2015
Photos: Albums
Posts: 471
How about trying to check the shutter count on a different computer, or check the count again taking pictures on a different SD card?
01-25-2016, 06:08 PM   #8
Junior Member




Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 42
Original Poster
Thank you for everyone's comment, I am travelling now anyway will check and update again.

01-25-2016, 06:28 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Alex645's Avatar

Join Date: May 2015
Location: Kaneohe, HI
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,140
QuoteOriginally posted by focusian Quote
Thank you for everyone's comment, I am travelling now anyway will check and update again.
Yes, please do update us eventually. Would love to know this riddle.
01-26-2016, 09:15 AM   #10
Junior Member




Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 42
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Yes, please do update us eventually. Would love to know this riddle.
Hi, finally i tried re-update firmware v.1.21 ( camera came with v. 1.21 already). Problem solved, shutter count run correctly now.
I think last owner might not completely updated the firmware.

The shutter is 7xx shots. Happy with this k-3.
01-26-2016, 09:22 AM   #11
Pentaxian
Tjompen1968's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Norrköping, Sweden
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,287
Check Shutter Count & Camera Manufacture Date Online - EXIF Reader
01-26-2016, 10:22 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Alex645's Avatar

Join Date: May 2015
Location: Kaneohe, HI
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,140
QuoteOriginally posted by focusian Quote
Hi, finally i tried re-update firmware v.1.21 ( camera came with v. 1.21 already). Problem solved, shutter count run correctly now.
I think last owner might not completely updated the firmware.

The shutter is 7xx shots. Happy with this k-3.
Yay! Thanks for letting us know. Glad it was just a software glitch. If the camera came with the same firmware, then it was updated but somehow got corrupted. Happy shooting!
01-26-2016, 03:23 PM   #13
Pentaxian
Tjompen1968's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Norrköping, Sweden
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,287
If the firmware can become corrupted I am kind of alarmed...
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, check, count, data, dslr, k-3, k3, pentax k-3, shutter, shutter count
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shutter count? Moropo Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 13 09-20-2014 07:00 PM
Shutter count ronyzmbow Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 5 04-03-2014 08:06 AM
Shutter count set to zero after shutter unit replaced r4heim Pentax Medium Format 7 01-24-2014 07:58 AM
Shutter Count Issue PNE1964 Pentax K-5 2 08-05-2012 07:33 AM
Does Shutter Count, Count? CertEdFriday Pentax DSLR Discussion 20 11-27-2008 04:27 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:31 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top