Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2016, 11:36 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Rupert's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Texas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25,003
I shoot with a K5IIs and assume the SR on the K3 is as good or better? 99.5% of my shots are handheld with the Bigma 50-500, and the vast majority are at or near 500mm. SR is very effective, and I even prefer it over my Bigma's OS.

I have compared with or without many times and without the SR it is rare that I get a good clear sharp shot.

1/200 7.1 ISO 3200 @ 500mm handheld with SR


The K1 is said to have even better SR and that interests me greatly. Along with the other features it offers, it might be worth the investment even though I am only a purely amateur shooter.

Regards!

03-06-2016, 03:02 PM   #17
Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2015
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 313
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by frogfoot Quote
Hi, Terry. Here is the link Feature 3? PENTAX K-3 II | RICOH IMAGING
And i found another link K-3 Shake Reduction Overview | Ricoh Imaging Support but it's about K-3, not K-3II
Quote:
Q: Are there any lenses that the Shake Reduction (SR) function of the K-3 cannot be used with?

A: No, there are not. The SR function on the K-3 can be used with all supported lenses. Use a focal length in the range from 8 mm to 2000 mm for lenses for which focal length information cannot be obtained.

Well, that seems clear enough...FL up 2000mm should be OK for K-3.
This additional bit of information is helpful. I'm still trying to sort out in my mind how to mathematically model the process, to come to grips with how many stops improvement we could expect for a given FL...with lots of assumptions of course. If I get anywhere I'll report back.
In the meantime however, the above does help.
From the above, the 150-450 + 1.4xTC should be handled by the SR, and provide some improvement, and it would be good to have a good idea as how much that is.
Just recently I was shooting at 1/1600s handheld and getting some good results, but need to use high ISO to do so, so a lower shutter speed would be good.

Cheers,
Terry
03-07-2016, 07:28 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Rupert's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Texas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25,003
QuoteOriginally posted by tduell Quote
From the above, the 150-450 + 1.4xTC should be handled by the SR, and provide some improvement, and it would be good to have a good idea as how much that is.
Just recently I was shooting at 1/1600s handheld and getting some good results, but need to use high ISO to do so, so a lower shutter speed would be good.
After many thousands of shots with my Bigma lenses at or near 500mm and most of them at low or very low shutter speeds, I have long been a rabid fan of Pentax SR. It just works!
There is still a need to learn the handling techniques of a big heavy lens, and without that the results will deteriorate rapidly. You can't just go swinging the lens around while snapping and expect decent results...but if you master different holding techniques it can provide very usable results on a regular basis. I see a lot of people give up on long lens shooting because they fail to master the techniques required. Some may just lack the strength to handle a heavy lens, which I understand...they can get tiring pretty fast if you are not used to a heavy load in your hands.


Here I crossed my arms and used one arm to brace the other....a common technique that I often use. You can't hold that position long with all that heavy lens dangling out in space past your hand that is holding it and the lens, but a few seconds is usually long enough to get the shot.

Hand held 500mm 1/125 ISO 1000 f6.7 Not an uncommon result.


Regards!
03-07-2016, 05:55 PM   #19
Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2015
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 313
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
After many thousands of shots with my Bigma lenses at or near 500mm and most of them at low or very low shutter speeds, I have long been a rabid fan of Pentax SR. It just works!
There is still a need to learn the handling techniques of a big heavy lens, and without that the results will deteriorate rapidly. You can't just go swinging the lens around while snapping and expect decent results...but if you master different holding techniques it can provide very usable results on a regular basis. I see a lot of people give up on long lens shooting because they fail to master the techniques required. Some may just lack the strength to handle a heavy lens, which I understand...they can get tiring pretty fast if you are not used to a heavy load in your hands.


Here I crossed my arms and used one arm to brace the other....a common technique that I often use. You can't hold that position long with all that heavy lens dangling out in space past your hand that is holding it and the lens, but a few seconds is usually long enough to get the shot.

Hand held 500mm 1/125 ISO 1000 f6.7 Not an uncommon result.


Regards!
Hello Rupert,
Thanks for the above.
I also get good results from the SR using the 150-450 @450, but it is when I add the 1.4xTC that it becomes problematic.
It may be technique, but as others have opined it may be that the SR isn't capable at that FL.
Do you have a 1.4xTC and if so, are you still able to get good shots at low shutter speeds with your Bigma at 500?

