Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-08-2016, 11:13 AM   #1

pentax k3ii live view tracking AF--does it work on yours?

Has anyone tried the live view AF tracking mode on their pentax k3ii? On mine, the camera looks like it's tracking (ie. the green focus square moves around to follow my subject), but the lens is not driven and so the focus does not change from its initial position? I have to send my camera in for the recall anyway, but I want to get opinions on whether my camera has a more serious issue in this respect. thx for your input!

03-08-2016, 11:19 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ontariomark Quote
Has anyone tried the live view AF tracking mode on their pentax k3ii? On mine, the camera looks like it's tracking (ie. the green focus square moves around to follow my subject), but the lens is not driven and so the focus does not change from its initial position? I have to send my camera in for the recall anyway, but I want to get opinions on whether my camera has a more serious issue in this respect. thx for your input!
Probably not an issue. Live view tracking isn't a thing without PDAF sensors

I don't really know why this option is even in the menu to be honest.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-08-2016, 11:46 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
You don't need phase detect sensors to have a go at tracking.
If you move slowly to recompose, even my k-30 can 'track' that subject in live view.
As to continual successful refocussing though, as it tracks the object ...
03-08-2016, 09:25 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Probably not an issue. Live view tracking isn't a thing without PDAF sensors

I don't really know why this option is even in the menu to be honest.
Enjoy!

I agree with Adam...PDAF(dual pixel, to be precise) on sensor is the way to go,
check A6300's AF tracking

Ricoh won't use the sensor with PDAF-on-sensor in the near future, cause the cost and video feature doesn't has higher priority than others.
Just my 2 cents!

Last edited by souless; 03-09-2016 at 11:28 PM.
03-09-2016, 06:45 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the answers so far. I remember seeing that video in the past, but I can't tell because of the background noise if the lens is actually refocusing as the camera tracks the vehicle.
I agree that PDAF would be the way to go for live view tracking, but I would still love to know if anyone's K3II actually refocuses while tracking in live view mode.thx
03-09-2016, 02:25 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ontariomark Quote
I would still love to know if anyone's K3II actually refocuses while tracking in live view mode.thx
So too would I.

Tracking is useless if the lens isn't adjusting to keep it in focus.
03-09-2016, 08:10 PM   #7

Original Poster
I'll be shipping my camera in tomorrow for the recall and when I spoke to them, they thought the focus issue sounded abnormal. I will report back with their findings/adjustments after I get it back.
thx everyone for your input

03-11-2016, 02:55 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Veteran Member

I have a fairly good understanding of it, and it is actually my preferred option on the K-3 (same CDAF module as the K-3ii) because I use back button AF most of the time.

AF tracking does not follow a moving object, and it won't refocus the lens as long as the focus button remains engaged. This is why Adam questions its utility for advanced shooters. However, it is very helpful for recomposing static objects (which is what you are shooting whenever you're in live view...). So, you do the reframing then release and reengage the AF button in an instant and release the shutter. This is by far the quickest process for typical shooting situations. Moving the focus target to the right spot manually takes about 3x as long and is not any more accurate.

The AF tracking capability improved greatly on the K-3. The K-01 offers it, but does not track nearly as well as you reframe. On that camera, it is just easier to move the framing manually (and it doesn't move nearly so slowly because there are fewer "zones" that consequently offer less focusing precision). The extent of the difference in manual settings is pretty drastic, actually. The K-01 travels 8x8 (64 zones) vertically and horizontally - and can move quickly. The K-3 travels 34x66 (2244 zones) - and it really creeps along to where it's going as you might imagine.

Last edited by ScooterMaxi Jim; 03-11-2016 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Included the calculation
03-11-2016, 07:53 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
I have a fairly good understanding of it, and it is actually my preferred option on the K-3 (same CDAF module as the K-3ii) because I use back button AF most of the time.

AF tracking does not follow a moving object, and it won't refocus the lens as long as the focus button remains engaged. This is why Adam questions its utility for advanced shooters. However, it is very helpful for recomposing static objects (which is what you are shooting whenever you're in live view...). So, you do the reframing then release and reengage the AF button in an instant and release the shutter. This is by far the quickest process for typical shooting situations. Moving the focus target to the right spot manually takes about 3x as long and is not any more accurate.

The AF tracking capability improved greatly on the K-3. The K-01 offers it, but does not track nearly as well as you reframe. On that camera, it is just easier to move the framing manually (and it doesn't move nearly so slowly because there are fewer "zones" that consequently offer less focusing precision). The extent of the difference in manual settings is pretty drastic, actually. The K-01 travels 8x8 (64 zones) vertically and horizontally - and can move quickly. The K-3 travels 34x66 (2244 zones) - and it really creeps along to where it's going as you might imagine.
Thanks Jim, very useful tips!
I never think of using AF tracking to recompose!
Gotta give it a try!
03-13-2016, 07:58 PM   #10

Original Poster
Hi Jim,
Thanks for your response. On page 46 of the manual it says the following for live af tracking: "Tracks the subject in focus"
What you've described sounds like an interesting use of the mode indeed, but on the K3II, at least, Pentax themselves are saying that this mode should track the subject.
What you're describing is indeed an ingenious method of focus and recomposing, but it really isn't living up to Pentax's claim of "track[ing] the subject in focus", at least in my opinion. I'll be curious to hear what Sun Camera says it about it (Canada's service centre). Hopefully I'll have some info. to share soon...
03-14-2016, 03:18 AM   #11
Unregistered User

My understanding of this weird feature is that it tracks but it will not refocus unless I order it to.
03-15-2016, 12:16 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Yes, the wording is the same on P. 44 of the K-3 manual.

I tested it out with a prime lens, good light, moving the high-contrast object slowly. It somewhat follows, so in a sense it tracks. So, in good conditions with an easily identified object moving exactly along the film plane, it would work. Personally, I only use live view for static objects. Obviously when I'm shooting the K-01 I have no choice.

In any event, as poor as the tracking feature is for its assumed purpose, using it on the K-3 for quick recomposition works surprisingly well. For whatever reason, it tends to track better that way (assuming that the subject has recognizable texture); in order to assure that my movement of the camera hasn't thrown off focus, I then quickly lift my thumb off the AF and repress it. If the focusing fails in live view, I just switch to MF. However, that problem doesn't show up in the vast majority of situations.
03-16-2016, 12:18 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
Yes, the wording is the same on P. 44 of the K-3 manual.

I tested it out with a prime lens, good light, moving the high-contrast object slowly. It somewhat follows, so in a sense it tracks. So, in good conditions with an easily identified object moving exactly along the film plane, it would work. Personally, I only use live view for static objects. Obviously when I'm shooting the K-01 I have no choice.

In any event, as poor as the tracking feature is for its assumed purpose, using it on the K-3 for quick recomposition works surprisingly well. For whatever reason, it tends to track better that way (assuming that the subject has recognizable texture); in order to assure that my movement of the camera hasn't thrown off focus, I then quickly lift my thumb off the AF and repress it. If the focusing fails in live view, I just switch to MF. However, that problem doesn't show up in the vast majority of situations.
Thanks Jim for confirming this !