Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2016, 08:07 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Steve is right (although the core version of dcraw I have, 9.26, CANNOT separate the images; it lacks -s to do so. Maybe there's another way, but I couldn't find it).

dcrawps gives you a lot of control over getting rid of the artifacts. It's basically like a masking process with set thresholds, or blending via opacity. Or sharpening or removing noise.

As I understand it, the process of utilizing the four raw frames into one is a substitute for the normal demosaicing that would be done with a regular RAW file. If you separate the four frames, however, that demosaicing has to happen. Which would defeat the purpose of pixel shift, which is to get full RGB for each photosite. Hence either a non-PS RAW and then PS of the same scene and use the non-PS RAW for the moved areas, or extract the first frame and use it as the non PS image in the process.

And yeah, with tons of rustling leaves or something across the whole image it sorta makes the higher resolution pointless since you can't use it.

03-31-2016, 10:06 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Oakland Rob Quote
Steve is right (although the core version of dcraw I have, 9.26, CANNOT separate the images; it lacks -s to do so.
I may be mistaken on that. Dcraw is pretty powerful, but maybe not that powerful

Steve
03-31-2016, 10:11 AM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As I understand it, the process of utilizing the four raw frames into one is a substitute for the normal demosaicing that would be done with a regular RAW file. If you separate the four frames, however, that demosaicing has to happen. Which would defeat the purpose of pixel shift, which is to get full RGB for each photosite.
Well put! Perhaps the mods can make this statement a sticky of some kind. There is a lot of misunderstanding of pixel shift with the most common being to conflate it with doing a super resolution composite. The two are not the same.

And yeah, with tons of rustling leaves or something across the whole image it sorta makes the higher resolution pointless since you can't use it.
You got it, though I can see an application where one part of the frame is consistently blurred where the rest is not (e.g. blurred water, detailed shore).

Steve