Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2016, 01:35 PM   #1
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Is this sort of mult-shot possible on K-3II?

This is something I'd like to be able to do but I don't think it's possible on a K-3ii. I'm posting here in case someone knows a workaround or bodge that can do this.

I'd like to take 5 shots at the same EV, but which vary two of ISO, shutter speed and aperture that I choose. For example if my perfect exposure is f/5.6, 1/500, ISO 800 then if I choose to do this with aperture and shutter speed, I'd like to press the shutter once but for the camera to then produce 5 shots at same EV: 1/500 5.6, 1/250 8, 1/125 11, 1/1000 4 and 1/2000 2.8.

Anyone know a workaround for what I'm after?

03-09-2016, 01:55 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Interesting concept. I eagerly await an informed answer.
Not having heard of this as an option before, I am wondering if you know of a camera that does do this?
03-09-2016, 02:00 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
Anyone know a workaround for what I'm after?
Yes, you can use five cameras in P mode, on a bench and fire them together with IR remote.
03-09-2016, 02:00 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Hi Nass. No, I don't believe so. There's a drive mode option that will shoot up to five exposures at variable EV values, but I can't see any method of doing what you indicate. Unless anyone knows different?

03-09-2016, 02:03 PM   #5
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Nope, never heard of it anywhere, just something I dreamed up as 'desirable'.

We all know about bracketing, which is like this but changes the EV. But I think in today's cameras there's so much latitude in RAW that conventional bracketing is maybe not as important as it once was. But, I operate a lot at wide open aperture and the depth of field is sometimes insufficient so I'd like a series of shots at same EV but different apertures so that one of the series always has the right depth of field. Lazy automationI know, but heck, isn't that why we have processors.
03-09-2016, 02:04 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
We all know about bracketing, which is like this but changes the EV.
Pentax added advanced bracketing on the K-5, Ricoh removed it on the K-3
03-09-2016, 02:05 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Nope, never heard of it anywhere, just something I dreamed up as 'desirable'.

We all know about bracketing, which is like this but changes the EV. But I think in today's cameras there's so much latitude in RAW that conventional bracketing is maybe not as important as it once was. But, I operate a lot at wide open aperture and the depth of field is sometimes insufficient so I'd like a series of shots at same EV but different apertures so that one of the series always has the right depth of field. Lazy automationI know, but heck, isn't that why we have processors.
Sort of like focus stacking. No automatic way that I know of.
03-09-2016, 02:08 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hasn't this question come up in the past?

I don't believe there is a way to automate this or similar sequence (arbitrary EV defined for a series of one-stop increment shutter speeds) using the in-camera features. That being said, it may be possible to do so with a remote tether and a little custom coding.

Steve

03-09-2016, 02:11 PM   #9
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Hasn't this question come up in the past?
Yeah I did raise it as desirable before, as I couldn't figure out a how. But I wanted to doublecheck - maybe someone knew of a way I hadn't spotted
03-09-2016, 03:18 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Would aperture bracketing do this for you?
I think some advanced triggers can do similar stuff, possibly through wifi
03-09-2016, 06:05 PM   #11
Site Supporter

The new Panasonics use 4k to grab a sequence of images with different focus depth so you can pick one or more as stills.
Those are 8Mpx limited and do not adjust the aperture though; it's cool but not as neat as your dream effect
03-09-2016, 11:14 PM   #12
Veteran Member

The (P)Z-1 would do that manually. You could manually set a shutter speed / lens opening and then hit the exposure lock button. You could then turn either wheel and the EV would stay the same while you spun the shutter or AV dial.
03-10-2016, 12:36 AM   #13
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Would aperture bracketing do this for you?
I think some advanced triggers can do similar stuff, possibly through wifi
Yes, this is how I currently bodge it, aperture bracketing. This at least lets me get 5 shots with a range of f/stops. Of course as it's classical bracketing that also changes the EV value between shots, but I use RAW so they have the latitude to make the exposures ok.