Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2016, 11:36 AM   #1

Flu card vs. Eyefi for "tethering"

What is the difference between Eyefi and the Flu card? What I want to do is to shoot portraits and have them show up on my PC for the person to choose which one on the spot, then I move that to a "keepers" folder. I previously did this with PK Tether with my K20D, but it's no longer compatible. Last time, I did it with a cable, but I had to unplug the cable each time I shot another portrait (which I pretty much forgot to do each time!). So now I'm thinking I should go with wiFi. Will this accomplish what I'm looking for - and if so, which is better? I don't know the difference between the two.Thanks!

02-23-2016, 11:51 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Neither do tethering.

Both will at least show in your web browser all the pics on the camera and you can download the one you want.

The Flu Card will also do remote shooting.
02-23-2016, 12:07 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jodzeee Quote
What is the difference between Eyefi and the Flu card? What I want to do is to shoot portraits and have them show up on my PC for the person to choose which one on the spot, then I move that to a "keepers" folder. I previously did this with PK Tether with my K20D, but it's no longer compatible. Last time, I did it with a cable, but I had to unplug the cable each time I shot another portrait (which I pretty much forgot to do each time!). So now I'm thinking I should go with wiFi. Will this accomplish what I'm looking for - and if so, which is better? I don't know the difference between the two.Thanks!
The Pentax O-FC1 flucard enables wireless remote control with the K-3, K-3 II, K-S1, and 645Z only. It's not compatible with the K20D (except for transferring files), but I wouldn't recommend it for that purpose because it's rather slow.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-23-2016, 12:43 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks. I've got the K3, so I shall give it a try. I don't necessarily need the remote shooting, but I suppose it might be nice. What I would prefer is that it saves the files to a folder rather than view in a browser. The cable worked great, it was just a pain to have to plug and unplug for each shot!

02-23-2016, 01:01 PM   #5

I know that you can do that with the earlier Eye Fi (X2 Pro, Connect), but I'm not sure about the Mobi, as I don't have any (have been hunting for X2 Pros constantly).

With the X2 Pro and Connect, you can configure the card to transmit to a PC. The image files will go into the folder and the folders can be based on date strings if you choose. They show up on the PC as long as the card can talk to the PC over wireless.

The X2 Pro cards also allow you to do kind of the opposite, i.e., don't send an image unless you mark it as Protected.

I think the Mobi cards something similar (send to a "desktop receiver") or they can also send to an tablet, like an Android or Iphone.

I don't know about the Flu cards.
02-23-2016, 02:59 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The FluCard can control the camera. It does not allow automatic transfer (or auto-import into Lightroom) of files to the computer.
The EyeFi can allow automatic transfer files to the computer (i.e. auto import to Lightroom). It does not allow control of the camera.

Neither are perfect tethering solutions.
For my work, it is more important to transfer files for viewing on the computer and auto-importing into Lightroom during a session. So the EyeFi wins for me.
But if you can deal with viewing by a web browser and only downloading individual images and control is more important, then the FluCard is the best option.
02-23-2016, 03:03 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
The FluCard can control the camera. It does not allow automatic transfer (or auto-import into Lightroom) of files to the computer.
The EyeFi can allow automatic transfer files to the computer (i.e. auto import to Lightroom). It does not allow control of the camera.

Neither are perfect tethering solutions.
For my work, it is more important to transfer files for viewing on the computer and auto-importing into Lightroom during a session. So the EyeFi wins for me.
But if you can deal with viewing by a web browser and only downloading individual images and control is more important, then the FluCard is the best option.
Again, the "Eye Fi Pro X2" cards (no longer easily available) can do selective transfer, where the card won't sent images until you mark them as Protected inside the camera. I don't know if the newer Eye Fi mobi cards have similar capability as I don't have any.
02-23-2016, 03:16 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thank you for all your help. Is either any faster transferring than the other? I will be working in close range with the PC and camera.

I'm with amoringello - Although the camera control with the Flu card is tempting, I'd rather just be able to have them imported automatically and deal with them on my computer (by moving the chosen one to the "keepers" folder) as I'd done in the past. However, I can get the Flu on closeout for $50 which is less than the Mobi (assuming it works like the previous X2 cards) so I'm leaning toward that.

But ... I also see there's the Toshiba FlashAir option. Is anyone familiar with that? It's much cheaper ($22 on Amazon)

I keep flip-flopping with this decision!

