Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2016, 10:07 PM   #1

Shutter count issue

Hello everyone. I got used Pentax K-3 from ebay yesterday. Before i bought i asked seller about shutter count, he told me 5,xxx . i thought it reasonable price for less than US$600 then i bought it.

After playing with menus and checked to find some errors or defect, good luck not found
Then i checked shutter count and wonder, it's only 649 WOW.... However after my first check i took only one more photo and check again , now show 695. , so it make me confuse why data of camera show jumping shutter count.
The websites for checking are Camera Shutter Count and Check Shutter Count & Camera Manufacture Date Online - EXIF Reader. They show me same shutter count both times.

Question, why the data from camera jump to several shot like that ?. Something wrong with the camera?.

01-24-2016, 10:42 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by focusian Quote
Hello everyone. I got used Pentax K-3 from ebay yesterday. Before i bought i asked seller about shutter count, he told me 5,xxx . i thought it reasonable price for less than US$600 then i bought it.

After playing with menus and checked to find some errors or defect, good luck not found
Then i checked shutter count and wonder, it's only 649 WOW.... However after my first check i took only one more photo and check again , now show 695. , so it make me confuse why data of camera show jumping shutter count.
The websites for checking are Camera Shutter Count and Check Shutter Count & Camera Manufacture Date Online - EXIF Reader. They show me same shutter count both times.

Question, why the data from camera jump to several shot like that ?. Something wrong with the camera?.
You sure it wasn't 694 the first time?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-24-2016, 11:43 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
You sure it wasn't 694 the first time?
Yes i'm sure . It looks like i shuffle ..49 and ..95 but i checked more than twice with both websites.
May be 7xx next shot ......
01-24-2016, 11:48 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

That's strange indeed, as it definitely shouldn't jump around. Take another two shots and upload those- are they consistent?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-25-2016, 06:03 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Just wondering if the camera is in a multi-exposure mode, would that affect the shutter count?
01-25-2016, 06:16 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It would be helpful if you posted any two consecutive jpegs with the EXIF files.

In the same way a car's odometer can be "hacked" and the mileage changed, I have no doubt the same can be done to a camera's shutter/actuation count if you know code and have the knowledge. I would update or reinstall the firmware, then see what's going on. There is definitely a 'ghost in the machine'. And just the fact that the seller said it had a 5K count and you're seeing something under 1K doesn't make sense and those numbers are extremely low for a used camera.
01-25-2016, 01:52 PM   #7
a5m
Site Supporter

How about trying to check the shutter count on a different computer, or check the count again taking pictures on a different SD card?
01-25-2016, 06:08 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thank you for everyone's comment, I am travelling now anyway will check and update again.

01-25-2016, 06:28 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Thank you for everyone's comment, I am travelling now anyway will check and update again.
Yes, please do update us eventually. Would love to know this riddle.
01-26-2016, 09:15 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Yes, please do update us eventually. Would love to know this riddle.
Hi, finally i tried re-update firmware v.1.21 ( camera came with v. 1.21 already). Problem solved, shutter count run correctly now.
I think last owner might not completely updated the firmware.

The shutter is 7xx shots. Happy with this k-3.
01-26-2016, 09:22 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Check Shutter Count & Camera Manufacture Date Online - EXIF Reader
01-26-2016, 10:22 AM   #12
Site Supporter

Hi, finally i tried re-update firmware v.1.21 ( camera came with v. 1.21 already). Problem solved, shutter count run correctly now.
I think last owner might not completely updated the firmware.

The shutter is 7xx shots. Happy with this k-3.
Yay! Thanks for letting us know. Glad it was just a software glitch. If the camera came with the same firmware, then it was updated but somehow got corrupted. Happy shooting!
01-26-2016, 03:23 PM   #13
Pentaxian

If the firmware can become corrupted I am kind of alarmed...