Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2016, 04:41 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-3 flash

I have a K-3 mk1 and the flash is firing when its still down. I don`t seem to be able to turn the flash off either. Does anyone know how to do this or is it a fault with the camera. Is updated firmware wise and this has recently developed not doing the whole time of ownership.

02-02-2016, 05:00 AM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by philjclay101 Quote
I have a K-3 mk1 and the flash is firing when its still down. I don`t seem to be able to turn the flash off either. Does anyone know how to do this or is it a fault with the camera. Is updated firmware wise and this has recently developed not doing the whole time of ownership.

Second question first, yes the latest version of firmware for the K-3, ver. 1.21 is not a problem so follow the firmware update instructions and update the camera. First question, you might try a hard reset by removing the battery and replacing it. Good luck.
02-02-2016, 05:12 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I had a similar problem (flash always firing, couldn´t go faster than 1/180 in any mode), gave it to my pentax service point and got it back a few days later. "we couldn´t find anything wrong with your camera, but gave it a sensor cleaning. Have fun" After that everything was working fine. Very mysteríous. One thing they said was that sometimes the inner workings can be disturbed when you connect some peripherals after the camera is already working. He advised me to always connect and turn on every peripheral before starting the camera. That would be weird, but i try to do it this way now and i had no problems since.
02-02-2016, 05:50 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Try a reset from the menu. I don't have a K-3 but on the K-5IIs it is the third page of the third menu (indicated with a wrench icon.) That will reset every to factory default but it will often correct odd problems like yours.

02-02-2016, 06:38 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you guys. Will try factory reset tonight. Firmware is 1.21 so shouldn`t be a problem. Will also try sensor clean if reset doesn`t work.
02-02-2016, 09:11 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by philjclay101 Quote
Will also try sensor clean if reset doesn`t work
That won't have any effect on the flash firing.
02-02-2016, 09:54 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Make sure the flash is fully down and the sensor that tells the camera it is down is working. Not 100% sure what that looks like though. Probably a switch on the hinge or on the latch. I do think there is a mechanical switch of some kind and if it is not activated the camera still thinks the flash is up.
02-02-2016, 10:14 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thats what I thought so will check the switch. It was fine for months then just started. Might have to send it to service centre.