Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-16-2016, 06:08 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Purchase a used K-3?

I am in need of a new camera specifically for weddings. My trusty K-5ii has a broken LCD that needs to be repaired and I honestly need a backup or replacement camera for the upcoming wedding season.

I do see some options to buy the K-3 for $550 or less used. I am deeply concerned about the mirror flap issues and want to know your feelings about buying a used K-3 considering its history. NOTE: One I am specifically interested in is in the SN range for the mirror flop issue.

Obviously, if I were a portrait guy only it would be acceptable to risk a floppy mirror every so often, but as a wedding guy I am concerned. If you feel it is too risky, I may just buy a used K-5iis and call it a day.

What are your thoughts?

02-16-2016, 06:12 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Why not the K-3II? Only $250 more for new. Seems like a prudent investment if it's your livelihood; am I missing something?
02-16-2016, 06:25 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I own two K-3 II, both with serial numbers within that faulty range. I've covered a whole bunch of weddings since last summer and only once experienced the mirror-flap issue. Of cause, if that particular issue is more pronounced with K-3 then it's a different story, but for me, I've been wondering if want to send in my cameras for the free repair at all, since I so rarely experience issues.
02-16-2016, 06:31 PM   #4
Pentaxian

The K3 does have a few different button placements and the files require slightly different processing, so if you don't have time to learn and experiment, it may be better to stick with what you know... Don't want to be making errors when it's critical shot time.
I personally have had zero issues with my K3, but that's a survey of one.

02-16-2016, 06:54 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Forgot all about the 'mirror flap' thing. I've both a k-3 and a k-3II, I think the k-3 did the flapping thing once, the k-3II never. So honestly I do not think it is an issue at all. The k-3 has been solid and so has the k-3II.

However as noted above the button layout is a bit different and you might want the same camera as a backup especially in a wedding situation. So in your case I might be tempted to just get another k-5II.

I have a k-5IIs that might be available. PM me if interested.
02-16-2016, 07:44 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Good points made here.

Weddings aren't my primary income, I will probably have about 12 weddings this summer, but this will be my weekend job. I may go with the K-5iis for the lower cost used and for the matching button layout.

I do have a line on a K-3 Silver with grip (25K shutter count) for $550. I am not sure if I should jump on it or not considering everything.
02-16-2016, 08:25 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I'd love to get my hands on a prestige edition K3 with grip...
For $550...
Yeah right! I'll keep dreaming, lol.

02-16-2016, 08:36 PM   #8
mee
Veteran Member

Are you not concerned about using a camera body that is second hand on commercial, one time (can't repeat) events such as a wedding? I mean you don't know what that camera body has been through before you got it.
02-16-2016, 08:37 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Alright, I found a near mint k-5iis and went with that. I know the K-3 is a "better" camera, but it costs more and will have a different button lay out. Also, my grip will work on a k-iis.
02-16-2016, 10:51 PM   #10
HYS
Veteran Member

Why not? I switched from K-5IIs to K-3. Now I like it very much.
The state of the camera should be decisive.
02-17-2016, 01:41 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I bought a second hand K-3 in excellent condition with low mileage and couldn't be happier
02-17-2016, 01:56 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I happily sold my K-5 IIs after comparing it to the K-3. The latter is a better camera in almost every way - especially with resepct to ergonomics and AF. ISO 80 would be the only caveat.
02-17-2016, 01:59 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes the K-3 is good, no complaints here, I just like the K-5's, something I like about the sensor and how it renders and the 80 ISO too
02-17-2016, 10:23 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Are you not concerned about using a camera body that is second hand on commercial, one time (can't repeat) events such as a wedding? I mean you don't know what that camera body has been through before you got it.
I've purchased many things used, including cars, cameras, lenses, and many other things. Just like any used item I'd spend a little while testing every function when you first get it and make sure it works. I wouldn't buy a used camera and shoot a wedding the next day, but if you use a camera steadily for a week you're almost certain to find any issues that may arise before the return period expires. After that it's probably about as likely as a new camera to develop a random issue.

With regards to cars, some people even consider used cars to be 'field certified' and any initial issues have probably been taken care of already.
02-17-2016, 01:14 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I'm pretty sure my K-3 is in the SN range for the mirror flop problem, and it has never happened on mine.