Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
05-02-2016, 03:52 PM   #61

Totally agree.

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
Bring on the K-4
I was just thinking what would be next after the K-1 and whether Pentax would bring a new APS-C model. Something with the following features would be nice:
- dual card slots
- tilting screen like the K-1. This should be every camera these days.
- tethering
- wifi for remote triggering including ability to change settings. (but also able to do so using a RAW file)
- retain pop up flash, because why not. Better option then GPS as I think having constant GPS on would be a drain on the battery. I have a handheld GPS I use to track walks and this can be used to log where photos are taken,

05-02-2016, 04:52 PM - 1 Like   #62
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Now that people seem to have finished venting over the onboard/no-onboard flash thing, the next APS-C Pentax models should provide incremental advances in a number of areas.

If they are reading the market correctly, they'll bring out a range of APS-C bodies that push the entry models further upward in features (continuing what the K-S2 has done) but reducing the price even further, as features from higher-level models are adopted, and push the premium model into the D500 territory, as a lower-priced, higher-specified competitor. So, I agree with markl62, that the K-3ii successor should adopt the K-1 tilt screen (good economies of scale for both models, there), cable tethering and improved WiFi features (including range and transfer rates) and, if possible, reintroduce onboard flash (possibly using LED technology, as I said before). It goes without saying that the improved AF system from the K-1 should also be adopted and maybe even pushed further in the areas where Nikon is the current leader. All, of course, while maintaining the existing elements, like twin SD-card slots etc.

Whether or not the K-3ii successor should adopt the LCD viewfinder overlay is more problematic. While the K-1 seems to benefit from having the option of more information in the viewing area, it has a brighter viewfinder image to start with, so the light loss created by the LCD overlay isn't detrimental to its usability in low light, or with a small aperture lens. However, if the LCD was a colour pixel screen (I understand the K-1's is a monochrome screen with pre-determined shapes, not pixels) like some Fuji viewfinders, then that would be a different matter entirely. Given Ricoh's pronouncement that EVF technology was not yet acceptable to them, that option is not likely for the first post-K-3 APS-C Pentax body, but maybe the next one.
05-10-2016, 04:45 PM   #63
Veteran Member

I'll toss my thoughts in on the OBF. I am ambivalent about it. First off, I use RF triggers with my strobes, so no worries about control via the flash. Second, I usually have a small dumb flash for emergency triggerm of the strobes. Third, I will use the OBF for fill flash in really bright contrasty light with it turned down and gelled to match the WB (assuming I have the time to do so), but I absolutely hate the results from the OBF so I rarely use it.

I would happily trade OBF for WIFI/GPS (altough I can live without WIFI, I do like the GPS for various reasons).

I guess one big argument for pro cameras lacking OBF is that they are more durable without another part to loosen or break off.

For me the K-3II would be the better option (based on a few factors, the least of which is the lack of a flash).

I agree with the folks above, unless you fall into the durability camp or are trying to save what is probably 1oz total from the OBF, just don't use the OBF and it's inclusion is irrelevant.

---------- Post added 05-10-2016 at 11:50 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
So, I agree with markl62, that the K-3ii successor should adopt the K-1 tilt screen (good economies of scale for both models, there), cable tethering and improved WiFi features (including range and transfer rates) and, if possible, reintroduce onboard flash (possibly using LED technology, as I said before). It goes without saying that the improved AF system from the K-1 should also be adopted and maybe even pushed further in the areas where Nikon is the current leader. All, of course, while maintaining the existing elements, like twin SD-card slots etc.
Agreed. I just picked up a K-5IIs to replace my K-7 (truly an upgrade, I couldn't stand the IQ or issues with the K-7 and think the IQ on the K-5IIs is similar enough to the K-3). However, the the K-5IIs is just a bridge body for me to see what Pentax does with the K-3 successor, I'm hoping a lot of the K-1 features trickle down to make it the ultimate APS-C DSLR body. If that is the case, I'll definitely have to take a hard look at the successor vs the K-1. I'm not one of those folks that needs 24x36mm sensor, so if a K-3M3 comes out with a lot of the K-1 tech for $1000, I'd definitely consider it strongly. However, I expect the K-1 to drop down to maybe $1300-1500 after a year or so, which would probably edge me towards the K-1, keeping the K-5IIs as my compact body.
06-08-2016, 01:55 PM   #64

Pop up flashes are like the temporary spare tire in your car. You try not to use it, and if you need it, it may be flat or blow out, but in a pinch at least it is something.

06-23-2016, 12:01 PM   #65

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxRev Quote
I don't get it. If you don't like the pop up flash on a camera like the K-3 don't use it. But even some of us who are pretty serious photographers simply don't always want to carry an external flash and in those situations the little pop up comes in really handy. I have a nice external flash and if I'm shooting a wedding or taking lots of flash pictures I will use it, but on other occasions the pop up is great. I cannot imagine anyone not buying a K-1 or K-3 II because it has a pop up, but there will be a few of us who will seriously consider not upgrading to a camera that doesn't have this nice little convenience.

---------- Post added 03-30-2016 at 11:19 PM ----------

I couldn't agree more.
I agree totally!!!
06-24-2016, 05:06 AM   #66
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
Yes. I use the OBF quite a bit. And the purpose varies; not all are family snapshots - but it's handy there too. I'm a travelling photographer so all my gear has to fit in an airline compliant backpack - which also has to hold a notebook PC, charger, etc. So I have room for one external flash. And if I want to use the external flash off-body (often using my spouse as my light stand), I need the OBF to trigger it. Room is tight in that backpack and RF units or flash cords take space I don't want to give up. The OBF is also great for adding a little fill without pausing to haul out the big one. I would love to record coordinates in EXIF along with the time stamp, but the OBF is of more importance to me.