Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2016, 07:16 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What burns me (and pardon me if I'm tiresome on this point) is that the Pentax engineers spend so much time on fine-tuning this smart functionality but can't deliver user-SELect focus with manual focus lenses.

03-18-2016, 07:20 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dcBear78 Quote
Pentax trails here and with the K-1 not made any in roads into making up this deficiency.
Although the AF in some [high-end only] Canikon's may indeed be more evolved than the K-3's, I sometimes think a big reason Nikon and Canon's AF has a reputation for being better is because the manuals for Canon and Nikon cameras explain their AF features so much more comprehensively than the Pentax manuals do. So Canikon users know how to use their camera AF features better, perhaps.

For instance, the K-3 manual gives it's complex and capable AF system about 5 pages of thin coverage, but the manual for a camera like the 5DIII devotes 30+ pages to it's AF options, and even a modest APS-C Nikon like the D7200 devotes 16 pages in the manual to it's AF options.
03-18-2016, 07:28 AM   #18
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
For instance, the K-3 manual gives it's complex and capable AF system about 5 pages of thin coverage, but the manual for a camera like the 5DIII devotes 30+ pages to it's AF options, and even a modest APS-C Nikon like the D7200 devotes 16 pages in the manual to it's AF options.
I only need one line of instruction...."Use the center focus point and re-compose."

If it was all I had it would be all I needed. I do realize that for others that may not be sufficient...but I am not "others".

Regards!
03-18-2016, 07:35 AM   #19
Pentaxian

I have missed so many moving subjects because the multiple point set up started focusing on something other than my subject, I don't even try that anymore.

03-18-2016, 07:53 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I have missed so many moving subjects because the multiple point set up started focusing on something other than my subject, I don't even try that anymore.
I'm with Norm--I'm perfectly capable of screwing-up on my own, thank you, I don't need enginneers to assist me.

I'm not "old school", I'm just old.

Last edited by dadipentak; 03-18-2016 at 08:12 AM.
03-18-2016, 08:36 AM   #21
Veteran Member

I have missed so many moving subjects because the multiple point set up started focusing on something other than my subject
Did you combine Multi-segment metering with that? I believe it helps feed colour information into the AF to help it isolate subjects, and improve tracking, but can't do that job when in spot or centre-weighted mode.

And each of the 5 multi-point AF options in the K-3 has usage cases associated with them, for example [my speculation] Zone Select AF mode (with it's 9 AF points grouped together) works to reduce the risk of the camera focussing on the background rather than the subject, but is basically useful only when the subject is moving predictably. But, for example, Expanded Area AF [M] or [L] are for when your selected subjects (with an AF point initally on them) are moving unpredictably, so all 24 or 27 AF points need to get into the act to follow that target across potentially a wide area of movement.

Last edited by rawr; 03-18-2016 at 08:47 AM.
03-18-2016, 08:46 AM   #22
Pentaxian

OK< I'll give that a try....

I'd like this to work, but I find, I just don't have the capacity for fiddling around I used to. I used to be the guy that figured it out and told everyone else how it worked. Now I'm a guy who reads as much of what others figure out as his ADD can handle and then tries to make something functional happen.

03-18-2016, 10:25 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
Now he tells me...
Bill, I thought better now than never I didn't intend to be sarcastic about Artificial Intelligence, but there is a whole generation right now that is completely removed from a certain reality of cause and effect. So much code is written to automate everything that if it is perceived as technology, the blame or credit for failure or success is on the product and not the user.

In the same way the teenagers I teach think B&W film printed in a darkroom is so cool because you actually are engaged in nearly every step of the process, for many going manual on their DSLRs is a revelation and it really helps them to understand some of the semi-automatic modes. To my generation, of course, this is backwards, or at least we're more conscious if we want to go old school manual, new school auto, or compromise with well designed hybrids like quick shift.
03-18-2016, 10:34 AM   #24
Forum Member

Can the K-3's back button focus be programmed like this

Hi All,

Since we're on focus, I never knew what back button focusing meant until I watched this video:

Wow!

However, can I program the K-3's back button to behave like that:
  • single push > focus
  • press and hold > follow the subject (is that AF-C?)
There maybe a green button magic button in there somewhere too ... not sure.

Take care,
Newfie

---------- Post added 03-18-16 at 10:46 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Newfie Quote
Hi All,

Since we're on focus, I never knew what back button focusing meant until I watched this video: Back-Button Focus: Why EVERYONE should use that AF-On autofocus button - YouTube

Wow!

• single push > focus

Take care,
Newfie
Fughgettaboutit ... found the answer here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/38-photographic-technique/236970-perfect-...everytime.html
03-18-2016, 10:53 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Newfie Quote
Hi All,

Since we're on focus, I never knew what back button focusing meant until I watched this video: Back-Button Focus: Why EVERYONE should use that AF-On autofocus button - YouTube

Wow!

• single push > focus

Take care,
Newfie

---------- Post added 03-18-16 at 10:46 AM ----------

Fughgettaboutit ... found the answer here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/38-photographic-technique/236970-perfect-...everytime.html

You mean you don't know this using your k-3, and you need to find out from Nikon users? Just curious...
03-18-2016, 11:25 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dcBear78 Quote
My D810 still owns my K-3 in focus performance and I am not one of the people you are referring to. Pentax trails here and with the K-1 not made any in roads into making up this deficiency.
Following up on Norm's appropriate response, this is a long thread but you get the idea in reading the first 3-4 posts. Keep in mind the feedback comes from a pro shooter who is making the comparison to a Canon FF professional body (which the D810 is not).
Got to shoot with the K1 today...: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
03-18-2016, 11:42 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Well, if I'm shooting a landscape, a portrait, or a macro, I don't need tracking--hardly need AF for that matter. But the answer to the OP's question (and mine) seems to be that the multiple focus-point functionality is intended for moving subjects--right?
My problem is by the time I need it, I can't remember how to do it.
03-18-2016, 11:45 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

OK< I'll give that a try....

I'd like this to work, but I find, I just don't have the capacity for fiddling around I used to. I used to be the guy that figured it out and told everyone else how it worked. Now I'm a guy who reads as much of what others figure out as his ADD can handle and then tries to make something functional happen.
Exactly. I'm at the stage of life where learning a complex new system is challenging. I just don't have the attention span any more. Maybe that's why manual focus lenses and center-point AF are so appealing. If I miss shots or just can't lean on AF for birds, OK. I'll do what I can do or what I want to do. I don't think a 'better' AF capability would help me much.
03-18-2016, 12:53 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Those last few posts sure hit home with this AF/focus points/metering, etc ... such as explained by rawr in post no. 21.
I have come to the conclusion that I it's going to take me 10 seconds to fiddle with the settings each time I am attempting a (birding) shot, I might as well just use one setting a be done with it.
I must be getting dumber as the years go as I find it more "demanding" to explore and try all the possible AF settings of the K3.
03-18-2016, 01:08 PM   #30
Forum Member

Steal from the rest ...

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
You mean you don't know this using your k-3, and you need to find out from Nikon users? Just curious...
LOL ... I just got the camera few days ago and before that I googled on youtube a video and one link led to another, and the linked vid did the best job, for me, in explaining the concept of back focus and how to set up a generic camera for back focus.

I had no idea you could change from single shot focus to focus tracking ... very cool feature!

Take care,
Newfie