Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-19-2016, 05:25 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Annoying K-3ii issue - do you have it?

Overall, I like my K-3ii very much. But it has one "habit" that irritates me and in thinking about it I wonder if it is common to this model camera?

An example: I am in TAv mode. I take a picture at 1/500 and f5.6. For the next image, I want a slower speed so I turn the thumb wheel but there is no response in the viewfinder indicator. In other words, the f stop stays at f5.6 -- until I half press the shutter. After that, I can change the f-stop with the thumb wheel. Same issue for using the front wheel to change speed... I have to press the shutter half way before I can change any of the shooting parameters.

This irritates because there are many times I want to take the same picture at different exposures and by having to depress the shutter half way it slows me down a lot.

Thanks for your input!

John
K-3ii, 18-135mm, 55-300mm, 15m Ltd, 31mm Ltd, Sigma 105mm Macro

03-19-2016, 05:36 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think it's something on your body, either some weird setting I'm not familiar with or the body needs to go to the doctor. I've just tested using your exact parameters and as soon as I move the thumb wheel the f/stop changes. I don't need to half press the shutter
03-19-2016, 05:39 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Turn off the review function or reduce the time out. The camera will not respond until the image review times out.
03-19-2016, 06:28 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My K-3II reacts the same way as it does for Nass...

03-19-2016, 08:51 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Turn off the review function or reduce the time out. The camera will not respond until the image review times out.
Same here with the K3 (not the K3II), so reduce timeout you say ?
JP
03-19-2016, 09:43 AM   #6

I was frustrated by this as well until I realized that turning the dials _does_ change the settings even when the back monitor is not responding due to image review being on, at least in my limited testing a couple days ago when I noticed it in long burst shots. The top LCD and viewfinder show the changes and you can still get shots off while the screen is off for processing.

That said I'll still probably turn off image review by default in the near future because it takes so long.
03-19-2016, 11:11 AM   #7
Unregistered User

Same on the K-3, it is the preview that is the culprit.

03-19-2016, 12:09 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Now that makes sense... while you're chimping, the display is frozen. When I half press the shutter it turns the review off, so it works as usual. Duhhh.....

Thanks for the quick feedback from everyone.

John
03-19-2016, 12:11 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Same here with the K3 (not the K3II), so reduce timeout you say ?
JP
reducing the time the image is displayed on the rear screen does not 'fix' the issue but at a faster time out it is not as noticeable. Turn image review off to completely solve this.
03-19-2016, 01:43 PM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Johnontheroad Quote
Overall, I like my K-3ii very much. But it has one "habit" that irritates me and in thinking about it I wonder if it is common to this model camera?

An example: I am in TAv mode. I take a picture at 1/500 and f5.6. For the next image, I want a slower speed so I turn the thumb wheel but there is no response in the viewfinder indicator. In other words, the f stop stays at f5.6 -- until I half press the shutter. After that, I can change the f-stop with the thumb wheel. Same issue for using the front wheel to change speed... I have to press the shutter half way before I can change any of the shooting parameters.

This irritates because there are many times I want to take the same picture at different exposures and by having to depress the shutter half way it slows me down a lot.

Thanks for your input!

John
K-3ii, 18-135mm, 55-300mm, 15m Ltd, 31mm Ltd, Sigma 105mm Macro
To reiterate what others have said, instant review is the problem, since when instant review is up the rear e-dial controls the playback zoom.

Apart from getting in the habit of half-pressing right away, other solutions including swapping the mapping of Tv and Av on the e-dials, or disabling/shortening instant review.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: