Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2016, 11:15 AM   #1

hotshoe

hello everyone i have just upgraded from k7 to the k3ii and i love it. my problem is i have a couple of flashes one pentax Af-360fgz works great but my other flashes are Yongnuo YN560-II will not go all the way into the shoe does anyone know of a hot shoe extender.if so many thanks .

02-02-2016, 11:42 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do a search for "hot shoe sync adapter". You will get a bunch of options. These are designed to add a sync port to the hot shoe but most have a pass through function that should do what you want.

Another option would be a Wein safe sync, but those are much more expensive and you do not need the 'safe' part.
02-02-2016, 12:25 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Gesundheit!
02-02-2016, 04:11 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
Gesundheit!

02-02-2016, 08:03 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Reacher Quote
hello everyone i have just upgraded from k7 to the k3ii and i love it. my problem is i have a couple of flashes one pentax Af-360fgz works great but my other flashes are Yongnuo YN560-II will not go all the way into the shoe does anyone know of a hot shoe extender.if so many thanks .
My af360Gz fits the k3ii fine. The. Yongnuo fits but it is very tight.
02-02-2016, 09:12 PM   #6
Veteran Member

The optimal solution I think would be the Pentax Hot Shoe Adapter F. It will lift the YN flash up a centimetre or so above the K-3 II pentaprism. Would support P-TTL passthrough with Pentax flashes, and still trigger non-Pentax flashes too.

But just for lifting and triggering the Yongnuo, you could also use any old flash bracket to take the flash off the camera, and link flash to camera with a sync cable. Or use a cheap and compact radio trigger from any brand as the base to mount the YN flash on (as long as the shoe can still electrically trigger the flash when mounted), or use the trigger to trigger the flash remotely on a bracket or stand. Or use a corded remote hotshoe + a bracket.
02-02-2016, 09:42 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Does the Yongnuo have a plastic foot on it?

If it does, compare the thickness of the foot to the hot shoe on the camera. The hot shoe rails on the K3 may be just a hair smaller then what the hot shoe on the K7 was. If the hot shoe on the K3 is smaller, another solution would be to take a small file and file off the plastic on the foot on the flash. If you go this way instead of a bracket and cable, go very slowly so you don't take too much off.

02-02-2016, 10:46 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bigdavephoto Quote
another solution would be to take a small file and file off the plastic on the foot on the flash..
That is unlikely to work, I think. The issue seems to be that the YN 560 (like several other 3rd party flashes) has a protrusion or overhang at the front of the flash that dips a little below the level of the hotshoe mount. This overhang causes no problem with most Canikon cameras since the slope of the pentaprism falls away from the front of their hotshoe. But on many Pentaxes, in particular the K-3 II, the slope of the pentaprism rises up in front of the hotshoe. Which can block the flash from sliding forward all the way into the hotshoe. Pic related:

So the best option is to either raise the flash, or move it off the hotshoe.
02-03-2016, 01:36 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
That is unlikely to work, I think. The issue seems to be that the YN 560 (like several other 3rd party flashes) has a protrusion or overhang at the front of the flash that dips a little below the level of the hotshoe mount. This overhang causes no problem with most Canikon cameras since the slope of the pentaprism falls away from the front of their hotshoe. But on many Pentaxes, in particular the K-3 II, the slope of the pentaprism rises up in front of the hotshoe. Which can block the flash from sliding forward all the way into the hotshoe. Pic related:

yes this is the problem I am have the gps housing seems to be at a greater angle on the k3ii than the k7

---------- Post added 02-03-16 at 03:44 AM ----------

thanks for all the replies this has been very helpful thanks
02-03-2016, 06:11 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote

Having not seen or held neither the K3 ii nor a YN 560, I was taking a shot in the dark. If this is the case that the flash and camera designs prevent the flash from going on fully, then the best solution would be to either raise the flash up or to use a flash bracket and cable.
02-04-2016, 03:37 AM   #11
Pentaxian

What about generic hot shoe adaptors? Has anyone had any experience with a brand?
02-04-2016, 03:42 AM   #12
Veteran Member

This should solve your problem. FlashZebra.com: Multipurpose Hotshoe Adapter (Item #0064)