Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-16-2016, 06:16 AM   #1
Veteran Member

K3-2 firmware?

Hi All, is anyone else wondering why there has been no firmware update yet for the K3-2? Been a while now.

02-16-2016, 07:16 AM - 1 Like   #2

Photos: Gallery
maybe they have been hard at work on k-1? but i would like some sort of an update for k3-2 there are some annoying things that could be changed. for example card slot select. if you have two cards inserted in camera, and camera is set to write only to slot 1, and then you take out the card from slot 1 (to copy the images to computer for example) and in the meantime you power up the camera, naturally camera switches to slot 2 as main card. but then, when you put the card back to 1 you can not select it to write to slot 1, there is no option to select the slot. so you have to take out the card from slot 2, power up the camera so that the slot can change back to 1, turn off the camera and put the card back in slot 2. pretty annoying. I do not know if i'm stupid and nobody else finds this annoying. Is that the case on k3 also?
02-16-2016, 07:28 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zvon Quote
maybe they have been hard at work on k-1? but i would like some sort of an update for k3-2 there are some annoying things that could be changed. for example card slot select. if you have two cards inserted in camera, and camera is set to write only to slot 1, and then you take out the card from slot 1 (to copy the images to computer for example) and in the meantime you power up the camera, naturally camera switches to slot 2 as main card. but then, when you put the card back to 1 you can not select it to write to slot 1, there is no option to select the slot. so you have to take out the card from slot 2, power up the camera so that the slot can change back to 1, turn off the camera and put the card back in slot 2. pretty annoying. I do not know if i'm stupid and nobody else finds this annoying. Is that the case on k3 also?
K3ll does the same thing.
02-16-2016, 08:37 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Mine too. That's pretty dumb!

02-16-2016, 09:35 AM   #5
Veteran Member

It will come. I just can't tell when yet.
02-16-2016, 09:59 AM   #6
Pentaxian

It's the only PITA thing I find with my camera. My old Olympus E3 dual card I could switch between cards which came in handy when I would get stopped by security etc.that didn't like me shooting, I would simply turn the camera on switch to the blank SD card on the sly and show them the screen message no media on card for which they would politely tell me not to take photos...hehe.
02-16-2016, 02:50 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No updates yet because the camera is perfect as it is Remember that Pentax only really uses firmware to fix bugs and compatibility, not add features (with a few exceptions).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-16-2016, 06:14 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Aargh. Guess the SD dance is a feature, not a bug.
02-16-2016, 08:20 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Oakland Rob Quote
Aargh. Guess the SD dance is a feature, not a bug.

Really just a lack of a few lines of code. The button is already there, for switching between cards when in review mode. It should switch cards when in capture mode. A no brainer that was somehow overlooked. I can't help but feel Pentax wouldn't have done that and that it's just an example of the lack of attention to ergonomics under Ricoh.

It's the little stuff that added up to make Pentax great. It's also why Sony sucks so bad, even with the best sensors. If Ricoh drops that ball, might as well shoot a Canikon...
02-17-2016, 04:52 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
No updates yet because the camera is perfect as it is Remember that Pentax only really uses firmware to fix bugs and compatibility, not add features (with a few exceptions).
That's kind of an overstatement .
Don't get me wrong, I really like the K3 II but I'm still waiting for a firmware update which tries to fix the shutter lag, when using TTL flash. The working SD card switch would be also a nice addition, when I think about it .
02-17-2016, 05:02 AM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by matjes Quote
That's kind of an overstatement .
Don't get me wrong, I really like the K3 II but I'm still waiting for a firmware update which tries to fix the shutter lag, when using TTL flash. The working SD card switch would be also a nice addition, when I think about it .
How funny would it be if the full frame didn't have that SD switch! That feature is long overdue.

The 645D had it, then it just vanished on the K-3 and later.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-17-2016, 09:16 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zvon Quote
I have the same thing on my K-3 but I have a slight workaround of leaving the write protect slider on my second SD card locked so the camera only writes to SD 1. If SD 1 is full, the camera won't take pictures and it only takes a second to pop out SD 2 and slide the tab to the unlocked position so I can write to card 2. I only have to futz with popping the card out if my first card fills up rather than every time I take one of the cards out. This also helps keep pictures from being randomly split between both cards since I only have to plug one into my computer to download all the pictures.

Another advantage is this forces me to consciously acknowledge that half of my space is gone, so I realize if I need to slow down on how many pictures I'm taking, such as on vacation where I don't have access to a computer to dump my cards. (Not that I've ever run out of space since I upgraded to two 64GB cards.)