Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2016, 09:56 AM - 13 Likes   #1

I made a grip for my K-3

I really enjoy using my K-3 and I think it has fabulous ergonomics. It only feels a little too small for large hands - there is no place for the pinkie finger, and too little rest for the palm.
At the same time I found the standard Battery Grip to be too bulky and heavy for my use.
That is how I got the idea to make my own custom grip. I designed it myself in a CAD software and had it 3D-printed. I always wanted to have something 3D-printed
It adds 18mm (3/4 of an inch) of height, which makes it as tall as most pro Full Frame bodies.

After using it for some time now, at home and traveling, I am in love with my construction. For me it really has improved handling. And the fact that I have to remove it to charge the battery doesn't bother me very much.

Below you can see some photos of my colorful one-of-a-kind add-on grip - how do you like it?

Alex

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS 5D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS 5D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS 5D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS 5D  Photo 
02-27-2016, 10:01 AM   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice!
02-27-2016, 10:02 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Are you taking orders? I would love one of these for my K-5ii, Sometimes I want a bit of grip without the batter pack.
02-27-2016, 10:04 AM   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I like it enough to suggest you could make these and sell them as an accessory! Impressive!

02-27-2016, 10:08 AM - 1 Like   #5
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'd think you could sell a few of those in our Marketplace.
02-27-2016, 10:10 AM   #6
Veteran Member

PM sent LOL!!!!

---------- Post added 02-27-16 at 11:11 AM ----------

I want the first one
02-27-2016, 10:12 AM   #7
Forum Member

Looks great!

It gives the K-3 that kinda funky KS-2 look with different coloured baseplate!

Hurry up and sell a bunch of 'em before some Chinese company starts putting them on ebay and alibaba ... ;-)

Also, you could sell the CAD file too, if you don't want to get into the hardware deal.

Excellent work,
Newfie

02-27-2016, 10:15 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by alextea Quote
I really enjoy using my K-3 and I think it has fabulous ergonomics. It only feels a little too small for large hands - there is no place for the pinkie finger, and too little rest for the palm.
At the same time I found the standard Battery Grip to be too bulky and heavy for my use.
That is how I got the idea to make my own custom grip. I designed it myself in a CAD software and had it 3D-printed. I always wanted to have something 3D-printed
It adds 18mm (3/4 of an inch) of height, which makes it as tall as most pro Full Frame bodies.

After using it for some time now, at home and traveling, I am in love with my construction. For me it really has improved handling. And the fact that I have to remove it to charge the battery doesn't bother me very much.

Below you can see some photos of my colorful one-of-a-kind add-on grip - how do you like it?

Alex
QuoteOriginally posted by Newfie Quote
It gives the K-3 that kinda funky KS-2 look with different coloured baseplate!

Hurry up and sell a bunch of 'em before some Chinese company starts putting them on ebay and alibaba ... ;-)

Also, you could sell the CAD file too, if you don't want to get into the hardware deal.

Excellent work,
Newfie
Very clever !!
As mentioned by Newfie: watch for the Chinese knock-offs! Just patent the thing.( or maybe not, they'd copy it anyway)
JP
02-27-2016, 10:43 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The one concern I have is tripod attachment, I wonder if you could mold in a Swiss-arcs plate and how strong it would be.

Maybe you could just leave room for an arca plate?
02-27-2016, 10:56 AM   #10

Alex
Well done
02-27-2016, 11:17 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That kind reminds me of the grip for my PZ-1p. If you make more of those, you should add a place to attach a hand strap below the camera's existing grip. That way it can have two points of attachment and essentially you can "hold" your camera without using your fingers. It's great for long days of shooting.
02-27-2016, 11:54 AM - 1 Like   #12

Original Poster
Hi and thanks!
I am really overwhelmed by your positive reactions. And I really like your suggestions for an advanced design - especially the attachment point for a hand strap. And probably it is possible to integrate an Arca Plate into it - but that would be a little more complicated. Plus I rarely use a tripod

I am not too afraid of Chinese knock-offs - if I encouraged anyone to produce accessories for Pentax, that would be a nice thing. I don't think it is sophisticated enough to be patented
I was actually inspired by some smaller micro4/3s-cameras, where aftermarket add-on grips are already available (and more needed, I guess) like Olympus' OM-D series.

And unfortunately the grip is not compatible with the K-5 at the moment. It attaches just like the original battery grip by the tripod mount and a pin next to the battery door. That pin is in another position on the K-3 than it is on the K-5, that's also why their battery grips are not interchangeable.
02-27-2016, 12:03 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Neato! I've never really thought of the K-3 as too small, but that first picture of yours makes it look like a toy on a charm bracelet!
02-27-2016, 12:19 PM   #14
Veteran Member

And unfortunately the grip is not compatible with the K-5 at the moment. It attaches just like the original battery grip by the tripod mount and a pin next to the battery door. That pin is in another position on the K-3 than it is on the K-5, that's also why their battery grips are not interchangeable.
Instead of having the tripod mount fixed, could you have it in an adjustable slot so that it could accommodate other camera bodies? Or, possibly come up with a shape that fits all camera bodies, and include the mounting slot. A universal design for all.
02-27-2016, 12:26 PM   #15

Original Poster
Hmm the idea with the universal tripod mount is pretty neat. But I am not sure about the mounting pin - that one is much harder to make universal.
The grip needs two attachment points so it doesn't rotate. In the last of my pictures you can make out the other end of the pin in the bottom left corner.
I guess I would have to design a lot of individual, selectable pin positions. But that would be possible. I would just need one of every camera body to test it properly