Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2016, 03:04 PM   #1
Forum Member

Determining zoom in K-3 viewfinder?

Hi All,

I haven't been able to find it in the manual; but is there a way to see what zoom your lens is at in the viewfinder?
This way I'll be able to set my shutter speed for handhelds for 1/zoomlength without having to remove my eye from the viewfinder.

Thanks,
Newfie

03-25-2016, 03:06 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Unfortunately you can't.
But over time you'll learn the FL just from the field of view.
03-25-2016, 03:13 PM   #3
Pentaxian

...or the degree of rotation of your wrist/of the zoom ring.
03-25-2016, 03:14 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Unfortunately you can't.
But over time you'll learn the FL just from the field of view.
Thanks bertwert,

I forgot about the magnifiation factor and when using an 80-320 FA lens I put my max shutter at 320. Doh! Why were my images soft ... ;-)
Lesson Learned!!

Take care,
Newfie

03-25-2016, 06:44 PM   #5
dms
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't have a F or later zoom handy, to check, but why don't you just take a picture and then review it? Not as convenient as a direct display but not bad.
03-25-2016, 10:56 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Newfie Quote
This way I'll be able to set my shutter speed for handhelds for 1/zoomlength without having to remove my eye from the viewfinder.
Depending on what mode you are using (Av,Tv,Sv, TAv or P), the camera read the FL range from the lens and adjusts the shutter speed automatically if it has not reached the limit of ISO (when in auto ISO mode) or aperture. When aperture is in auto mode and iso auto, If the aperture can't be wider and iso can't be higher, then the camera won't increase the shutter speed, but you could still let the shutter speed increase by underexposing via setting -1ev or less of exposure compensation. If you use a manual lens not having electrical contacts at the lens mount, the camera can't read FL information from the lens, and you have to set the adjust the shutter speed according to the FL you manually set.