02-23-2016, 03:27 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I did not find either faster enough to outweigh the benefits of the other.
I think the Mobi and EyeFi Pro is a little faster, but I would not call either *fast* (about 4-5 seconds on the EyeFi v.s. 5-6 on FluCard for a medium sized jpeg -- about 16MB?).
For me, the workflow is going to be a bigger hangup and the FluCard would frustrate the hell out of me with even if the transfer speed was quicker.

I do find the Mobi and EyeFi to have a slightly greater range as well. But may have been the limited environments I've used them in.
And that is the biggest problems I've heard with reviews of the Transcend is the much shorter range. If I recall, transfer speed was really not up to the competition either.
But I have not looked at them for a few years. They may have improved....

---------- Post added 02-23-16 at 05:30 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ohaya Quote
Again, the "Eye Fi Pro X2" cards (no longer easily available) can do selective transfer, where the card won't sent images until you mark them as Protected inside the camera. I don't know if the newer Eye Fi mobi cards have similar capability as I don't have any.
Yes, the Mobi can do that as well.
I often use it when I'm out and about so I can transfer to the phone for email or Facebook snapshots, etc...
The Pentax camera's method for selecting an individual image (or set of images) is almost as frustrating as the FluCard. But it is stillquite useful when you don't want to transfer every image and fill up your phone, for example.
02-23-2016, 04:07 PM   #10

Original Poster
So, with the Flu (or others), when you're previewing from the browser, are you previewing what's on the camera? For this use case, I want all the images transferred to my PC automatically so the person can view them, choose their favorite, then I move that one to the "keepers" folder. This workflow usually has me flipping through 3-5 (or more) to find the one they like best. Waiting for each to load and reload might be painful. Although, I don't remember it being too bad when previewing via USB.
02-23-2016, 05:29 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by jodzeee Quote
So, with the Flu (or others), when you're previewing from the browser, are you previewing what's on the camera? For this use case, I want all the images transferred to my PC automatically so the person can view them, choose their favorite, then I move that one to the "keepers" folder. This workflow usually has me flipping through 3-5 (or more) to find the one they like best. Waiting for each to load and reload might be painful. Although, I don't remember it being too bad when previewing via USB.

I can only respond for the Eye Fi case: Yes, the files actually physically end up on your PC's hard drive, so you essentially end up with 2 copies as soon as an image is transferred, the original file on the Eye Fi card that is inside your camera, and a 2nd copy of the file on your PC's hard drive, wherever you told the Eye Fi software to put the images.

I think that you really have to try it to believe .

Also BTW, it looks like you can get "Sandisk Eye Fi" cards from China/Hong Kong. The best I can tell, Eye Fi has a deal with Sandisk to sell the older version, all 8GB ones, as far as I can tell. Also, from Googling, it looks like those Sandisk cards work with the original Eye Fi Center software on the PC.
02-23-2016, 10:15 PM   #12

I use the mobi eyefi card with my k50. I downloaded the app onto my nexus 6 and now every pic I take goes onto my phone (just don't use the app to back them up to the mobi wifi cloud, or they will want you to get a subscription). I find this really helpful, especially with street photography because I can text images directly to people that want copies (or any images for that matter). Also, since everything uploads to my phone, if I ever am forced to give up my SD card, I still have the pics.
02-23-2016, 11:16 PM   #13

Original Poster
What a great idea for street photography! Thanks all for your feedback. I bought the Flu card but haven't tried it yet. Now I'm wanting to get the Mobi to try as well since I'm liking the idea of it saving directly. In the meantime, I also tried the latest version of PK Tether and got that working with my K3. However, you can't adjust the shutter speed, so I'm not sure that's a viable solution. Ah ... technology! Wouldn't it be nice if there was but one solution that just worked!
02-24-2016, 09:56 AM   #14

Does the Eye-fi work with the Fire OS? I assume it would as long as I can install Chrome on it. I don't really care to physically transfer the files over since it will just be low quality .jpegs, or control the camera remotely. It would just be nice to display the pictures on a bigger screen so I can perfect the composition, and show my subject. Thinking about it, a long HDMI cable might suffice for me to plug into my TV where I shoot.
02-24-2016, 11:01 AM   #15

Original Poster
Can you shoot while connected to HDMI? I was not able using USB; I'd have to unplug, shoot, plug and view, repeat. (Sorry, I know nothing about Fire OS).

Just tried the Flu Card. Interesting, but it's not going to work for this need. I thought I could setting for viewing in browser, but it's too clumsy ... you can't just move from image to image, you have to go back to the thumbnails each time. I wish I could access the folder somehow and view the images that way. I guess I'll be trying the Mobi next.

Also, as a sidenote, I wasn't able to get the remote operation on the Flu Card to work properly using Chrome, but Firefox was fine.