Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2016, 07:49 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Shutter/mirror problem with aftermarket battery

I don't know if this has been noted before, but it is a problem I experienced today. I have a k-3 that I bought new about 8 months ago. I have not had any prior issues with it. Besides the battery that came with the camera, I have 2 aftermarket batteries from different sources, one older than the other. I bought them for my k-5 and they have some use. I have been using the k-3 once or twice per week in the past few weeks in a wildlife refuge in Florida with my 300mm f4, shooting at high fps setting. Today, I replaced the OEM battery with the older of the aftermarket units. After a few minutes, and a few uses, the camera would fire off a few frames at high speed, then seem to try to speed up and then quit. It sounded like something (shutter or mirror) was operating much faster then usual, then it would stop. The camera functioned fine in single shot mode. After these rapid fire problems had repeated a couple of times, I tried replacing the battery with the newer aftermarket unit and the problem disappeared entirely. The problematic battery started with a full charge and still claims to be at almost full. Don't have any idea here, but I thought I'd report it. Needless to say, the older battery will be recycled as soon as I return home.

02-25-2016, 07:59 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mechmike10 Quote
Today, I replaced the OEM battery with the older of the aftermarket units. After a few minutes, and a few uses, the camera would fire off a few frames at high speed, then seem to try to speed up and then quit.
QuoteOriginally posted by mechmike10 Quote
I tried replacing the battery with the newer aftermarket unit and the problem disappeared entirely.
I have heard of other reports of similar problems. I can't say for sure, but I have suspected that as a battery ages, its ability to maintain voltage at high current draw is diminished.

Steve