Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-19-2016, 09:43 PM   #1

Sharpness vs Fine Sharpness

Hi, I recently bought a Pentax K-3 mk2, and I think I am fairly confident with menu settings except Sharpness(Fine Sharpness) parameter under "Bright" Custom Image. I would appreciate if anyone helps me understand the differences between the two, and provides me with advice on the Sharpness-related Custom Image settings.

Thanks in advance!

03-20-2016, 12:38 AM   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi Don. This same question was posted a while ago. Here is the link to that thread. Hope it helps.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/233329-sharpness-fine-sharpness-settings.html
03-20-2016, 01:37 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for your help!

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Hi Don. This same question was posted a while ago. Here is the link to that thread. Hope it helps.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/233329-sharpness-fine-sharpness-settings.html
Being a newbie to Pentax, I am afraid I don't quite understand the differences even after reading the thread linked. In other words, I wonder who prefers edge sharpening to global sharpening in reality. Anyway, I appreciate your help very much.
03-20-2016, 03:09 AM   #4
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi again Don. This is what I understand regarding the sharpness choice issue. The sharpness controls are for JPEG only, so if you shoot in RAW, you can disregard the settings. I will assume you are shooting JPEG to explain the difference. Sharpness and fine sharpness are 2 different settings where you use 1 or the other. Sharpness does the whole frame, while fine sharpness does not change the center sharpness but increases the edges. If the middle is already sharp and you have soft edges, you can use fine sharpness. If you increase the sharpness of an already sharp image, you introduce " noise " to the photograph. It can be confusing because if you put sharpness on +2, fine sharpness also goes to +2. It is the setting that you change that is the 1 that is saved. So if you change fine sharpness, you are changing all but the middle. If you change sharpness, you are changing the whole frame. I hope this makes sense. Others on the forum can probably explain it more clearly than I can. That is why I posted the other thread for you. I hope I have explained it for you.

03-20-2016, 08:39 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Hi again Don. This is what I understand regarding the sharpness choice issue. The sharpness controls are for JPEG only, so if you shoot in RAW, you can disregard the settings. I will assume you are shooting JPEG to explain the difference. Sharpness and fine sharpness are 2 different settings where you use 1 or the other. Sharpness does the whole frame, while fine sharpness does not change the center sharpness but increases the edges. If the middle is already sharp and you have soft edges, you can use fine sharpness. If you increase the sharpness of an already sharp image, you introduce " noise " to the photograph. It can be confusing because if you put sharpness on +2, fine sharpness also goes to +2. It is the setting that you change that is the 1 that is saved. So if you change fine sharpness, you are changing all but the middle. If you change sharpness, you are changing the whole frame. I hope this makes sense. Others on the forum can probably explain it more clearly than I can. That is why I posted the other thread for you. I hope I have explained it for you.
Sorry, but this is incorrect relating to how the range of Sharpness, Fine Sharpness, and Extra (Fine) Sharpness work (on JPEGs only).

Whichever of the three ranges is selected, the sharpening or un-sharpening applies similarly across the entire image. Essentially it serves as a "radius" setting for the sharpening requested. Personally, I prefer adding a small amount of Fine Sharpening - +1 or +2. (I also prefer using Natural instead of Bright - for more realistic appearance and to avoid red blowout which is common in the Bright default setting.) As you go further down the line to Extra it tends to give you the appearance of greater contrast - such as micro-contrast or structure (a Capture One setting) - as opposed to coarser resolution sharpness at the wider radius. If you are depending on JPEGs for posting or printing (I use them only for reference unless a quick turnaround job is being requested), the best look will depend on the particular situation and lens selected.

This link will show you the visual effects (best to compare -4 and +4 on all three ranges to see the full difference):
Pentax K-5 Sharpness Settings | Neocamera
03-20-2016, 07:45 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thank you [pjv[ and [ScooterMaxi Jim]

I've read the explanation on Sharpness Settings. Now I can fully understand how they work.

In fact, I am an 100% Raw shooter. However, I wanted to know all about my new gear where possible before actively using on location. Thanks again!