Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
02-25-2016, 01:40 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-3 II Initial settings

Well, the big brown truck just delivered my K-3 II along with HD DA Limited 20-40, 15, and 70 lenses. Waiting on battery to charge.
Other than obvious settings such as language, etc. What are the common setting you guys typically use with this camera. I will be shooting RAW and plan on using DNG format.
Thanks for any input.

02-25-2016, 02:55 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The PF recommended settings should be essentially the same as for the K-3. See the link below from the K-3 detailed review:

Pentax K-3 Review - Recommended Settings | PentaxForums.com Reviews

I use most of these, but as with anything you may wish to revisit your choices after using the camera for a couple of days/weeks.

Steve
02-25-2016, 05:06 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations, sarge, you'll love the combo - I do. Apart from the customization settings (back button focus, the RAW/Fx button etc) the only real departure from those settings for me is High ISO NR in screen 2, which I have set to 'off' up to ISO 3200. I read somewhere that the high ISO NR was too aggressive in the K-3 series and reduced the IQ, so have turned it off up to the maximum level that I normally use ISO - didn't go beyond 3200 with the K-5 either. At this setting, noise is not intrusive at all, especially at low ISO of course. I have a couple of AF settings in the different user modes depending on what I'm trying to do. For best tracking, I have AF set on SEL3 (max points with tracking enabled), and Hold AF status (C menu, item 18) turned off.

I'm having fun with pixel shift mode in the K-3II, both on the tripod and using a hand-held technique for blending-out any movement artefact in a PSR TIFF processed in DCU5, using an in-camera non-PSR TIFF layered together in Photoshop. Then, using the eraser tool, you can selectively either a) remove the unwanted artefact to reveal the non-PSR picture underneath in select areas (which may be how the K-1 operates its enhanced PSR mode) or b) with the non-SR TIFF on top, erase select areas to provide extra sharpness and colour rendition in specific areas. Who knows, this might be included in a future firmware update; there haven't been any for the K-3II yet, which is unusual. I'll upload a picture taken with manual PSR technique a) - if I can figure out how to do it.

Enjoy!
02-25-2016, 06:48 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
Congratulations, sarge, you'll love the combo - I do. Apart from the customization settings (back button focus, the RAW/Fx button etc) the only real departure from those settings for me is High ISO NR in screen 2, which I have set to 'off' up to ISO 3200. I read somewhere that the high ISO NR was too aggressive in the K-3 series and reduced the IQ, so have turned it off up to the maximum level that I normally use ISO - didn't go beyond 3200 with the K-5 either. At this setting, noise is not intrusive at all, especially at low ISO of course. I have a couple of AF settings in the different user modes depending on what I'm trying to do. For best tracking, I have AF set on SEL3 (max points with tracking enabled), and Hold AF status (C menu, item 18) turned off.

I'm having fun with pixel shift mode in the K-3II, both on the tripod and using a hand-held technique for blending-out any movement artefact in a PSR TIFF processed in DCU5, using an in-camera non-PSR TIFF layered together in Photoshop. Then, using the eraser tool, you can selectively either a) remove the unwanted artefact to reveal the non-PSR picture underneath in select areas (which may be how the K-1 operates its enhanced PSR mode) or b) with the non-SR TIFF on top, erase select areas to provide extra sharpness and colour rendition in specific areas. Who knows, this might be included in a future firmware update; there haven't been any for the K-3II yet, which is unusual. I'll upload a picture taken with manual PSR technique a) - if I can figure out how to do it.

Enjoy!
I really look forward to putting this camera through it's paces.

I am very impressed with the physical aspects of both the camera and all the lenses. They all seem very solid and though not heavy they do inspire confidence from a ergonomic standpoint. It is really cool to see DOF scales on lenses. It has been a long time since I have seen that. These lenses remind me of the old SMC-A lenses I had way back in High School when I had an ME Super.
I just spent a little while going through the menus and setting things up the way I think I will want them. Can't wait till the weekend to be able to do some shooting.

02-25-2016, 10:34 PM - 1 Like   #5
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sarge Quote
I really look forward to putting this camera through it's paces. I am very impressed with the physical aspects of both the camera and all the lenses. They all seem very solid and though not heavy they do inspire confidence from a ergonomic standpoint.

Hi sarge. Congratulations on the purchase. Now you have it all in front of you, which lens goes first???? Good luck and good shooting.
03-01-2016, 07:04 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Just got my K-3ii yesterday from the UPS pickup location!

It was too dark by the time I got home to really test it out... A few shots in the kitchen under horrible lighting, but man does this camera feel good!
It's a huge improvement over the K-30, I can already tell.

Can't wait to click my DA*300 on this weekend!
I'll be trying out the tips mentioned above, thanks guys!