Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2016, 09:48 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
k3 prices up and down

just curious as to why k3 prices are now up considerably at b+h, and amazon as well.
a roller coaster of pricing activity..... guess i really dropped the ball when i had the
chance last fall to get a great deal on a new body....

dave m

03-16-2016, 10:05 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Prices go up, prices go down.............

I suspect Ricoh has a number of units they want to move through prior to the release of the next APS-C camera. They know that date, they know how many months away that is, they know how many units they have, so the math is not hard to calculate the number of units they need to sell each month to make that date. If they are behind on that curve the price goes down until they get back on track. Looks like they are back on and the price is going back up a bit. Still an amazing price for such a camera.
03-16-2016, 03:05 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
I dropped the ball as well when I let my wife talk me into using my small bonus check for something else rather than purchasing the K-3, last week when it was at around $645! Now I have to wait till Oct. And see what happens then.
03-16-2016, 04:55 PM   #4
Forum Member

It's a bit of a gamble 'fer sure

I too was watching prices and pulled the trigger last week on a K-3 kit with the 18-135.

For CDN$1300, after taxes, I got the kit and an extra battery. Did I get a great deal ... time will tell. The price in US$ before taxes would be equivalent to $867.

I was playing the waiting game but I too noticed that all of the K-cameras, that were heavily discounted until about a week ago, started going up in price. I could have had a K50 with the 18-135 for CDN$730, but it jumped up to $869 at Camera Canada, a great store to deal with. They didn't have the K-3 kit. Are Canadian retailers putting up the price because a Pentax rebate is around the corner ...

Also here in Canada, there's quite a bit of talk about prices going up in April as the purchasing contracts from the manufacturers/distribution chains are up for renewal and with the US$ up, so will be the consumer prices. However, I couldn't see older stock like the K-3 being affected.

But ... and here's a big one for me, I found it hard to get unopened kits that did not fall within the serial number range of those K-3s that are supposedly affected by the runaway shutter. Most of the K-3s were demos, etc.

Because I get a two-year warranty from Pentax Canada on the lens and camera, I figured I might as well bite the bullet and get what I wanted before stock dwindled more.

Might Pentax offer rebates to retailers to move the K-3 and K-3ii? I don't know and didn't want to wait until past summer when Photokina? occurs and some folks figure that Pentax might introduce the new 3-series successor. Plus I'm itchin' to go shootin'

Anyhow, that's my experience after watching the prices like a hawk for the past month.

For those in Canada, I picked up my camera, mail order, from Lens&Shutter out on Canada's west coast ... maaan .... ;-) Great service from Guy, their online sales manager.

I'm gonna put the price worry behind me and get down to shootin' as soon as I get some time!

Newfie