Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2016, 10:58 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Anti-Shake effectiveness?

What do you find the lower limit shutter speed to be for tack sharp images with Anti-shake engaged? My k3-2 seems to be iffy at 1/60! I can get repeatability at 1/125! Am kinda surprised that 1/60 is hit or miss? What are you guys experiencing?

01-31-2016, 11:36 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Depends on how steady you can hold the camera, and also on the focal length. With a 31mm lens I've been able to get sharp shots as slow as 1/3s, though normally I see 1/8s or 1/10s as the realistic cutoff.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-31-2016, 11:44 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Shake reduction is not magic you still need good steady hands and stance and breath control.

The actual speed that can be achieved will depend greatly on the focal length. I can get good images down to 1/30th consistently, even slower on occasion.
01-31-2016, 11:45 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tony3d Quote
What do you find the lower limit shutter speed to be for tack sharp images with Anti-shake engaged? My k3-2 seems to be iffy at 1/60! I can get repeatability at 1/125! Am kinda surprised that 1/60 is hit or miss? What are you guys experiencing?
Well, on my k100d Super I can go as low as Tv 10 with f5.6 and come out pretty good. Now this is without a tripod or any kind of support other than my arms. How old is your k3-2? Could it be time for a shutter adjustment? Hope this helps.

Tony

02-01-2016, 12:12 AM - 1 Like   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
The actual speed that can be achieved will depend greatly on the focal length. I can get good images down to 1/30th consistently, even slower on occasion.
What he said and often at 1/15s. OTOH, the higher the sensor resolution, the higher the bar for shaked reduction simply because of the shorter distance that defines blur. When the K-3 first came out there was a lot of disappointment until users started paying close attention to camera motion.

Steve
02-01-2016, 12:16 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
1/40s at 450mm..... which I guess is 4 stops on the old 1/FL rule.

02-01-2016, 12:26 AM   #7
Veteran Member

It depends on various factors. With steady breath,steady subject, hands angled,resting against my body for focal lengths less anywhere under 300mm I can go down to 1/13s. At 1/30s I can almost certainly relax some of the above constraints and still get sharp results. I have heard Sony A7 series and Olympus has even better Image Stabilization!

02-01-2016, 01:24 AM   #8
Pentaxian

1/30 on the K5, below that it's a gamble. Thus it doesn't help that much for wide angles.
02-01-2016, 04:20 AM   #9

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
1/40s at 450mm..... which I guess is 4 stops on the old 1/FL rule.
That rule is for the 35mm format. For APS-C it must be multiplied with 1.5

On top of that (from my limited experience), at 450mm you're very lucky if you get a non-blurred hand-held shot with a shutter speed of 1/100 but maybe those with surgeon hands (and nerves) can pull it off.
02-01-2016, 04:34 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I haven't seen any problems with shutter speeds in the 1/8 to 1/10 second range with a 50mm lens, assuming I am using decent technique. You don't mention the focal length you are using, but 1/125 second should be more than adequate for most focal lengths (the issue often is not camera shake, but subject movement, which SR doesn't effect at all, of course).
02-01-2016, 04:40 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I think there are some guidelines on ratings of SR and modern DSLRs have a rating on how effective the SR is. You can check that out in the official camera specifications, I think.
But keep in mind that the SR can not compensate for tilt, and it is more difficult for SR to compensate for telephoto lenses. Also, when using SR, you need to hold the shutter button half-way until the little SR icon turns green. This means SR is active. Otherwise, you are shooting without it, even if you "enabled" it in the Info menu.
I think that proper holding technique is first and foremost. SR can then help you with slow shutter speeds. With bad technique, SR can't do much.
02-01-2016, 05:26 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
There is some internal mechanical rumble going on, a mirror flipping and shutter curtains moving, creating a small quake. This things are known to create resonances and shake in the range of 1/10 - 1/100 second shutter speeds, visible at images. I don't know if this is mainly a problem for cameras without internal stabilization or just older models, but it might give a clue to why 1/60s can show more shake then other speeds.

http://beforethecoffee.com/sony-a7r-vibration-comparison-with-nikon-d3-and-sony-nex-7/
02-01-2016, 05:34 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
When the K-3 first came out there was a lot of disappointment until users started paying close attention to camera motion
I really noticed this with macro work - what I used to get away with using a K10D was simply not sharp with the K3 - technique very important at the critical margins
02-01-2016, 05:41 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. I'm going to have to work on this. It just seems that on my K5 I was getting more consistent results. I'll post some images when I get some time. I am trying this in the 200-300!mm range. It could have something to do with the extra resolution poise the extra sharpness added without the Anti-Aliasing filters. I mean I am getting very sharp images on many shot at 1/30, just not as consistently as I remember with my K5. Perhaps I just need to be more careful.
02-01-2016, 06:21 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tony3d Quote
My k3-2 seems to be iffy at 1/60! I can get repeatability at 1/125! Am kinda surprised that 1/60 is hit or miss? What are you guys experiencing?
Your post is of interest since SR can really help getting the best out of the K-3 / K-3II sensor, by allowing the use of a lower ISO and/or smaller lens aperture setting. SR has a sweet spot in terms of effectiveness versus shutter speed regardless of the focal length. By design, it is related to the bandwidth of the in camera accelerometer and sensor position actuation servo loop that acts as a bandpass filter for camera body displacement, it can compensate very well for a certain frequency of camera movement, while is does not compensate slow camera motion or very fast camera motion. Shutter speed during which there's not record-able motion is related to the center frequency of the SR servo. The SR sevo loop gain / phase changes with the lens FL (that's why you have to enter a FL number when using SR with manual lenses), but that is limited due to stability issues. I guess 4 stops of SR is achievable at a certain range of focal lengths and shutter speed but then drops outside of this range. My experience with the DA300, at SR can roughly compensate for 1 stop (1/180), and 2 stops (1/90) is not repeatable.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 02-01-2016 at 06:26 AM.