Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2016, 07:14 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
Mk II model usually don't last that long, as they are usually only small revision on the original model done to extend the life a bit.

If K3 II replacement is announced in May, it will follow the standard life length of an "mk II" model.
But I doubt it will take as long as 6 month to be available after announcement. When a replacement camera is announced it will usually be available within weeks.

K5 II was replaced by K3 after 13 month
K100D super was replaced by K200D after 15 month.
*ist DS2 was replaced by K10D after 13 month
*ist DL2 was replaced by K100D after 4 month

K1 was announced much earlier than normal as it is in a brand new segment and not a replacement of an existing camera.
I don't know. I think a lot depends on whether there is a no sensor out there with different/improved functionality over the current K3 sensor.

If Pentax decided they wanted to improve video in their cameras (there isn't any sign they want to do that, but stranger things have happened), that would be the biggest thing that would push them to get a new flagship APS-C camera out there.

03-31-2016, 07:26 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Well put, totally agree.

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I still have the AF200T and Soligar 14s slave, that I owned when I got my Program Plus way back when in the 90s. I do use the built in flash from time to time. But a GPS would be better for me.

I find it interesting that people now have to have stuff that used to be optional. I guess for those of us for whom flash was always an ad on, its sounds kind of silly. For those of us who grew up with on board flash, they expect it. But for folks who lived in the 80's and 90's, only the cheaper cameras had on board flash. So there's bit of a great divide here.

The advantages of a separate flash are pretty much endless. Separate batteries, so your camera battery isn't drained by the flash, bounce flash, much more powerful flash. My AF 200T recycles much faster than my on board flash does. Even my $19 Soligar 14s does, and it's powered by 2 double As. And I can carry the Soligar in a pocket of my camera bag or s shirt pocket. There is a power adjustment on the back of the flash. I see no need to adjust it in camera. But maybe that's because that's what I'm used to.

From my perspective, I find it odd that some one would pass on a camera that's $1000 cheaper than it's closest real competition, over an issue that most of us learned to deal with years ago, and have dealt with stress free most of our lives.

So, ya, I agree with the salesman. If you want to consider yourself to be a pro, get used to dealing with off camera flash, for about a thousand reasons.

Go ahead, laugh at me, while I'm laughing at you. We can laugh together, just at different things.
03-31-2016, 07:27 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I actually think Pentax cameras are discontinued long before it is announced. The K-3 production line was probably taken for the K-1 months ago (or K3II) . What has changed now that makes them say it's discontinued is that they no longer have stock at headquarters to ship to distributers. There was always going to be exactly the number of K-3s there is today. All they are saying is "we are running out." They are so cheap, i don't understand why if someone wants what they have to offer, they wouldn't just buy one. All this moaning and complaining about no flash etc. just doesn't make sense to me.

But for those who think the run of any camera is unlimited, they are all on a cycle. It's very likely how many cameras will be produced of a certain model is determined before the production run starts.If you like the feature set of a camera buy it. But don't expect that any add on feature will be there from one model to the next. Consumer products just don't work that way.

It is an interesting phenomena, how many people come on the forum to discus their purchasing preferences."I want this essential feature, or that essential feature." What are we supposed to do with that? So you want it, go buy it...why should I know about that?

Last edited by normhead; 03-31-2016 at 07:41 AM.
03-31-2016, 09:41 AM   #34

So, ya, I agree with the salesman. If you want to consider yourself to be a pro, get used to dealing with off camera flash, for about a thousand reasons.

Go ahead, laugh at me, while I'm laughing at you. We can laugh together, just at different things.

in my opinion, K3 and K3 II are not so different in image quality - specially if you're not shooting in pixel shifting mode, and in case of K3 II, it's a painful thing, and you can use it, with very limited stills of objects, which don't move to fast, or move at all.
Even in landscapes you will have inperfections in the final image, but yet, it's not that visible...
Moving objects, models ? Forget it.

So,
I was already know then, when I was buying my K3, that I will certainly not going to shoot in pixel shift mode, because I found that's not useful, practical, end maybe not necessary in 99 % of shots,

because the file of 23 Mpix, with plenty of detail, is capable for almost every print size . So why in the hell would I buy more expensive camera, with lacking of something like little flash unit, to have more pixels in limited way, and with GPS, which I will also never use, because it's also pretty non useful thing.

