Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2016, 10:28 PM   #1
Veteran Member

First Time out with my K3-ll

Hi All, These are the first images I shot outdoors with my new K3-ll. I used my 18-135 lens, and these are the first Raw images I have ever shot. All the time I had my K5 I never shot Raw, now I think I'm hooked on Raw. Any suggestions?

Last edited by Tony3d; 08-06-2016 at 06:13 AM.
03-12-2016, 10:34 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The extra data in raw files definitely helps. What software are you using to 'develop' your negatives?
03-12-2016, 10:36 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
The extra data in raw files definitely helps. What software are you using to 'develop' your negatives?
Lightroom 6.3
03-12-2016, 10:37 PM   #4

Hi,
Do you like your K3II better than K5?

03-12-2016, 10:41 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kamisu Quote
Hi,
Do you like your K3II better than K5?
So far I really like the added resolution, but I have noticed it definitely brings out all the short comings of my 18-135mm's edge to edge sharpness. I notice this much more than on my K5.
Goin to experiment with pixel shift soon. I do think the auto focus is more accurate, and everything seems sharper without the aliasing filter for sure!

Last edited by Tony3d; 03-12-2016 at 10:52 PM.
03-12-2016, 11:00 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Can't wait to take some night photography with the k3-ll. Here's a shot in Itally with my k5. I love natural light photography!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
03-12-2016, 11:01 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pixel shift is fairly forgiving in good light, so long as there's not too much movement. I was able to do handheld @ 320mm using a picnic table to assist stability/shake reduction. Give it a try, it's pretty fun. Then play around with the astrotracer a bit.

03-12-2016, 11:06 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Auzzie-Phoenix Quote
Pixel shift is fairly forgiving in good light, so long as there's not too much movement. I was able to do handheld @ 320mm using a picnic table to assist stability/shake reduction. Give it a try, it's pretty fun. Then play around with the astrotracer a bit.
Have you tried the Astrotracer? Do you have any examples? I have a 120mm refractor on a Skyview Pro mount. Was thinking of aligning the scope, then mounting the K3 on the camera mount on top of my scope, and just try some wide angle views. Not to interested in mounting the camera body through the scope though.
03-12-2016, 11:17 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Sorry, no real examples right now so to speak. I just got my K-3II with my tax refund to replace my K-50 with failed aperture block, and most of our weather up here in PA consists of cloud (singular, no definition grey flat cloud....), rain, and snow. I have played with the 'tracer a bit, but didn't take the time to do the fine tuning, so I'm not happy enough with the results I got so far to waste my upload space. But I do have the results of the pixel shift handheld uploaded.

I didn't bother to crop or even resize them... they got downloaded to the pc from the sd card and then uploaded directly. Those images were taken with the SMC Pentax FA 80-320 f/4.5-5.6 zoom @ 320mm. The pixel shift does wonders to alleviate some of the softness of the lens at the wide end, stopping down didn't hurt either.
03-12-2016, 11:41 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sorry, no real examples right now so to speak. I just got my K-3II with my tax refund to replace my K-50 with failed aperture block, and most of our weather up here in PA consists of cloud (singular, no definition grey flat cloud....), rain, and snow. I have played with the 'tracer a bit, but didn't take the time to do the fine tuning, so I'm not happy enough with the results I got so far to waste my upload space. But I do have the results of the pixel shift handheld uploaded.

I didn't bother to crop or even resize them... they got downloaded to the pc from the sd card and then uploaded directly. Those images were taken with the SMC Pentax FA 80-320 f/4.5-5.6 zoom @ 320mm. The pixel shift does wonders to alleviate some of the softness of the lens at the wide end, stopping down didn't hurt either.
Nice! The middle one looks really good! I will try playing with that soon. I wonder if they will ever upgrade the function through firmware so we can have the motion corrections like the K1?
03-12-2016, 11:53 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tony3d Quote
Nice! The middle one looks really good! I will try playing with that soon. I wonder if they will ever upgrade the function through firmware so we can have the motion corrections like the K1?
It would be nice, but not sure if it's possible. It could be tied directly with the enhanced 5 axis sensor shift of the K-1. Only time will tell.
03-13-2016, 12:00 AM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It would be nice, but not sure if it's possible. It could be tied directly with the enhanced 5 axis sensor shift of the K-1. Only time will tell.
Good point! Never thought of that. Really love these Pentax body's! They really are solid, and everything just seems to be in the right place! The overall impression I get from Pentax is solid quality. Even their lenses seem very well built. Solid! Don't understand why they aren't selling a lot more camera's!
03-13-2016, 02:09 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The overall impression I get from Pentax is solid quality. Even their lenses seem very well built. Solid! Don't understand why they aren't selling a lot more camera's!
Pentax is growing after decades of obscurity and the fact that they've survived when many others have not, is a testament to their pursuit of what the Japanese call Ikigai and those of us independent enough to trust what we see and use and not blindly follow the leader or the convenient path.

http://theviewinside.me/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/graph.png

In terms of numbers, Pentax is in the shadow of Canon and Nikon, but I believe their current growth has a lot to do with the outstanding quality, features, and price of the K-50 as an entry level camera far superior (except video or AF noise) to Canon's Rebel T5 and Nikon's D3200; a flagship APS-C less expensive than Canon and Nikon but with unique features; a MF option far below the price of their competitors; and now the K-1 as an FF to aspire to.

My own passion for Pentax is in their primes lenses, WR zooms, and affordable (relatively speaking) MF. While Canon and Nikon battle feature for feature, Pentax seems to be on their own unique path.
03-13-2016, 02:14 AM   #14

Hi All, These are the first images I shot outdoors with my new K3-ll. I used my 18-135 lens, and these are the first Raw images I have ever shot. All the time I had my K5 I never shot Raw, now I think I'm hooked on Raw. Any suggestions?
Perfect demo for those who hesitate on the DA18-135. Fine job.
03-13-2016, 05:06 AM   #15
Imp
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
In terms of numbers, Pentax is in the shadow of Canon and Nikon, but I believe their current growth has a lot to do with the outstanding quality, features, and price of the K-50 as an entry level camera far superior (except video or AF noise) to Canon's Rebel T5 and Nikon's D3200; a flagship APS-C less expensive than Canon and Nikon but with unique features; a MF option far below the price of their competitors; and now the K-1 as an FF to aspire to.
I'd say the K-50 is comparable to even the T6i, and it beats the T6s in build quality, although the T6s has a top screen. It is more a 60d/70d level of camera