Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
03-16-2016, 08:13 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pixel shift and a GPS.

03-16-2016, 09:01 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sideway Quote
It's a taxation issue. For exposure longer than 30-seconds it'd be categorized as a video camcorder and taxed differently.
Do you have a source for that? Video cameras can't take long exposures.

The astrotracer already allows greater than 30 seconds through the menu (but only when astrotracing). Nikon has a D800 spinoff that allows longer exposures in M mode.
03-16-2016, 09:11 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Perhaps an impossibility: handling of the noise at high ISO a bit better ?
03-16-2016, 09:16 AM   #19

It's a taxation issue. For exposure longer than 30-seconds it'd be categorized as a video camcorder and taxed differently.
thank you for that, I have been wondering about this for years and couldn't understand why it had never appeared on any camera and right across all brands 30 secs seemed to be the standard max

03-16-2016, 09:24 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd like to see an option to disable the "black bar protection" function when working with flash. As it is now, the hotshoe, the PC socket, and the pop-up flash all go inactive above max sync speed, OR in certain exposure modes the camera will lower the shutter speed to max sync speed if it senses you have a flash involved. I hate this feature and I want a way to disable it.

Let me worry about how to deal with black bars. Even if the option was only available from the debug menu, that would be fine. Most people will not want to avail themselves of it, but I do!
03-16-2016, 09:49 AM - 1 Like   #21
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I dont understand. Why is an STILL IMAGE (no matter how long exposure it had) categorized as video?
03-16-2016, 10:17 AM   #22
Veteran Member

I would like a feature that is a bit hard to explain but here goes.
When for instance I have the focusing dot up near the top in landscape mode I would like the ability to be able to put the camera in portrait mode and have the focusing dot stay at the top of the frame... So when I do portraits I don't have to change it every time I switch over.
Does this make sense? 😜

Randy

03-16-2016, 10:39 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
When for instance I have the focusing dot up near the top in landscape mode I would like the ability to be able to put the camera in portrait mode and have the focusing dot stay at the top of the frame... So when I do portraits I don't have to change it every time I switch over.
Does this make sense? 😜

Randy
Yes. Basically an auto-gravity detect such as exists for cell phone and tablet screens that automatically counter-rotate when you rotate so they are never "sideways."
03-16-2016, 10:48 AM - 1 Like   #24

I would like Pentax to add a feature of automatic turning off grip controls when camera is in horizontal position and automatically activate them when turned into vertical position. It shouldn't be a hardware upgrade unless K-3 has electronic level so it could be done easily.
03-16-2016, 12:02 PM   #25
Pentaxian

actually no, as you are not filming for 5 minutes. you are still taking just one frame.

But I would like to see if they could tweak the AF a bit more (other manufactures seem able to do that)
03-16-2016, 12:30 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
Does this make sense? 😜

Randy

you can do it, just by changing your focus to manual, and then rotate your camera the way you want
03-16-2016, 01:15 PM - 1 Like   #27
Veteran Member

Improved AF.C algorithms that other manufacturers have impressively delivered even years after the particular model came out - but we won't see that, because it would remove one of the few reasons to buy a K3 II.

More realistically, in interval mode I would like every shot to be taken with a 2 sec. delay and mirror lock-up. It's a useful feature when shooting the night sky and taking many exposures for later stacking. So far the K3 only uses mirror lockup for the very first picture, all the rest are taken without.

And longer maximum shutter speeds without having to use bulb. How difficult is it to offer an option to set a specific shutter speed longer than 30 sec.?

Last edited by FantasticMrFox; 03-16-2016 at 03:44 PM.
03-16-2016, 01:43 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by scottmasterton Quote
- longer than 30 secs for a long exposure (without cable release), why is the longest exposure time always restricted to 30secs...... let's have up to 5 min
That'd be nice, or even longer. The Leica S (even though it's a DMF) can go up to 125 seconds, so I'm sure Pentax can do something similar.
03-16-2016, 02:46 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Really?
03-16-2016, 02:57 PM   #30
Veteran Member

- The return of the option for real SR in video mode, as in the K-5/K-5II/K-x (in addition to 'digital SR' as is the K-3/K-3 II default at the moment).

- More focus peaking colours (red & yellow, not just white).

- Add options in the 'memory card' menu to manually specify which card to write to, and lock which card to write to first in sequential use. Sometimes the default card overflow writing sequence [1>2] gets stuck, and doesn't actually overflow anymore (eg when card 2 gets full, and card 1 has already been replaced), which stops the camera from shooting until both cards are manually removed and replaced again.

---------- Post added 2016-03-17 at 09:00 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
Really?
I think it was a joke.

The EU taxation issue only applies to the 30 minute ceiling set on continuous video duration in most DSLR's.