Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2016, 11:44 AM   #1
Site Supporter

K3 Firmware upgrade problems Help Please

Hi I have just bought a K3 firmware 1.11 and am trying to update the firmware to 1.21
Formatted via the camera the new SDHC card and downloaded the update into the DCIM directory on the SD card. There is nothing else on the card.
The battery is fully charged
The directions then state that once the card is inserted into slot 1, turn the camera on whilst holding down the menu button. This should bring up "Updates the camera firmware" appears in the LCD monitor.
Ver: 1.00/1.01/1.02/1.03 /1.10 / 1.11/1.20?1.21 will be displayed.
This does not happen - it is the standard menu screen that appears
I would be grateful if anyone can help me with this issue

03-29-2016, 11:49 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The upgrade file goes *beside* the DCIM folder, not inside it.
03-29-2016, 11:49 AM   #3
Emperor and Senpai

Format the card in your computer, not the camera.
03-29-2016, 12:08 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Real Ale Quote
Formatted via the camera the new SDHC card and downloaded the update into the DCIM directory on the SD card. There is nothing else on the card.
As jbinpg said, move the file one level higher than the DCIM folder and you should be good. The file needs to be in the root directory of the card.

Pentax Firmware Update Guide - Tutorial Videos | PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-29-2016, 01:33 PM - 1 Like   #5
a5m
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
As Adam and jbinpg said, put the firmware file in the main directory of the SD Card - not in any folders on the SD Card. Also format the card in the camera not the computer.
03-29-2016, 02:47 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
As jbinpg said, move the file one level higher than the DCIM folder and you should be good. The file needs to be in the root directory of the card.

Pentax Firmware Update Guide - Tutorial Videos | PentaxForums.com
I moved the file out of the folder and as stated by yourself it worked first time. Many thanks to everyone who replied. It is much appreciated
03-29-2016, 04:37 PM   #7

After reading all of the comments I still can't get the firmware update to work on my K-3. I upgraded to 1.01 quite a while ago but haven't been able to make the routine work since then. The Camera operates fine. For the record today I formatted the card in the camera, downloaded and unzipped the file, and moved the bin file to the SD card root directory. The firmware screen doesn't come up when I turn the camera on with the menu button depressed. I also deleted the DCIM file, but no dice. Any suggestions that haven't been mentioned? Do I have to send my camera back to Pentax? Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
03-29-2016, 04:51 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NorCalAl Quote
After reading all of the comments I still can't get the firmware update to work on my K-3. I upgraded to 1.01 quite a while ago but haven't been able to make the routine work since then. The Camera operates fine. For the record today I formatted the card in the camera, downloaded and unzipped the file, and moved the bin file to the SD card root directory. The firmware screen doesn't come up when I turn the camera on with the menu button depressed. I also deleted the DCIM file, but no dice. Any suggestions that haven't been mentioned? Do I have to send my camera back to Pentax? Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
just an idea as I have had a similar problem, make sure the FW update file does not have (1) beside the file. This could happen if you inadvertently downloaded the file twice, or more. Delete all the FW files from everywhere on your computer and SD card, start with a fresh download.

03-29-2016, 05:07 PM   #9

Ah ha! I thought that I had to unzip the file manually and so created a second, then a third, . . . and so on. After I deleted everything and reformatted, downloaded, etc. it worked like a charm, Many thanks.
03-29-2016, 07:35 PM   #10
Veteran Member

the trick is to remember this stuff next time, which I regularly do not! Glad I could help!