Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2016, 09:54 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just ordered a K-3 II

Well I just ordered a K-3 II along with a 20-40 Limited, a 15 Limited and a 70 Limited.
I am excited to see what these Limited lenses will be able to do.

02-20-2016, 09:59 PM   #2
pjv
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
That is a very nice kit. Looking forward to seeing some photographs.
02-20-2016, 10:00 PM   #3

Original Poster
I can't wait to shoot with it.
02-20-2016, 10:03 PM   #4
pjv
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think the only problem you might have is which lens to try 1st !!!

02-20-2016, 10:05 PM   #5

Original Poster
Yes it will be a tough decision. LOL
02-20-2016, 10:14 PM - 1 Like   #6

Original Poster
I would say every camera system has it's learning curve. I will work through it.
02-20-2016, 11:41 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yep. The learning curve thing is nonsense. Even in the digital era, a camera is basically a light-proof box with a shutter to let light in. New technology doesn't make it harder - it makes it easier!
02-21-2016, 02:20 AM   #8

Original Poster
I typically shoot RAW and do most adjustments in post. If I am not mistaken Pentax uses DNG for RAW correct? I will be able to take those files into ACDSee or Portrait Pro and get great images from them.

---------- Post added 02-21-16 at 03:57 AM ----------

I will give you a little history. I started my interest in photography in 1982 with my father's Canon AE-1. I was in High School and enrolled in to a photography class. I quickly became our schools head Newspaper and Yearbook photographer. My best friend and I shot every school event and while other kids were out partying after the game we were in the darkroom pumping out photos. I wore out my dad's camera in a year. The shutter died. I then had to borrow one of the school's Pentax K1000's. I picked up a used ME-Super and used it until it was stolen. For graduation my folks bought me a new Minolta Maxxum 7000 with a 35-70, a 50 and a 70-210. The very first AF camera. I ended up hating that thing. AF was terrible in low light. At this point I was in the USMC and I traded that camera for a Minolta X-700 with a 50 1.7 and a motor drive. I built up a decent system only to have it stolen as well.
When I got out of the Corps I decided to enroll in to NYIP. I picked up a Nikon N90 and a few lenses. I shot with Nikon for a while and even got a Hassy 501cm. Then digital happened.... I was at this point shooting some wedding and portrait work. I fought digital for a few years and saw the handwriting on the wall. At the time Canon was quite ahead of Nikon. My ex and I switched over to Canon. I got the first EOS-1 4mp pro body and she got the D-60 6mp body and some glass. I remember fighting the blown highlights and awful dynamic range. Shot Canon for a couple of years and Nikon caught up with them and surpassed them in the flash arena. We switched to Nikon and I got a D2x and my ex got a D200. We got a bunch of glass and really started to get our part time biz going. Then we split and all the equipment had to be sold. I stayed out of photography till about a year ago. I picked up a Olympus OM-D E-M5 and a few lenses. I then picked up an E-M5 MK II and have recently decided to start shooting pro gigs again. The switch from Oly to Pentax mainly has to do with size of the cameras and that MU 4/3 is probably at its resolution limit at 20mp. I chose Pentax due to their bang for the buck, in body IS (something I really liked about the Oly cameras), and the K-3 II has pixel shift, something the E-M5 MK II has as well. The Pentax bodies are still smaller but not tiny like Olympus are. All in all I think I will like the K-3 II a lot.

02-21-2016, 05:22 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In other words, there will be no learning curve as you have already learned it.
As I expected
02-21-2016, 05:34 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Love my k3-2 a lot! I came from a K5, and had very little problems adapting. It seems to meter slightly differently than my K5, but once I figured that out I was fine. A few controls are a bit different. Just flip through the very poor manual, and you should be fine. Like the other poster said, post is where you finally develop the results you want. I bought the desktop version of Lightroom, and couldn't be happier! Enjoy your camera!
02-21-2016, 08:13 AM   #11

Original Poster
I had MAJOR issues with LR after I installed Windows 10. Adobe tried several times to fix it and just could not get it done. I picked up ACDSee 9 and have not looked back. BTW is the Pentax software like all the others? Slow and limiting?
02-21-2016, 09:37 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sarge Quote
I had MAJOR issues with LR after I installed Windows 10. Adobe tried several times to fix it and just could not get it done. I picked up ACDSee 9 and have not looked back. BTW is the Pentax software like all the others? Slow and limiting?
It is based on Silkypix and is all I have ever used. I may get the full blown version, but for me for now if it is free it is for me.