Flash is much much more important thing to me - so, yes, in my case, the much happier choice is to buy what I've buy, and that is K3

ps

and I'm glad I did it on time

Last edited by panonski; 03-31-2016 at 10:01 AM.
03-31-2016, 10:20 AM   #35
Site Supporter

It's only natural for people to express which camera features they have value for and which they don't. That's an entirely different proposition from which camera they would buy and which they wouldn't. I can't recall a single post where someone stated they won't buy a K-1 because it lacks a pop up flash. Plenty have some value for onboard flash, though. Likewise, I still visit this website despite believing the first 1000 photos of a squirrel were more than sufficient.
03-31-2016, 10:42 AM   #36
Pentaxian

It'd be cool if Ricoh put out a k3s, no flash, no gps and slightly smaller/lighter body and cheaper price point. I'd buy the heck out of that as a second camera body. Maybe no SR too.
03-31-2016, 11:21 AM   #37
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
It'd be cool if Ricoh put out a k3s, no flash, no gps and slightly smaller/lighter body and cheaper price point. I'd buy the heck out of that as a second camera body. Maybe no SR too.
It would probably be more expensive. Loses economies of scale and they wouldn't sell very many.
03-31-2016, 11:31 AM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
It would probably be more expensive. Loses economies of scale and they wouldn't sell very many.
Oh for sure.

03-31-2016, 12:18 PM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
I can't recall a single post where someone stated they won't buy a K-1 because it lacks a pop up flash.
Let me help you out with that.

QuoteOriginally posted by Glen220 Quote
It does not have a fill flash? I won't own a camera that doesn't have fill flash. I have no use for astrotracking/GPS, but have a lot of use for a flash.

After shooting Pentax for 40 years, my next camera is going to be a Canon.
OK, so the guy was probably a troll... but hey.... there is one.
03-31-2016, 12:49 PM   #40
Site Supporter

Let me help you out with that.

OK, so the guy was probably a troll... but hey.... there is one.
OK, you got me. Ricoh lost one sale. Or maybe not if it was just trolling.
04-01-2016, 06:45 AM   #41
Pentaxian

I'm sure they are all weeping over there at Pentax headquarters.
04-12-2016, 07:17 PM   #42
Pentaxian

They'll lose far more than one customer as long as their large, inferior dedicated flashes lack a supplement offering quality, small flash configurations such as the superior (non-pTTL) implementation on the K-3. I have no idea if or when the K-1 will be in my arsenal (we know very little at this point), but the lack of versatile flash implementation in the K-1 will certainly delay or ultimately nix the progression for me.
04-12-2016, 08:29 PM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
They'll lose far more than one customer as long as their large, inferior dedicated flashes lack a supplement offering quality, small flash configurations such as the superior (non-pTTL) implementation on the K-3. I have no idea if or when the K-1 will be in my arsenal (we know very little at this point), but the lack of versatile flash implementation in the K-1 will certainly delay or ultimately nix the progression for me.
Clearly, there are potential further sales in this area and the sports/action photography area, but I don't think we need to worry about the impact that will have on K-1 sales. The point about a need for improvement is taken, though. For myself, I don't much care about flash or fast AF, so the K-1 is on my buy list, even if it isn't for the first batch. That aside, I'm not sure what you're saying about the K-3 flash system and whether or not the K-1 is a backward step from the K-3 in that regard.
04-12-2016, 08:40 PM   #44
osv
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
For triggering my studio strobes when the batteries on my radio triggers are dead. For emergency fill flash when you're walking around with just your camera.

I don't use it much, but it's a more useful feature to me than WiFi. The saddest part is the K-3 is the only flagship dslr from Pentax that has manual flash control. That in itself may not seem important, but pTTL uses a preflash, so it doesn't work well for triggering "dumb" optical slaves. How hard would it be to add manual flash control via firmware [edit: to older models]? It can't be more then 5 lines of code.
pttl in a studio situation? fwiw, sony has manual flash control at all hss speeds, which eliminates the preflash entirely, so it can be done to some extent, it just wouldn't be automatic metering afaik.
04-13-2016, 12:06 AM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
pttl in a studio situation?
No, no, I'm saying the K-3 is the only Pentax DSLR that can trigger dumb optical slaves via the pop-up flash because it features manual power control, all the rest use pTTL, which means a preflash which cannot be turned off.