Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2016, 09:54 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just ordered a K-3 II

Well I just ordered a K-3 II along with a 20-40 Limited, a 15 Limited and a 70 Limited.
I am excited to see what these Limited lenses will be able to do.

02-20-2016, 09:59 PM   #2
pjv
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
That is a very nice kit. Looking forward to seeing some photographs.
02-20-2016, 10:00 PM   #3

Original Poster
I can't wait to shoot with it.
02-20-2016, 10:03 PM   #4
pjv
Loyal Site Supporter

I think the only problem you might have is which lens to try 1st !!!

02-20-2016, 10:05 PM   #5

Original Poster
Yes it will be a tough decision. LOL
02-20-2016, 10:14 PM - 1 Like   #6

Original Poster
I would say every camera system has it's learning curve. I will work through it.
02-20-2016, 11:20 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

I remembered your complaining about learning curve before,s so I wet back and looked at your post history, and seriously, like every fourth post of yours for the past two years is about how various Pentax cameras are difficult to learn. You've made the exact same complaint about the DSLRs, the K-01 (A "huge learning curve", and the Q "a learning curve like no other."

Seriously, what gives? Pentax DSLRs and mirrorless are really no more complicated than any other comparable offering from other manufacturers, and the underlying principles and technique are all the same If Sarge has used a DSLR before, the learning curve won't be steep. If he/she hasn't, it might be. Simple as that.

My own jump from Olympus to Pentax DSLR several years ago took about a day or two of adjustment. From K-5 to K-3 ( a transition that according to you takes months), it was about 10 minutes. Already knowing the Pentax menu structure and controls and having a good understaning of technique and digital workflows, the K-01 and Q models each took less than an hour of shooting to become comfortable enough to make the majority of my shots keepers.

QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
Keep in mind that the K-3 II has a learning curve; that's another way of sayin' it's easy to take lots of cr@p photos before you get a keeper.

Give it about six months of shooting every day before making any judgements.

Cheers... M
02-20-2016, 11:41 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Yep. The learning curve thing is nonsense. Even in the digital era, a camera is basically a light-proof box with a shutter to let light in. New technology doesn't make it harder - it makes it easier!

02-21-2016, 02:20 AM   #9

Original Poster
I typically shoot RAW and do most adjustments in post. If I am not mistaken Pentax uses DNG for RAW correct? I will be able to take those files into ACDSee or Portrait Pro and get great images from them.

---------- Post added 02-21-16 at 03:57 AM ----------

I will give you a little history. I started my interest in photography in 1982 with my father's Canon AE-1. I was in High School and enrolled in to a photography class. I quickly became our schools head Newspaper and Yearbook photographer. My best friend and I shot every school event and while other kids were out partying after the game we were in the darkroom pumping out photos. I wore out my dad's camera in a year. The shutter died. I then had to borrow one of the school's Pentax K1000's. I picked up a used ME-Super and used it until it was stolen. For graduation my folks bought me a new Minolta Maxxum 7000 with a 35-70, a 50 and a 70-210. The very first AF camera. I ended up hating that thing. AF was terrible in low light. At this point I was in the USMC and I traded that camera for a Minolta X-700 with a 50 1.7 and a motor drive. I built up a decent system only to have it stolen as well.
When I got out of the Corps I decided to enroll in to NYIP. I picked up a Nikon N90 and a few lenses. I shot with Nikon for a while and even got a Hassy 501cm. Then digital happened.... I was at this point shooting some wedding and portrait work. I fought digital for a few years and saw the handwriting on the wall. At the time Canon was quite ahead of Nikon. My ex and I switched over to Canon. I got the first EOS-1 4mp pro body and she got the D-60 6mp body and some glass. I remember fighting the blown highlights and awful dynamic range. Shot Canon for a couple of years and Nikon caught up with them and surpassed them in the flash arena. We switched to Nikon and I got a D2x and my ex got a D200. We got a bunch of glass and really started to get our part time biz going. Then we split and all the equipment had to be sold. I stayed out of photography till about a year ago. I picked up a Olympus OM-D E-M5 and a few lenses. I then picked up an E-M5 MK II and have recently decided to start shooting pro gigs again. The switch from Oly to Pentax mainly has to do with size of the cameras and that MU 4/3 is probably at its resolution limit at 20mp. I chose Pentax due to their bang for the buck, in body IS (something I really liked about the Oly cameras), and the K-3 II has pixel shift, something the E-M5 MK II has as well. The Pentax bodies are still smaller but not tiny like Olympus are. All in all I think I will like the K-3 II a lot.
02-21-2016, 05:22 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter

In other words, there will be no learning curve as you have already learned it.
As I expected
02-21-2016, 05:34 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Love my k3-2 a lot! I came from a K5, and had very little problems adapting. It seems to meter slightly differently than my K5, but once I figured that out I was fine. A few controls are a bit different. Just flip through the very poor manual, and you should be fine. Like the other poster said, post is where you finally develop the results you want. I bought the desktop version of Lightroom, and couldn't be happier! Enjoy your camera!
02-21-2016, 08:13 AM   #12

Original Poster
I had MAJOR issues with LR after I installed Windows 10. Adobe tried several times to fix it and just could not get it done. I picked up ACDSee 9 and have not looked back. BTW is the Pentax software like all the others? Slow and limiting?
02-21-2016, 09:37 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sarge Quote
I had MAJOR issues with LR after I installed Windows 10. Adobe tried several times to fix it and just could not get it done. I picked up ACDSee 9 and have not looked back. BTW is the Pentax software like all the others? Slow and limiting?
It is based on Silkypix and is all I have ever used. I may get the full blown version, but for me for now if it is free it is for me.
02-21-2016, 09:40 AM   #14
Pentaxian

It's Silkypix under a different name. I'm a Lightroom guy myself, but I've played with the Pentax software, and it seems pretty similar to other packages. The one main advantage is that it has the same development profiles that are used in-camera, so if you want to match your output to the OOC jpegs or use them as a baseline, then it takes the least work.

QuoteOriginally posted by sarge Quote