Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2016, 09:39 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Strictly as a backup, for travel, go with something small.

First choice for WR, WiFi and flippy screen (all very helpful for travel) - K-S2
Second choice for ultimate compactness and great features - K-S1
Third choice for cheapness - second hand K-01. The common battery is another point in its favour. I took it as my only camera on a trip to Argentina and it served me very well.

The other option might be to pack a compact, non-K-mount camera. I'm thinking of taking the Q7 with 08, 01 and 06 as my backup for my England/Ireland trip in July.

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 03-20-2016 at 09:45 PM.
03-20-2016, 09:57 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by quh86 Quote
the K-01?
yes yes yes....same battery for starters, so that backs up the K1s

Da 40mm, on the K-01....which will work ok on K1

The k-01 is the street shooter, K1 for landscapes/portraits....then the K50/K3ii as a sports shooter

Last edited by surfar; 03-21-2016 at 01:30 PM.
03-23-2016, 12:54 PM   #18

If it were me, I’d wait for the K-1 to come out and then pickup a used K-3. You might find a used K-3 at a pretty good price.
03-23-2016, 02:34 PM   #19

I got the K-S2 as my wife's camera that will also act as a backup during paid shoots.

03-24-2016, 06:57 AM   #20
Site Supporter

I just bought this https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/36-sold-items/317154-sale-sold-k-50-kit-r...200wr-dal.html
partly as a back up but mostly because there is a lot of photos I take either for testing or just to blast up on facebook that I really don't need to wear out my K-3 for. That and having spent 8 miserable weeks with the K-3 in the shop I really want a 2nd cam.
03-26-2016, 03:09 AM   #21
Pentaxian

I would go for cameras that would use the same batteries. Probably the k-3 would be fine. K-5II/IIs would also be good options. Good luck on your choice.
03-28-2016, 11:04 AM   #22
Pentaxian

You would have to start all this......lol. I guess I'm backwards as I just ordered a K-3ll as a backup to my K-3.....something is wrong here......lol.
03-28-2016, 11:26 AM - 1 Like   #23
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dlanor Sekao Quote
I guess I'm backwards as I just ordered a K-3ll as a backup to my K-3
Not really, I think they make an excellent combination. K-3 if you need the flash, K-3Ii if you want GPS or PixelShift. Same body, same controls, same battery. Makes a lot of sense to me.

03-28-2016, 02:41 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Not really, I think they make an excellent combination. K-3 if you need the flash, K-3Ii if you want GPS or PixelShift. Same body, same controls, same battery. Makes a lot of sense to me.
I actually think the K S2 is a better companion / backup to the K3II and that's what I REALLY wanted for my shooting style of LOW to the ground.......anyway that's what I wanted and instead got bought the K 3II by my friend that thought he was doing me a favor and owed me $$$.......Oh well , I can always sell it unused. Didn't want to be partially re-paid so just blurted out...."K 3II with a 18-185".......at least I'm paid back now.
03-28-2016, 03:30 PM   #25
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dlanor Sekao Quote
I actually think the K S2 is a better companion / backup to the K3II
Guess we will disagree on that. If I am shooting an event, or wedding or whatever and the main body fails I really, really do not want to deal with a different set of controls, body style and battery.
If you want two different bodies for two different purposes that is one thing. But as a backup, in a stressful situation (which I can tell you having a body fail in the middle of a shoot is stressful) I want as smooth a transition as possible.
03-28-2016, 03:38 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter

I think I'd see the K-S2 not so much as a backup, as something different and additional. I tried one for the first time at a show recently, having never handled any other Pentax DSLRs other than my own K5, K3 and K3II. I was amazed at how light the K-S2 is, and how compact - but also, quite different in terms of the things I normally rely on for shooting - especially the LCD (or lack of) on the top panel. I can see real advantages to the K-S2 in the right circumstances, but also some disadvantages if I was relying on it as a backup. I even find switching between the K3 and K5 occasionally annoying - just occasionally - if for no other reason than the position and feel of the rear AF button (as I use back button AF). When all's said and done, any of the current Pentax DSLRs would make a great additional body to the K3II, but I think I'd agree with @jatrax regarding a true backup...
03-28-2016, 03:41 PM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Guess we will disagree on that. If I am shooting an event, or wedding or whatever and the main body fails I really, really do not want to deal with a different set of controls, body style and battery.
If you want two different bodies for two different purposes that is one thing. But as a backup, in a stressful situation (which I can tell you having a body fail in the middle of a shoot is stressful) I want as smooth a transition as possible.
I agree with You completely ! We just have completely different needs. I abuse the **** out of my cameras , and don't shoot Pro even though I have made a nice income doing freelance Fraud work for two insurance Companies.
I would rather risk a lesser camera I'm very familiar with than a Flagship I have trouble using. I'm In...On...Around....or... At water level a lot......and never under pressure.

---------- Post added 03-29-16 at 06:43 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I think I'd see the K-S2 not so much as a backup, as something different and additional. ..... I think I'd agree with @jatrax regarding a true backup...
I agree completely.....and you said it quite eloquently.
06-15-2016, 07:46 PM   #28

Since my k3ii is in for repair Ive strongly been considering picking up a used k5iis or so for a back up, its just hard to spend more than half the cost of a new k3ii on a back up body. Or figure out how to get me two year old k50 serviced under warrenty
06-16-2016, 11:28 PM   #29
Forum Member

I use my K20D as my backup/second camera. Still works great. I also still have my old K10D and cheap tamron lens, for when I want to take a camera with me riding my dirtbike.
06-17-2016, 05:07 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter

Someone once told me that "Two is one and one is none". I always have a second body available. Even my lens ranges overlap quite a bit. What I have found is that the second body often has a lens on it too. I think that, as Adam said, a K3 would be an ideal backup for you. Whether or not a camera has a pop up flash is not a deal breaker for me, but once in awhile they do come in handy.