Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2016, 11:30 AM   #1
Veteran Member

2 things the K3/K3II do brilliantly.

#1. The IR remote control works exceeding well at starting and stopping your video. Canon and Nikon actually struggle a bit with this, the Pentax implementation is easy and foolproof. (And Fuji is useless for video!)

#2. The XS jpeg setting makes perfect images for web based use without having to post process to resize. Again, some cameras do not have this option and their smallest option still requires post processing to use.

I use these two things a lot, and have tried to do this with other cameras from other companies on occasion, and have been amazed how right Pentax gets this and how easy it is to do wrong.

Small things, but annoying when small things are a hassle and need not be...

01-27-2016, 12:53 PM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
#1. The IR remote control works exceeding well at starting and stopping your video. Canon and Nikon actually struggle a bit with this, the Pentax implementation is easy and foolproof. (And Fuji is useless for video!)

#2. The XS jpeg setting makes perfect images for web based use without having to post process to resize. Again, some cameras do not have this option and their smallest option still requires post processing to use.

I use these two things a lot, and have tried to do this with other cameras from other companies on occasion, and have been amazed how right Pentax gets this and how easy it is to do wrong.

Small things, but annoying when small things are a hassle and need not be...
Thanks for sharing. Good features to know.

I use the remote trigger for still shots but I have not tried it for video. As far as JPEG capability, I would not know because I shoot all RAW all the time. However, a buddy of mine who is a Pentaxian (for 30+ years) insists on shooting JPEG only. I have seen his images and they are spot on in terms of color and exposure. He shoots for newspapers a lot and he insists that his workflow is faster with JPEG. I have tried to bring him to the RAW side. But no success so far. He is happy with the JPEGs he gets from his K3, K30, K50 and even his original K5.
01-27-2016, 12:56 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
Do you mean starting and pausing, or stopping the recording. If so, can you you re start a new recording? Also, can you start a new file/recording when the file limit stops the recording?
01-27-2016, 01:07 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Some Nikon cameras have a receptacle for a wireless remote. Way more range and reliability than an IR remote, I feel.

01-27-2016, 01:13 PM   #5
Veteran Member

IR is wireless..
01-27-2016, 01:27 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Do you mean starting and pausing, or stopping the recording. If so, can you you re start a new recording? Also, can you start a new file/recording when the file limit stops the recording?

Starting and stopping, not sure you can pause. It does start a new recording when you hit the limit too.

You can also tell when it's recording or stopped recording by the red light. Very useful!

---------- Post added 01-27-16 at 01:28 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Some Nikon cameras have a receptacle for a wireless remote. Way more range and reliability than an IR remote, I feel.

Some do, some don't, the ones that do don't work as well as the Pentax does, this I have experience with...
01-27-2016, 01:31 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
IR is wireless..
I think what he means is a remote that uses RC (electromagnetic signals, or radio control) as opposed to IR (which is light). The advantage of RC is that you don't have to have a clear line of sight, as electromagnetic waves penetrate obstacles much more effectively.

01-27-2016, 01:46 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

The advantage of IR is that I carry one in my pocket all the time. My phone has IR and an app lets me control the K3. Very handy and I don't have to think about bringing another gizmo with batteries.
01-27-2016, 01:49 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Any Pentax Camera with a Wired remote recepter can have a Wireless Remote not IR connected to the same recepter and does a ittle bit more( Pur from the Orient for approx $25 USD). I've used on K200D & K3 for sure! Gives you a little more Range 15-25 feet in my case.
01-27-2016, 01:51 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zephos Quote
I think what he means is a remote that uses RC (electromagnetic signals, or radio control) as opposed to IR (which is light). The advantage of RC is that you don't have to have a clear line of sight, as electromagnetic waves penetrate obstacles much more effectively.
Yes I knew what was mean't, and yes there is a certain amount of penetration for the longer waves of radio I was just pointing out that IR is without wires also.
Technically speaking IR and 'radio' are all part of the same EM Spectrum.
I would not call IR 'light' because it's not in the visible region.

01-27-2016, 02:04 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
My phone has IR and an app lets me control the K3.
Your Cell phone isnt IR its in simple terms a wireless network just like your internet provider but is emitted from your flucard to your phone ,Ipad & computer and has distance limitations but doesnt need unobstructed line of sight like IR remote. Also the wireless remote doesnt need pure line of sight but must be unobstructed in any major way. The flucard remote has the best range of all I find but not by much. I also have a motion & flash dedector which operates through the WIRED RECEPTOR. Useful for wild life , lightning etc. etc. I'm hoping to take some pics of bullets leaving the muzzle of my guns this summer which apparently is possible with the K3 (fast shutter ,high iso etc.

Last edited by honey bo bo; 01-27-2016 at 02:39 PM. Reason: add info
01-27-2016, 02:40 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Some phones, such as my Samsung Galaxy S4, do have an IR emitter.

QuoteOriginally posted by honey bo bo Quote
Your Cell phone isnt IR its in simple terms a wireless network just like your internet provider but is emitted from your flucard to your phone ,Ipad & computer and has distance limitations but doesnt need unobstructed line of sight like IR remote. Also the wireless remote doesnt need pure line of sight but must be unobstructed in any major way. The flucard remote has the best range of all I find but not by much.
01-27-2016, 02:40 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

Your Cell phone isnt IR its in simple terms a wireless network just like your internet provider but is emitted from your flucard to your phone ,Ipad & computer and has distance limitations but doesnt need unobstructed line of sight like IR remote.
How do you know his phone doesn't have an IR blaster port? Many phones and tablets have that and can therefore be used as remotes to TV or cameras or whatever apparatus that uses an IR control signal. I have used my tablet as an intervalometer for my K5, and with that combination I can use the 2sec mirror up function (which I cant do with the built in intervalometer).
01-27-2016, 02:45 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Quartermaster James Quote
Some phones, such as my Samsung Galaxy S4, do have an IR emitter.
Is that an app or is it built in and how do you direct to your camera's specific receptor? I dont think my iPhone has such a beast could be wrong.
01-27-2016, 02:51 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I dont think my iPhone has such a beast could be wrong.
iPhones don't have IR blasters.