Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2016, 01:13 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Another pixel shift question re movement

When one shoots in pixel shift, and is shooting JPEG, if there is movement does the camera just use say the first image taken? or do some other processing so as to isolate just the areas that moved? I can't quite tell from my tests for sure, but it seems to be the former.

Shooting RAW, of course, the four images all have movement and one could manually mask the areas that moved.

I ask cuz I saw some speculation on the K-1 that it would have a "motion correction" mode in pixel shift, and although it was speculated it would/could compensate for movement, I am thinking it would just use ONE of the images, and not attempt to stack them.

02-17-2016, 01:18 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

My impression was that if neighboring pixels from the other frames don't match up, the JPEG process tends to drops them. But it doesn't work perfectly, so movement will still produce artifacts.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-18-2016, 11:45 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I put a couple of examples here: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

The annoying thing is that the JPEG image has movement artifacts, but they are the rather more ugly PS artifacts, not quite the same blur one gets with a single image. Or maybe I'm just seeing things.