Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2016, 12:39 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Rapid Battery Charger for Pentax K3

Looking for advice on purchasing a rapid battery charger for Pentax K3 battery. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

What a about the Adorama PT-44 AC/DC Rapid 8.4 volt battery charger?

Thank you.

02-28-2016, 01:01 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I use the Wasabi charger, not sure if it's any better than the OEM but oh well.
02-28-2016, 01:44 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

My advice is not to*.

Instead, spend the money on another battery.

That said, the Wasabi charger is much faster than the Pentax.

*You can find other threads on this forum that discuss battery life and how to prolong/shorten it.

Last edited by Quartermaster James; 02-28-2016 at 01:46 PM. Reason: clarity
02-28-2016, 03:31 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Quartermaster James Quote
My advice is not to*.

*You can find other threads on this forum that discuss battery life and how to prolong/shorten it.
What he said. Rapid charging is not recommended on a regular basis. I use the Pentax charger that came with my K-3 and carry my Wasabi rapid charger* with me for travel where using the car adapter may be the only option.

Steve

* Came bundled with two Wasabi batteries for about $25 USD...great deal.

02-28-2016, 04:31 PM - 1 Like   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
What he said. Rapid charging is not recommended on a regular basis. I use the Pentax charger that came with my K-3 and carry my Wasabi rapid charger* with me for travel where using the car adapter may be the only option.
Steve
* Came bundled with two Wasabi batteries for about $25 USD...great deal.
What HE said too!
I also bought a two-pack of batteries with charger (DSTE brand but basically identical to Wasabi and $10 cheaper). I can't vouch if the rated capacity is exact, but they seem to last as long as my original Pentax battery.

The original Pentax charger charges batteries to 8.4V.
The generic charger applies 8.6V to the batteries which makes it charge faster (and possibly to a slightly higher capacity) but warms the batteries up more on charging.

Heat causes the internals of Li-Ion batteries to break down and age quicker, and the faster you charge, the warmer the inside of the battery gets. Slow charging will help maintain charge capacity much longer. I leave my original Pentax charger plugged in at home and recharge my batteries overnight, but my generic charger is in my camera bag in case I ever need it in a pinch. This works out since the generic charger doesn't have a cord and charges faster, which is usually helpful when I get into 'pinchy' situations. I rarely needed to charge away from home when I had the one Pentax and two DSTE batteries, but thanks to a stocking stuffer I now have 4 DSTE batteries, and I haven't had to charge away from home since. (I'll run out of memory before I run out of batteries!)

TL,DR

Just buy a Wasabi or DSTE batteries and charger set and you'll probably never need to worry about charging until you go to bed (unless you use built in flash a lot).
02-28-2016, 06:25 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Quartermaster James Quote
My advice is not to*.

I'm planning on buying a another Pentax battery as well but was wondering about the rapid charger.. Thanks for the advice about the Wasabi
02-28-2016, 07:17 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by giselag Quote
I'm planning on buying a another Pentax battery as well but was wondering about the rapid charger.. Thanks for the advice about the Wasabi
Honestly,in my experience, taking care of your batteries in general is more important than brand.
03-01-2016, 01:34 PM   #8

Original Poster

Thank you for all the advice.

03-06-2016, 07:38 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Thank you for all the advice.
My experience is similar. Use the Wasabi charger when traveling when I have to. For regular charging, use the Pentax. The Wasabi batteries are crap. They will last about 6 months and then start to degrade horribly, in my experience. YMMV.