Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2016, 04:45 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
WPRESTO's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 23,534
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
- More focus peaking colours (red & yellow, not just white).

- Add options in the 'memory card' menu to manually specify which card to write to, and lock which card to write to first in sequential use. Sometimes the default card overflow writing sequence [1>2] gets stuck, and doesn't actually overflow anymore (eg when card 2 gets full, and card 1 has already been replaced), which stops the camera from shooting until both cards are manually removed and replaced again.

I particularly like the idea of getting red as an option for LVFP.

V-A-V memory cards: If the card in slot 1 has filled and the camera starts writing to card 2, you get a little time and use it to move the card from slot 2 to slot 1 then insert a fresh card in 2, I presume the camera writes to the partially filled card now in slot 1 following the last image file and without creating a new folder - correct?

03-17-2016, 07:10 AM   #32
Senior Member




Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Suceava, Romania
Photos: Albums
Posts: 132
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Also, I really liked, still like, the manual shake reduction on-off switch on my K20.
Why don't you assign the SR to the RAW/Fx button, this way you can enable/disable it with 1 push, easily, with confirmation to know if it's on or off in the viewfinder.
It is how i have it set up but, true, that's because i wasn't using the otherwise useful native function of this button.
03-17-2016, 10:13 AM   #33
bxf
Pentaxian
bxf's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Lisbon area
Posts: 1,041
QuoteOriginally posted by dasPaul Quote
I dont understand. Why is an STILL IMAGE (no matter how long exposure it had) categorized as video?
I have no idea whether or not the stated reason is correct, but if politicians and/or lawyers are involved in the decision making process, anything is possible.
03-17-2016, 11:19 AM   #34
Pentaxian
bobbotron's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Ottawa, ON
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,781
It would be awesome if the interval shooting modes could tell you how long of a time period you're setting up for, given a the number of shots, shutter speed and delay. I hate it when I screw this up and don't shoot for long enough. It would be super handy.

It would be amazing if the minimum interval could be 0, not 2 seconds.

Ability to turn off the sync speed limit, for doing HSS with off brand flash units.

03-17-2016, 12:17 PM   #35
New Member




Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 17
I have mentioned it several times already - fix access to composition adjustment option (simple fix, just copy it from K-5), add bracketing of several composition adjustment settings (simple feature). Both seem to be fairly straightforward and 100% software.
03-18-2016, 04:46 AM   #36
Pentaxian
FantasticMrFox's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Scotland
Posts: 2,097
QuoteOriginally posted by Sideway Quote
It's a taxation issue. For exposure longer than 30-seconds it'd be categorized as a video camcorder and taxed differently.
I think you are confusing this with something else - DSLRs cannot record videos longer than 30 minutes, otherwise they would be taxed as camcorders. This is unrelated to exposure in still images.
03-18-2016, 11:09 AM   #37
Pentaxian
ScooterMaxi Jim's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,464
The ability to enter the manual focus lens focal length precisely at start up, just as the Q system allows. It drives me crazy that my choices for entering the 14mm lens are 12 or 15mm; the difference is of some significance, but the incorrect EXIF is especially frustrating.

Some have said that possibly a larger (APS-c) sensor can't handle the precise calibration. While I find that logically doubtful - even if true - give me the ability to enter the correct length even if it defaults to another setting just so long as the EXIF gets recorded properly. Unlike some of the more complicated requests above, this seems like a pretty simple one given that Pentax has the code for it already.
03-20-2016, 11:16 AM   #38
Forum Member




Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Taiwan
Posts: 98
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
I think you are confusing this with something else - DSLRs cannot record videos longer than 30 minutes, otherwise they would be taxed as camcorders. This is unrelated to exposure in still images.
You're absolutely right! I got my facts mixed up. Sorry to cause the confusion.

03-21-2016, 11:10 AM   #39
Junior Member




Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bath, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 31
Hi; I am getting confused.When I click Firmware Info/ Options in my K3 menu I get ver: 1.03. But when I go to the Ricoh website I downloaded ver: K3_v 121 as the latest firmware. But i don't find any comments in this thread regarding v.121. I am experiencing lots of mirror flop resulting in two or more duplicate images almost every time I press the shutter release. Annoying and time consuming to say nothing of the increased shutter count. I purchased the K3 on ebay last winter while wintering in Florida and did not have this problem with well over 3000 shutter releases.But this winter back home in Canada I visited a local waterfall on the coldest day of the year -20C. That is when I really noticed the problem and of the 200 or so images I took that day fully half made duplicates. I at first put this down to the extreme cold. And now in somewhat warmer weather have experienced the problem far less. My question really is, is v.121 the latest K3 firmware and will it solve this problem or was it he cold.?
Any advice anyone?
Dick K.
03-21-2016, 11:27 AM   #40
Pentaxian
bobbotron's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Ottawa, ON
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,781
QuoteOriginally posted by LRNav Quote
Hi; I am getting confused.When I click Firmware Info/ Options in my K3 menu I get ver: 1.03. But when I go to the Ricoh website I downloaded ver: K3_v 121 as the latest firmware. But i don't find any comments in this thread regarding v.121. I am experiencing lots of mirror flop resulting in two or more duplicate images almost every time I press the shutter release. Annoying and time consuming to say nothing of the increased shutter count. I purchased the K3 on ebay last winter while wintering in Florida and did not have this problem with well over 3000 shutter releases.But this winter back home in Canada I visited a local waterfall on the coldest day of the year -20C. That is when I really noticed the problem and of the 200 or so images I took that day fully half made duplicates. I at first put this down to the extreme cold. And now in somewhat warmer weather have experienced the problem far less. My question really is, is v.121 the latest K3 firmware and will it solve this problem or was it he cold.?
Any advice anyone?
Dick K.
If you're getting it constantly, sounds like your shutter may need servicing. The v1.21 firmware is supposed to help stop the issue of runaway mirror actuation's, but your issue sounds a bit like a hardware problem. If you charge your battery all the way, does it change anything?
03-22-2016, 09:05 AM   #41
Junior Member




Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bath, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 31
Thanks For your quick response. You afraid you may be right that it is a hardware issue. But do you think doing a Firmware update is still worthwhile or would that have the potential to make matters even worse. I do also have a K5 and K20 both in good working order and I am mainly a landscape guy but the K3 is my birding choice and I will miss its tracking ability.I also thought I saw a post by Adam warning that the latest K3 Firmware had a bug.But that had to be 2 years ago as I have not been active on this site while traveling the last two years. Again thanks for your suggestion. A K1 is on my list just waiting for all the reviews and the bugs to be worked out.
Hope the weather in the nations capital improves soon.
Regards Dick K.
03-22-2016, 09:17 AM   #42
Pentaxian
bobbotron's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Ottawa, ON
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,781
QuoteOriginally posted by LRNav Quote
Thanks For your quick response. You afraid you may be right that it is a hardware issue. But do you think doing a Firmware update is still worthwhile or would that have the potential to make matters even worse. I do also have a K5 and K20 both in good working order and I am mainly a landscape guy but the K3 is my birding choice and I will miss its tracking ability.I also thought I saw a post by Adam warning that the latest K3 Firmware had a bug.But that had to be 2 years ago as I have not been active on this site while traveling the last two years. Again thanks for your suggestion. A K1 is on my list just waiting for all the reviews and the bugs to be worked out.
Hope the weather in the nations capital improves soon.
Regards Dick K.
I'm not sure it would make things worse, but in your case, I don't think it will solve things. :/ You're probably best off sending it off for repair/CLA.

I upgraded right from v1.0 to v1.21, it was a nice update. I've heard there are possibly bugs introduced, I've not seen them, the new firmware is great.
03-22-2016, 02:46 PM   #43
Junior Member




Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bath, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 31
Thanks again. I made certain my battery was fully charged as you suggested and fired off several shots with out any mirror flop. I then tried to load the firmware v1.21, But i was unable to un-zip the download from Ricoh. My usual double click did not work. Therefore when I attempted the upgrade it failed. I am using Windows 10 on my desktop and just can't adjust to Microsoft's so called improvements. My laptop is windows 7 so I will try it next.
Regards Dick K.
03-23-2016, 02:04 AM   #44
Senior Member
panonski's Avatar

Join Date: May 2015
Location: Zagreb
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 210
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LRNav Quote
Thanks again. I made certain my battery was fully charged as you suggested and fired off several shots with out any mirror flop. I then tried to load the firmware v1.21, But i was unable to un-zip the download from Ricoh. My usual double click did not work. Therefore when I attempted the upgrade it failed. I am using Windows 10 on my desktop and just can't adjust to Microsoft's so called improvements. My laptop is windows 7 so I will try it next.
Regards Dick K.

yes make sure the batteries are fully charged.
Beside that, I'm not sure would the firmware update resolve your mirror flop problem, because I read it's a hardware issue. When I was buying my K3, I asked in shop the seller about this issue,
and he told me the serie with that issue is not longer available in their store, and they have the new K3 from factory and they resolve that in next serie.
I often use burst or continuos shooting, and I had no mirror flop issue yet, not even once...

But I hope, upgared firmware will help you, you never know !

Last edited by panonski; 03-23-2016 at 02:39 AM.
03-23-2016, 03:16 AM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Bengan's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Stockholm
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 315
QuoteOriginally posted by LRNav Quote
Hi; I am getting confused.When I click Firmware Info/ Options in my K3 menu I get ver: 1.03. But when I go to the Ricoh website I downloaded ver: K3_v 121 as the latest firmware. But i don't find any comments in this thread regarding v.121. I am experiencing lots of mirror flop resulting in two or more duplicate images almost every time I press the shutter release.

If I remember correctly the "crazy mirror flop" didn't result in multiple pictures. It sounds more like your camera has decided to go into continous mode on its own. Still latest firmware is recommended.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
battery, button, camera, card, default, dslr, info, k-3, k3, list, mode, overflow, pentax, pentax k-3, sr, video, view
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What would you like to see in a 67D? ffking Pentax Medium Format 7 03-07-2016 09:36 AM
What features would you like to see in K-3's successor? (No FF!) mmichalak Pentax DSLR Discussion 82 04-06-2015 03:40 AM
What would you like to see in new DSLR? robert52 Pentax DSLR Discussion 21 08-25-2014 01:51 AM
What would you like to see in the K5 sequel? Rondec Pentax News and Rumors 36 08-22-2010 09:00 PM
What would you like to see in a Pentax compact camera? barondla Pentax Compact Cameras 16 04-15-2010 09:23 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:49 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top