Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2016, 06:48 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not a technician, so I don't do much testing.....but I once shot an entire week with SR turned off to see what some other brands would be like. I guarantee I'll never repeat that experiment!

Regards!

K10D 1/20 @ 500mm Handheld.......I remember how the SR amazed me!

Since that time, long ago, I have many hundreds of such shots that I am thankful to have captured owing to the benefit of SR.

02-01-2016, 06:51 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Your post is of interest since SR can really help getting the best out of the K-3 / K-3II sensor, by allowing the use of a lower ISO and/or smaller lens aperture setting. SR has a sweet spot in terms of effectiveness versus shutter speed regardless of the focal length. By design, it is related to the bandwidth of the in camera accelerometer and sensor position actuation servo loop that acts as a bandpass filter for camera body displacement, it can compensate very well for a certain frequency of camera movement, while is does not compensate slow camera motion or very fast camera motion. Shutter speed during which there's not record-able motion is related to the center frequency of the SR servo. The SR sevo loop gain / phase changes with the lens FL (that's why you have to enter a FL number when using SR with manual lenses), but that is limited due to stability issues. I guess 4 stops of SR is achievable at a certain range of focal lengths and shutter speed but then drops outside of this range. My experience with the DA300, at SR can roughly compensate for 1 stop (1/180), and 2 stops (1/90) is not repeatable.
Very interesting analysis! I'm going to do more experimenting with this, and I'll post images with, and with Anti-Shake on. I just want to make sure it's operation properly.
02-01-2016, 07:19 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
But keep in mind that the SR can not compensate for tilt,
The K5 can do that, you just have to enable it. I think itís called horizon correction or something similar. I guess the K3 can do the same.
But if you enable the function it means the SR system might have to tilt the sensor and this reduces the maximal movement the sensor can do and thus it can affect the normal SR function somewhat.

In my experience the function is I little bit shaky, most of the times it works very well, but now and then the picture ends up more tilted then it would have been with the function off.
02-01-2016, 07:58 AM   #19
Site Supporter

Yes, with the higher resolution, you've entered territory where technique becomes all the more critical and is less forgiving.

QuoteOriginally posted by Tony3d Quote
Thanks everyone. I'm going to have to work on this. It just seems that on my K5 I was getting more consistent results. I'll post some images when I get some time. I am trying this in the 200-300!mm range. It could have something to do with the extra resolution poise the extra sharpness added without the Anti-Aliasing filters. I mean I am getting very sharp images on many shot at 1/30, just not as consistently as I remember with my K5. Perhaps I just need to be more careful.

02-01-2016, 08:25 AM   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Shake reduction is not magic you still need good steady hands and stance and breath control.

The actual speed that can be achieved will depend greatly on the focal length.
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
What he said and often at 1/15s. OTOH, the higher the sensor resolution, the higher the bar for shaked reduction simply because of the shorter distance that defines blur. When the K-3 first came out there was a lot of disappointment until users started paying close attention to camera motion.
These are about the best advice, you don't need much more...
QuoteOriginally posted by Tony3d Quote
I am trying this in the 200-300!mm range
...except the oldest advice - carry a good tripod and use it often.
02-01-2016, 09:04 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
The K5 can do that, you just have to enable it. I think it’s called horizon correction or something similar. I guess the K3 can do the same.
I meant the up-down tilt, but you are right. The SR on Pentax DSLRs has been improved throughout the generations.
02-01-2016, 11:07 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The K5 can do that, you just have to enable it. I think itís called horizon correction or something similar. I guess the K3 can do the same.
But if you enable the function it means the SR system might have to tilt the sensor and this reduces the maximal movement the sensor can do and thus it can affect the normal SR function somewhat.

In my experience the function is I little bit shaky, most of the times it works very well, but now and then the picture ends up more tilted then it would have been with the function off.
HI, Here are three shots The first No Shake Reduction, the second Shake reduction, the third Shake reduction with Horizontal on. The middle looks bets to me. These are all target out of the camera. Shutter between 1/15-1/20Th. Looks much better.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
02-01-2016, 11:29 AM   #23
Site Supporter

Just for giggles, can you take a similar comparison shot from a tripod? The shake is obvious in the first image. In the second it almost seems more like softness from the lens. I'm no expert though so I will be waiting to see what others have to say.

02-01-2016, 12:02 PM   #24
Pentaxian

There is as lot of randomness involved when shooting handheld at low speed so one need to take a lot of pictures when testing this. Now and then you get a sharp picture even without SR and once in a while they get blurry even with SR on.
02-01-2016, 12:05 PM   #25
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
But keep in mind that the SR can not compensate for tilt
Pentax SR will compensate for lateral, vertical and rotational movement in the sensor plane. It will not compensate for yaw or movement in the z-axis. I believe that both Sony and Olympus claim compensation for yaw as well, but only with their brand OS lenses mounted.

Edit: I forgot to add pitch to the movements that are not controlled for.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 02-01-2016 at 01:44 PM.
02-01-2016, 12:08 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Pentax SR will compensate for lateral, vertical and rotational movement. It will not compensate for yaw or movement in the z-axis. I believe that both Sony and Olympus claim compensation for yaw as well, but only with their brand OS lenses mounted.
Ah, there we go! Those are the proper terms. Thanks for this explanation
02-01-2016, 12:19 PM   #27
Veteran Member

It's probably mostly my technique, but it has generally been most effective with shorter focal lengths. I struggle below 1/160s at 200mm, but happy with 1/4s at 15mm.
02-01-2016, 01:00 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Pentax SR will compensate for lateral, vertical and rotational movement in the sensor plane. It will not compensate for yaw or movement in the z-axis. I believe that both Sony and Olympus claim compensation for yaw as well, but only with their brand OS lenses mounted.
Steve
Not really, if I remember correctly, Pentax SR will compensate for rotational shake, not lateral movement.
02-01-2016, 01:27 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Forgot to say that all three were shot at135mm.
02-01-2016, 01:42 PM   #30
Site Supporter

Not really, if I remember correctly, Pentax SR will compensate for rotational shake, not lateral movement.
Well, if it does not correct for lateral (side-to-side), then it would be pretty lame. There used to be a detailed diagram out there somewhere, but I was unable to find it.

Steve