Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2016, 08:11 PM   #1
Veteran Member

K3-2 vs K5

I have been shooting with my new K3-2 now for a few days, and noticed something I'm not to thrilled about. Seems like my K3 tends to overexpose more than my K5! Has anyone else noticed this? If I turn down the exposure 2 ticks it's about equal. Wonder if this is a difference in dynamic range.

01-29-2016, 08:23 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Even if it does, it would surprise me as the k-3 or k-3II uses more elaborate (and supposedly more accurate) metering algorithm. To me, it does not matter since I own shoot RAW and the auto-expose feature in RAW development software takes care of that.
01-29-2016, 08:31 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My k-5 and k-5IIs always underexposed a bit. Usually had them on +.7 exposure compensation. The k-3II has been spot on.
01-30-2016, 12:39 AM   #4

Is the K3 set on Bright Mode?

01-30-2016, 01:05 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mahadragon Quote
Is the K3 set on Bright Mode?
I have it set to natural. I did turn highlight correction off though so I can use 100 Iso.
01-30-2016, 05:33 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Try them both on centerwighted. I suspect you're just experiencing the effects of the more sophisticated multisegment meter in the K-3

Regards,
--Anders.
01-30-2016, 06:51 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
My k-5 and k-5IIs always underexposed a bit. Usually had them on +.7 exposure compensation. The k-3II has been spot on.
Same with mine.
01-30-2016, 07:09 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Perhaps I'm just use to my k5 under exposing! LOL! I have to take my K3 out this weekend, and really have a look. I always like to spot meter, so I can have easy control over the exposure. Problably just have to get use to the new metering system! Everything else is checking out great! Love my new higher speed SD cards! Just got my free Flu Card yesterday from Adorama.

01-30-2016, 07:24 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Another thing to remember you can't go by the brightness of the view in the LCD, even it is brighter than the K5's due somewhat to higher resolution. I am absolutely loving the Multi AWB, especially in multi shaded/contrasted subject matter.
01-30-2016, 07:58 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
Another thing to remember you can't go by the brightness of the view in the LCD, even it is brighter than the K5's due somewhat to higher resolution. I am absolutely loving the Multi AWB, especially in multi shaded/contrasted subject matter.
Yes, I have mine set to multi WB as well. Very nice results! I'll take mine out tomorrow, and really run it through the paces. Like I said some images are just slightly over exposed, could be the way I'm spot metering. Two ticks down on the meter override fixes it.
01-30-2016, 08:14 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Try using center weighted and see what that achieves for you. There are only certain instances I use spot with mine vs using it with my K5lls due to the metering differences.
01-30-2016, 08:19 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tony3d Quote
Yes, I have mine set to multi WB as well. Very nice results! I'll take mine out tomorrow, and really run it through the paces. Like I said some images are just slightly over exposed, could be the way I'm spot metering. Two ticks down on the meter override fixes it.
If you are spot metering, the results are down to you, not the camera. You are telling the camera what point to meter on. If the metered point is dark, the whole image will expose higher. If the metered spot is lighter than mid grey, the image will underexpose It is well established that the K-3's meter more accurate than the K-5's.

The lens makes a big difference too. My DA 16-45mm underexposed by half a stop compared to my current Sigma 17-50mm. Underexposure can look good because the colours appear more saturated, but the Sigma meters more accurately.

I trust my K-3 on matrix metering implicitly, it will not blow the highlights in raw mode. I only use Spot occasionally. I use CW for action shooting.

Last edited by audiobomber; 04-10-2016 at 09:34 AM.
01-30-2016, 08:50 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
If you are spot metering, the results are down to you, not the camera. You are telling the camera what point to meter on. If the metered point is dark, the whole image will expose higher. If the metered spot is lighter than mid grey, the image will underexpose It is well established that the K-3's meter more accurate than the K-5's.

The lens makes a big difference too. My DA 16-45mm underexposed by half a stop compared to my current Sigma 17-50mm. Underexposure can look good because the colours appear more saturated, but the Sigma meters more accurately.

I trust my K-3 on matrix metering implicitly, it will not blow the highlights in raw mode. I only spot on rare occasions. I use CW for action shooting.
I understand how to use spot, and shot my entire Italy trip using it, with perfect results! I love metering in the shadows or bright areas, and finding the sweet spot. I generally will shoot for a slightly underexposed images, and correct it in post. So far the k3 seems to be much more sensitive to the grey areas. Just need to experiment. I will try center weighed, and see how that works. Can't wait to really get out with it tomorrow. Have checked out all the major thing, sensor stains, dead pixels, cosmetics, and serial number. Have a very recent copy. So far I love the camera! Pentax definitely makes the most comfortable, and well layer out body! I'll post some images this week.
04-09-2016, 12:14 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I was happy with my K-5 and had no real exposure problems. But am less happy with the K3II. In ordinary shooting -2/3 exposure compensation works OK. But it often overexposes wildly when using wide angle lenses such as the 10-17 fisheye and even the Sigma 17-50.

I shoot RAW. Tried both center weighting and the full picture metering. Highlight correction makes a marginal improvement.

I have more or less resorted to shooting manual. Works fine when you have time enough but is not very good for a grab shot.
04-10-2016, 04:55 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have a k-5II and a k-3II. I like the image quality of my k-5II than my k-3II particularly in noise handling. That's just based on my experience.