Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2016, 02:49 PM   #31
amp
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Newfie Quote
LOL ... I just got the camera few days ago and before that I googled on youtube a video and one link led to another, and the linked vid did the best job, for me, in explaining the concept of back focus and how to set up a generic camera for back focus.

I had no idea you could change from single shot focus to focus tracking ... very cool feature!

Take care,
Newfie
Thanks for posting that older link. It was really eye opening for me. I just started implementing these preferences in my camera, and so far I'm happy. I'm like many others, who usually relied on spot focus and recomposing.
Also thanks to Wired, who made it easy to understand.

03-18-2016, 04:37 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
"demanding" to explore and try all the possible AF settings of the K3
It is, particularly as the Pentax explanation of the K-3 AF features is cryptic.

I happily used single point AF-S and focus-recompose with my K-200D, K-x, and K-5 for years, and got by. The 11-point SAFOX AF of those cameras is very familiar. But the K-3 AF is different, so it has a learning curve, particularly the features designed to improve shooting moving subjects.

Other cameras (eg Canon) try to make the task easier for users in working with AF complexities by having menu settings that let users choose pre-defined 'usage cases' - eg below - which then automatically sets up the camera: all the AF point settings, AF hold duration settings etc for a specific type of shooting.

You can achieve similar with saved User Settings for the K-3, once you have things set up.
03-18-2016, 04:46 PM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well, that's why I always laugh when someone advises a newbie to "read the manual."
03-18-2016, 04:58 PM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Well, that's why I always laugh when someone advises a newbie to "read the manual."
I agree. Even simple little explanations like this (from the D610 manual), are lacking in the K-3 manual, but would be useful for anyone:

03-18-2016, 06:05 PM   #35
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
It is, particularly as the Pentax explanation of the K-3 AF features is cryptic.

I happily used single point AF-S and focus-recompose with my K-200D, K-x, and K-5 for years, and got by. The 11-point SAFOX AF of those cameras is very familiar. But the K-3 AF is different, so it has a learning curve, particularly the features designed to improve shooting moving subjects.

Other cameras (eg Canon) try to make the task easier for users in working with AF complexities by having menu settings that let users choose pre-defined 'usage cases' - eg below - which then automatically sets up the camera: all the AF point settings, AF hold duration settings etc for a specific type of shooting.

You can achieve similar with saved User Settings for the K-3, once you have things set up.
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I agree. Even simple little explanations like this (from the D610 manual), are lacking in the K-3 manual, but would be useful for anyone:
Thanks for the heads up, Rawr.
Do you think the eBook by Yvon Bourque would give a more precise and detailed use of the AF "things" for the K3 ?
JP
03-18-2016, 11:34 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So how do you switch quickly between spot focus and multi point tracking?
03-19-2016, 01:54 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Turn the rear e-dial 1 or 2 clicks while holding the AF mode button.

---------- Post added 2016-03-19 at 08:30 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Do you think the eBook by Yvon Bourque would give a more precise and detailed use of the AF "things" for the K3 ?
Could be worth a try, but I've not seen his book.

Believe it or not, a lot of what the K-3 AF does is similar to what Canon and Nikon do with their AF. Sometimes the terminology is even the same. So it's possible to learn a bit about the K-3 AF simply by reading some of the piles of material produced about Canon or Nikon AF.

Eg:

Canon DLC: Article: EOS-1D X and EOS 5D Mark III AF points & area selection
Canon DLC: Article: Master the EOS-1D X's AF System
A Thousand Words A Picture: Nikon Autofocus Guide: D7000 to D810