Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2016, 05:24 PM   #1

K3 sensor does not reset between shots?

I have a K3 purchased 18 months ago. I have been very happy with this camera. I have used it for time-lapse movies using the built in interval timer. I am very happy that it allows 2000 images rather than the 1000 with my previous K5. Today I tried the camera and it did not work properly when collecting a series of images. The images started fine but the moving bits became blurry, almost as though I was getting time exposures rather than short images. I had success collecting a string of images with the camera several weeks ago and it has only started acting up after an airline trip. I put in a recharged battery and the problem persisted. I reset all of the settings to the defaults and the problem persists. Any suggestions before sending it to the shop?

The first and last images of a string of 8 images are attached. They were taken at 10 second intervals.

BugEZ

Attached Images

Last edited by BugEZ; 02-19-2016 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Add description of attached images
02-19-2016, 06:15 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Was the same shutter speed used for both? Was SR disabled?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-19-2016, 06:20 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Are you able to link to an image with EXIF intact (e.g. Flickr share)? Attaching images to a post or uploading to Pentax Forums strips the EXIF and makes for many comments with many questions.

1st question? What was the drive mode and shutter speed for the last shot.

Steve
02-19-2016, 06:38 PM   #4

Original Poster
sensor reset problem?

Steve and Adam, Both exposures were with 1/320 sec exposure. 80 second apart. Interval mode, single exposure. Shake reduction was enabled.

Is there a way to attach a larger image or include EXIF data?

BugEZ

Last edited by BugEZ; 02-19-2016 at 06:46 PM. Reason: shutter speed a bit faster 1/320 vs 1/300
02-19-2016, 06:41 PM   #5
Site Supporter

were you in the right mode? the last looks like an average. Ie, the result of averaging all the shots that came before it
02-19-2016, 06:54 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wibbly Quote
were you in the right mode? the last looks like an average. Ie, the result of averaging all the shots that came before it
I thought the same (interval composite mode rather than interval mode) except that I believe the OP indicated that it was the last of a series of 8 and that the image above it was first in the same series.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 02-19-2016 at 08:12 PM.
02-19-2016, 06:56 PM   #7

Original Poster
Wibbly,

I think I was in the right mode. However if I accidentally created the averaging by entering an odd ball mode, I would love to know how to disable it.

I have posted the two images on my Flickr account so that you can see the full scale images and exif data (?)...

BugEZ

www.flickr.com/photos/96614572@N07/24770729349/in/dateposted-public/

---------- Post added 02-19-16 at 08:10 PM ----------

Wibbly,

I did a quick read and discovered that the Composite mode, right next to Interval mode on the menu... I have some egg on my face as the quick test I just performed in Interval mode worked just fine. I suspect I was in Composite mode and did not realize it when I gathered this sequence. A great relief not to have to send my camera into the shop!

Many thanks to the folks that contributed to my enlightenment! Who knew...

BugEZ
02-19-2016, 08:06 PM   #8
Site Supporter

well you've accidentally stumbled upon a VERY handy feature in the camera. the interval composite mode can be used the same way you'd use an nd filter.

this one is 9 shots averaged. it was a bright sunny day, i think the shutter speed was around 1/15th though i could be completely wrong.

02-19-2016, 08:08 PM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BugEZ Quote
Wibbly,

I think I was in the right mode. However if I accidentally created the averaging by entering an odd ball mode, I would love to know how to disable it.

I have posted the two images on my Flickr account so that you can see the full scale images and exif data (?)...

BugEZ

www.flickr.com/photos/96614572@N07/24770729349/in/dateposted-public/

---------- Post added 02-19-16 at 08:10 PM ----------

Wibbly,

I did a quick read and discovered that the Composite mode, right next to Interval mode on the menu... I have some egg on my face as the quick test I just performed in Interval mode worked just fine. I suspect I was in Composite mode and did not realize it when I gathered this sequence. A great relief not to have to send my camera into the shop!

Many thanks to the folks that contributed to my enlightenment! Who knew...

BugEZ
Thanks!

Here is an extract from the makernotes section of the EXIF:

Code:
---- MakerNotes ----
Pentax Version : 11.0.0.0
Pentax Model Type : 0
Pentax Model ID : K-3
Date : 2016:02:19
Time : 18:28:52
Quality : Better
Flash Mode : Off, Did not fire; Internal
Focus Mode : Manual
AF Point Selected : Auto; Single Point
AF Points In Focus : Center
Exposure Time : 1/321
F Number : 10.0
ISO : 200
Exposure Compensation : 0
Metering Mode : Multi-segment
Auto Bracketing : 0 EV, No Extended Bracket
White Balance : Auto
Focal Length : 55.0 mm
Saturation : 0 (normal)
Contrast : +1 (med high)
Sharpness : +1 (med hard)
DSP Firmware Version : 1.11.28.18
Effective LV : 13.9
Image Editing : None
Picture Mode : Program (HyP); 1/3 EV steps
Drive Mode : Single-frame; No Timer; Shutter Button; Unknown (10)
Color Space : sRGB
Data Scaling : 8192
Lens Type : smc PENTAX-DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL II
Extender Status : Not attached
Sensitivity Adjust : 0
Image Edit Count : 0
Camera Temperature : 30 C
AE Lock : Off
Noise Reduction : Off
Flash Exposure Comp : 0; 0
Image Tone : Bright
Shake Reduction : On (AA simulation off)
Shutter Count : 2678
Faces Detected : 0
Face Position : 0 0
Raw Development Process : 13 (K-3,K-3II)
I have bolded a few tags of interest. First is that the JPG quality was not set very high. If that was not your intent, you might want to bump it up. Second is the SR setting. It was turned on. If you were on tripod, switching it off will result in sharper images. Third is the Drive Mode. ExifTool was not able to decode the actual mode, but "10" is the value stored when my K-3 is in Interval Composite mode. Interval mode would have been "8". To confirm I loaded your file into the Pentax Digital Camera Utility and its information dialog confirmed:
Drive Mode: Single frame
Multi-Exposure: Interval Composite (Average)
I suspect you might have suffered a slip of the finger and accidentally changed the drive mode.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 02-19-2016 at 08:14 PM.
02-19-2016, 08:11 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BugEZ Quote
I did a quick read and discovered that the Composite mode, right next to Interval mode on the menu...
You updated while I was doing my forensics! Glad you figured it out.

Steve
02-19-2016, 10:57 PM   #11

Original Poster
Many thanks for your help in decoding my "fat finger" error! And for the tips on how to take advantage of the Composite mode I accidentally discovered.

BugEZ