Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2016, 01:51 AM   #1
Site Supporter

K-3 II Shake Reduction effectiveness

Hello All,
I am using the K-3 II with the 150-450 D-FA and find that I can handhold and get sharp shots most of the time.
I do have trouble when using the 1.4x TC, and rarely get sharp shots even when using decent shutter speeds.
I have managed a few good shots using the 1.4x TC to indicate that the combination is capable of sharp shots.
Anyone else shooting handheld with this setup and having similar problems?
Is the SR on the K-3 II capable of handling the 150-450 + 1.4x TC?
Interested to hear experiences and comments.

Cheers,
Terry

Last edited by tduell; 02-26-2016 at 01:53 AM. Reason: correct error
02-26-2016, 02:21 AM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I wouldn't expect great results from SR using a 150-450 and 1.4 TC. Too long mm and difficult for SR to know what to set itself at. SR works ok for me with 70-210 but ultimately I've found a monopod to give even more help
02-26-2016, 06:08 AM   #3
Pentaxian

At those kinds of focal lengths you won't get sharp photos without rigorous adherence to proper technique, even with SR.
02-26-2016, 06:57 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I try to keep SR off when shooting long, and rely on higher shutter speed. I've noticed the SR in my K3II REALLY doesn't like panning shots. The K5 handled that a lot better. So, now my SR is off by default. I'll use it indoors when I need to shoot with slower shutter speed.

02-26-2016, 07:09 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Photoshop Elements 14 has a shake reduction function. I never tried it yet. Maybe it can help.
02-26-2016, 02:57 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
I wouldn't expect great results from SR using a 150-450 and 1.4 TC. Too long mm and difficult for SR to know what to set itself at. SR works ok for me with 70-210 but ultimately I've found a monopod to give even more help
It knows the focal length so should know what to set itself at, but are you really saying that the SR can't accommodate that FL?
On that question, has Pentax published any info on the FL that SR will support? I guess that could be quite vague as it would have to assume an amplitude/frequency of vibration.
A monopod is a good solution for some types of shooting, but doesn't suit bird shooting.
I might try turning the SR off when using the 1.4x TC and see if that helps.

Thanks for your comments.
02-29-2016, 02:53 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Sorry to bump, but this seems to have slipped off the radar.
Can anyone answer my questions in #6, above?

Cheers,
Terry
03-03-2016, 10:54 AM   #8
Forum Member

Hi! I don't know how relevant it is to your case, but I just tried 60-250+1.4xTC handheld, and found that SR is equally effective with and without TC. At 250*1.4=350 FL I got sharp shots at 1/15s.

03-03-2016, 03:08 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by frogfoot Quote
Hi! I don't know how relevant it is to your case, but I just tried 60-250+1.4xTC handheld, and found that SR is equally effective with and without TC. At 250*1.4=350 FL I got sharp shots at 1/15s.
The SR works OK for me at 450, it's with the 1.4xTC that I have problems.
It would be nice to know if it's just an opinion or documented fact that the SR can't handle 450+1.4xTC.
Thanks for your info.

Cheers,
Terry
03-03-2016, 03:41 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tduell Quote
The SR works OK for me at 450, it's with the 1.4xTC that I have problems.
It would be nice to know if it's just an opinion or documented fact that the SR can't handle 450+1.4xTC.
Thanks for your info.

Cheers,
Terry
It's well known that as focal length increases, shake reduction systems must work harder and harder. So I think it's kind of common sense that any shake reduction system is going to be sorely pressed when shooting handheld at 630mm, which would actually be 945mm equiv on 35mm. It's just asking a lot.

I've owned a couple 500mm lenses in the past, and I know that even at 500mm you had to be careful to get sharp shots.
03-03-2016, 07:36 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
It's well known that as focal length increases, shake reduction systems must work harder and harder. So I think it's kind of common sense that any shake reduction system is going to be sorely pressed when shooting handheld at 630mm, which would actually be 945mm equiv on 35mm. It's just asking a lot.

I've owned a couple 500mm lenses in the past, and I know that even at 500mm you had to be careful to get sharp shots.
Sure, all the above is a given, I don't think anyone is going to contest any of it...but it doesn't confirm or otherwise whether the SR actually has the ability to cope with 450 + 1.4xTC or not.
Unless Ricoh/Pentax have actually said so, we are just guessing.

Cheers,
Terry

---------- Post added 03-03-16 at 08:19 PM ----------

Sure, all the above is a given, I don't think anyone is going to contest any of it...but it doesn't confirm or otherwise whether the SR actually has the ability to cope with 450 + 1.4xTC or not.
Unless Ricoh/Pentax have actually said so, we are just guessing.

Cheers,
Terry
Just to clarify a bit more what I'm on about, Pentax claim the K-3 II SR is good for 4.5 stops.
That implies a known vibration, a specific FL, and some criterion for comparing image with original.
If this is the case, what was the FL used and how many stops is the SR good for at other, longer, FLs?
If we had specific info like this we wouldn't have to use qualitative language when attempting to say if the SR will cope with a FL or not.

Cheers,
Terry
03-04-2016, 06:17 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Just to clarify a bit more what I'm on about, Pentax claim the K-3 II SR is good for 4.5 stops.
That implies a known vibration, a specific FL, and some criterion for comparing image with original.
If this is the case, what was the FL used and how many stops is the SR good for at other, longer, FLs?
If we had specific info like this we wouldn't have to use qualitative language when attempting to say if the SR will cope with a FL or not.
It would be nice to know their exact methodology, but I think it's safe to assume that like most manufacturer ratings, it's probably a best-case scenario.
03-04-2016, 08:51 AM   #13
Forum Member

QuoteQuote:

It was tested with 16-85 at 85 mm FL
03-04-2016, 05:03 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by frogfoot Quote
It was tested with 16-85 at 85 mm FL
OK, that's helpful.
Knowing the FL may allow some analysis of how the SR will cope longer FLs, and any additional relevant info may help.
Do you have a link to where the lens/FL that was tested came from?

Cheers,
Terry

Last edited by tduell; 03-04-2016 at 05:24 PM. Reason: correction
03-05-2016, 11:12 AM   #15
Forum Member

Hi, Terry. Here is the link Feature 3? PENTAX K-3 II | RICOH IMAGING
And i found another link K-3 Shake Reduction Overview | Ricoh Imaging Support but it's about K-3, not K-3II

QuoteQuote:
Q: Are there any lenses that the Shake Reduction (SR) function of the K-3 cannot be used with?

A: No, there are not. The SR function on the K-3 can be used with all supported lenses. Use a focal length in the range from 8 mm to 2000 mm for lenses for which focal length information cannot be obtained.