Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2016, 01:05 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
Would good K-1 sales slow down or speed up development of the K-3ii replacement?
Probably slow down in the first instance - the emphasis would be on K-1 production rather than R&D of a crop-sensor camera. The other thing is that a new camera getting out in the field invariably shows issues or weaknesses once it leaves a stringent test environment, and they may want to reserve some R&D for fixing any problems that arise or considering what should go into the K1-II. Currently the K3-ii is a competent professional-grade APS-C camera that is in no need of immediate supercession by a replacement; Ricoh can afford to bide their time.

03-09-2016, 01:08 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Would good K-1 sales slow down or speed up development of the K-3ii replacement?
You could argue that either way, couldn't you?

On one hand, good sales mean plenty of money, which means possibly faster K-3ii replacement.

On the other hand, good sales mean a busy production line (how many are there, anyway?) and no room for K-3ii replacement bodies?

It's a bit baffling to me that there would be one and only one production line for all cameras from a company, but supposedly one of the reasons the K-1 was delayed was due to fixing issues with early model K-3ii cameras. Maybe that was really just a heavy load on receiving/customer service/shipping/, etc, or on the (the one?) production line itself, I haven't seen said.

Does anyone know the actual manufacturing process at Ricoh/Pentax and whether all bodies pass through the same pathway or separate parallel paths?
03-09-2016, 01:10 PM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter

What @pathdoc said ^^

Ricoh/Pentax still have a minimal production line, but this will increase in the future with good sales.
03-09-2016, 01:52 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
What @pathdoc said ^^

Ricoh/Pentax still have a minimal production line, but this will increase in the future with good sales.
Sales that I hope to boost by buying a K-1.

03-09-2016, 02:02 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Most product companies run R&D as a % of sales so more sales means more R&D $. However, the rate they chose to invest in APS-C upgrades will depend on how that product line is performing and overall market trends. As long as it is still doing well then K-1 success will mean more R&D $ for new APS-C. If however K-1 dramatically cannibilizes K-3ii sales (could certainly happen) then they will likely pour more in to the presumably higher profit FF development. Others have already commented on manufacturing capacity which is also a constraint, though a solvable one.
09-07-2016, 05:01 PM   #21

I would like a Ricoh/Pentax N***n
D500 spec camera then that would keep me loyal. 😉
Focus tracking definitely needs a dose of Red Bull. 😊
09-08-2016, 08:30 AM   #22
Pentaxian

K-3II is just a little over a year. K-70 is quite new. My guess is middle to 3rd quarter next year. Just a wild guess.
09-11-2016, 01:56 AM   #23
Site Supporter

Just give me faster AF like the K1. I wonder if that is possible with the smaller sensor or if it would be possible using the new Sony sensor accommodated to the APSC sensor size.

09-11-2016, 02:14 AM   #24

From recent on line reviews, reports are are confirming that the K1 even is still lacking in afc tracking. 😣
After many year's of loyalty I'm very tempted to jump ship unless Ricoh can catch up with the big boys and upgrade the Afc tracking system.
09-11-2016, 02:24 AM   #25
Pentaxian

K-1 AF tracking is much better than the K-5 K-5 II. in the K-3-II successor it will be even better. Don't expect D5 performance. That camera is over 6000 dollars.
09-11-2016, 02:25 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rob2402 Quote
From recent on line reviews, reports are are confirming that the K1 even is still lacking in afc tracking. 😣
After many year's of loyalty I'm very tempted to jump ship unless Ricoh can catch up with the big boys and upgrade the Afc tracking system.
Nothing's perfect Pentax cameras do everything I need them to very well, but then I'm not a heavy AF.C user. If that capability is of primary importance to you, and current Pentax AF.C performance is actually causing you problems with - or severely limiting - your photography, then you may well be better off moving to a different brand...
09-11-2016, 02:41 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rob2402 Quote
The K1 is really pretty good with regard to tracking, particularly in crop mode. I think putting its auto focus module in an APS-C camera with a few tweaks would work just fine.
09-11-2016, 06:02 AM - 1 Like   #28
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
The K1 is really pretty good with regard to tracking, particularly in crop mode. I think putting its auto focus module in an APS-C camera with a few tweaks would work just fine.
Given that the K-1 AF module was designed for APSc and tweaked for K-1, further tweaking it in a fast-processor APSc flagship might let all kinds of nice things happen.

My bet is Pentax skunkworks is building AF.C predictive algorithms and we won't see a new flagship body spec. announced until 1q17 (though they might 'project' something sooner).

Ricoh's history has been constant, incremental improvement. Long journeys a step at a time.
09-11-2016, 08:02 AM - 1 Like   #29
Pentaxian

I wonder what makes Nikon and Canon's AF system better? What's in their design that Pentax can't do?
I do believe this is where Pentax lags behind.
09-11-2016, 08:19 AM   #30
Pentaxian

They are bigger companies with larger research departments and more patents. Pentax can't just copy Canonikon.