Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2016, 11:44 AM   #1
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: South Gloucestershire.UK
Posts: 11
K3 Firmware upgrade problems Help Please

Hi I have just bought a K3 firmware 1.11 and am trying to update the firmware to 1.21
Formatted via the camera the new SDHC card and downloaded the update into the DCIM directory on the SD card. There is nothing else on the card.
The battery is fully charged
The directions then state that once the card is inserted into slot 1, turn the camera on whilst holding down the menu button. This should bring up "Updates the camera firmware" appears in the LCD monitor.
Ver: 1.00/1.01/1.02/1.03 /1.10 / 1.11/1.20?1.21 will be displayed.
This does not happen - it is the standard menu screen that appears
I would be grateful if anyone can help me with this issue


03-29-2016, 11:49 AM   #2
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Prince George, BC
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,255
The upgrade file goes *beside* the DCIM folder, not inside it.
03-29-2016, 11:49 AM   #3
Emperor and Senpai
VoiceOfReason's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Nashville, IN
Posts: 5,124
Format the card in your computer, not the camera.
03-29-2016, 12:08 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 40,959
QuoteOriginally posted by Real Ale Quote
Formatted via the camera the new SDHC card and downloaded the update into the DCIM directory on the SD card. There is nothing else on the card.
As jbinpg said, move the file one level higher than the DCIM folder and you should be good. The file needs to be in the root directory of the card.

Pentax Firmware Update Guide - Tutorial Videos | PentaxForums.com


Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-29-2016, 01:33 PM - 1 Like   #5
a5m
Site Supporter




Join Date: Oct 2015
Photos: Albums
Posts: 472
As Adam and jbinpg said, put the firmware file in the main directory of the SD Card - not in any folders on the SD Card. Also format the card in the camera not the computer.
03-29-2016, 02:47 PM   #6
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: South Gloucestershire.UK
Posts: 11
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
As jbinpg said, move the file one level higher than the DCIM folder and you should be good. The file needs to be in the root directory of the card.

Pentax Firmware Update Guide - Tutorial Videos | PentaxForums.com
I moved the file out of the folder and as stated by yourself it worked first time. Many thanks to everyone who replied. It is much appreciated
03-29-2016, 04:37 PM   #7
New Member




Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 7
After reading all of the comments I still can't get the firmware update to work on my K-3. I upgraded to 1.01 quite a while ago but haven't been able to make the routine work since then. The Camera operates fine. For the record today I formatted the card in the camera, downloaded and unzipped the file, and moved the bin file to the SD card root directory. The firmware screen doesn't come up when I turn the camera on with the menu button depressed. I also deleted the DCIM file, but no dice. Any suggestions that haven't been mentioned? Do I have to send my camera back to Pentax? Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
03-29-2016, 04:51 PM   #8
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Niagara
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 791
QuoteOriginally posted by NorCalAl Quote
After reading all of the comments I still can't get the firmware update to work on my K-3. I upgraded to 1.01 quite a while ago but haven't been able to make the routine work since then. The Camera operates fine. For the record today I formatted the card in the camera, downloaded and unzipped the file, and moved the bin file to the SD card root directory. The firmware screen doesn't come up when I turn the camera on with the menu button depressed. I also deleted the DCIM file, but no dice. Any suggestions that haven't been mentioned? Do I have to send my camera back to Pentax? Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
just an idea as I have had a similar problem, make sure the FW update file does not have (1) beside the file. This could happen if you inadvertently downloaded the file twice, or more. Delete all the FW files from everywhere on your computer and SD card, start with a fresh download.

03-29-2016, 05:07 PM   #9
New Member




Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 7
Ah ha! I thought that I had to unzip the file manually and so created a second, then a third, . . . and so on. After I deleted everything and reformatted, downloaded, etc. it worked like a charm, Many thanks.
03-29-2016, 07:35 PM   #10
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Niagara
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 791
the trick is to remember this stuff next time, which I regularly do not! Glad I could help!
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, card, dslr, firmware, k-3, k3, k3 firmware, menu, pentax k-3, update
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax K10D Focusing Problems caused be firmware upgrade to 1.31 merzcm Pentax DSLR Discussion 6 01-16-2016 06:59 PM
Urgently need help with firmware update K3 please ! jpzk Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 9 08-12-2015 08:58 PM
K3 Firmware Upgrade Question Fenwoodian Pentax K-3 10 05-04-2015 01:36 AM
Firmware help please PD1117 Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 2 08-19-2014 11:46 PM
Need help with exposure problems and snow photography problems, urgent please respond montezuma Photographic Technique 7 02-24-2008 05:43 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:28 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top