Cheers,
Terry

03-08-2016, 07:23 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Rupert's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Texas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25,003
QuoteOriginally posted by tduell Quote
Do you have a 1.4xTC and if so, are you still able to get good shots at low shutter speeds with your Bigma at 500?
Terry, I don't have a TC. In the past I have not been impressed using a TC on most anything. I see mixed results from others.....some very good. I suspect you are right that the longer you reach out the harder it is for SR to work its best?

500mm on the Bigma is not a problem for SR in my experience. Provided your handling of the lens is adequate. I've done a lot of with/without testing over time and the SR is absolutely effective compared to going without it. I don't use the OS on my newest Bigma 50-500, it slows shooting time a little and is no better than the Pentax SR in my evaluation.

How do you like your 150-450? I am leaning toward one myself, and possibly a K1 to go with it. I have some questions first and will wait until I see some results when the K1 gets out in the wild.

Best Regards!
Rupert

Here is one at 1/60 @500 mm with the Bigma.....handheld. It suffers a little but is usable, after all...all squirrels are handsome!
In looking at my bird and squirrel shots, the most used speed is 1/200, which is usually a safe speed for SR if there is no movement in the subject.

I told him to freeze, but he is a young one and modeling is new to him...he'll learn in time!

Last edited by Rupert; 03-08-2016 at 07:33 AM.
03-08-2016, 07:34 AM   #21
Pentaxian




Join Date: Feb 2010
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,455
QuoteOriginally posted by tduell Quote
I also get good results from the SR using the 150-450 @450, but it is when I add the 1.4xTC that it becomes problematic.
Hand holding this setup is asking a lot of any SR system without having a 'perfect' technique, a lot of practice and trial and error might be neded
03-08-2016, 10:47 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Rupert's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Texas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25,003
QuoteOriginally posted by mohb Quote
Hand holding this setup is asking a lot of any SR system without having a 'perfect' technique, a lot of practice and trial and error might be neded
Yep, a lot. It has rained heavily here this morning and is dark outside, so I tried to see how low I could go to keep the ISO down. About 1/80 handheld is about the limit for me. Some 1/40 didn't turn out too good. Generally that 1/200 @ 500mm will get you a decent shot if you snap two or three....one is usually usable...sometimes all three. You have to be very steady and brace the eyecup to your forehead.

1/80 ISO 2000 f6.3 @ 500mm through my office windows.

Looks like she took a drenching!



I'm thinking the K1 might offer a lot better noise reduction which would allow more speed at a higher ISO...if so...I want one!

Regards!
03-08-2016, 01:49 PM   #23
Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2015
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 313
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Terry, I don't have a TC. In the past I have not been impressed using a TC on most anything. I see mixed results from others.....some very good. I suspect you are right that the longer you reach out the harder it is for SR to work its best?

500mm on the Bigma is not a problem for SR in my experience. Provided your handling of the lens is adequate. I've done a lot of with/without testing over time and the SR is absolutely effective compared to going without it. I don't use the OS on my newest Bigma 50-500, it slows shooting time a little and is no better than the Pentax SR in my evaluation.

How do you like your 150-450? I am leaning toward one myself, and possibly a K1 to go with it. I have some questions first and will wait until I see some results when the K1 gets out in the wild.
Hello Rupert, There were some extensive tests reported on the forum, it may have been somewhere on the Big lens club, can't remember, where long lenses were tested with and without Tcs, and if I recall correctly the Pentax 1.4xTC was excellent, as was the 150-450.
The K-1 is of interest to me if the suggested low noise is real...being able to shoot at higher ISO would be a real help.
I find the 150-450 to be very nice. It is a bit of handful but I am used to that now. IQ is excellent.

Cheers,
Terry

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
1.4x, 500mm, ability, cheers, dslr, fl, guessing, ii, ii shake reduction, k-3, k-3 ii, k3, pentax k-3, reduction, ricoh/pentax, shots, sr, tc, terry
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax K-S2 Shake Reduction IBIS Effectiveness anu l Pentax K-S1 & K-S2 4 12-13-2015 08:26 PM
K-3 vs K-3 II Shake Reduction mee Pentax K-3 11 12-02-2015 04:53 PM
Shake Reduction (SR) Effectiveness sc_john Pentax Medium Format 9 03-31-2015 12:55 PM
K5 II video shake mechanical or electronic shake reduction? Rice Pentax K-5 3 06-14-2014 02:51 PM
K-3 Shake Reduction vs K-5iis SR zoolander Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 14 04-21-2014 04:30 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:32 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top