Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2016, 02:53 AM   #1
Forum Member

K3 discontinued

Hi,

Maybe already been a discussion about this but the ricoh jp website seems to be listing the K3 as discontinued.

Any ideas when this will hap[pen in the us market ?

What comes next or are they throwing all there eggs into the K-1 and the K-3 II models ?

cheers

03-30-2016, 03:18 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by freddyisaac Quote
Hi,

Maybe already been a discussion about this but the ricoh jp website seems to be listing the K3 as discontinued.

Any ideas when this will hap[pen in the us market ?

What comes next or are they throwing all there eggs into the K-1 and the K-3 II models ?

cheers
The camera will be gone in the US when all existing stock at retailers and distributors is exhausted, which could take several months (this is currently happening with the K-50, which has been out of production for a while) . Ideally we would see a replacement for the K-3 (with a flash) before it becomes hard to find.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-30-2016, 03:33 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
happily for me, I purchased mine on time And I got the one without mirror flop issue

But, I'm kind of disapointed because this model was on the market for only three years . Salesmen here was try to hook me on K3 II, but I refused, because of lacking flash... He said to me, "Why do you need pop up flash on a professional camera? "-
I laughed, and tell him, men,
..you don't know nothing, absolutelly nothing...

ps
This also ends our hopes for new firmware cookies inside discontinued model

Last edited by panonski; 03-30-2016 at 03:46 AM.
03-30-2016, 06:35 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Ideally we would see a replacement for the K-3 (with a flash) before it becomes hard to find.
I don't think we will see high end APS-C with a flash anymore. The K-3 has already been replaced with the K-3II. There is a possibility they could choose to replace the K-3II with a dual model, K-3A with astro tracer, and K-3F with flash. It could be a good move, but I do not expect they will go that route.

03-30-2016, 06:35 AM   #5
Pentaxian

It means a k3 II replacement isnt too far away.
03-30-2016, 07:39 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rangercarp Quote
I don't think we will see high end APS-C with a flash anymore. The K-3 has already been replaced with the K-3II. There is a possibility they could choose to replace the K-3II with a dual model, K-3A with astro tracer, and K-3F with flash. It could be a good move, but I do not expect they will go that route.
Mk II model usually do not include any major redesign in hardware, which can explain why it was not possible to fit both GPS antenna and flash in K3 II.
But if the replacement is a brand new model it would not be too difficult to include both flash and GPS. To include both in a brand new design will probably cost less than to handle the logistics of having two models.
03-30-2016, 08:07 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by panonski Quote
"Why do you need pop up flash on a professional camera? "
For triggering my studio strobes when the batteries on my radio triggers are dead. For emergency fill flash when you're walking around with just your camera.

I don't use it much, but it's a more useful feature to me than WiFi. The saddest part is the K-3 is the only flagship dslr from Pentax that has manual flash control. That in itself may not seem important, but pTTL uses a preflash, so it doesn't work well for triggering "dumb" optical slaves. How hard would it be to add manual flash control via firmware [edit: to older models]? It can't be more then 5 lines of code.

Last edited by maxfield_photo; 03-30-2016 at 11:11 AM.
03-30-2016, 08:08 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I can totally understand not having a pop-up flash on a pro-level camera body. I think they're a valuable marketing and functional inclusion on a more consumer oriented body like a K-30.

I think in the 2.5 years I've had my K-5 II I've used the flash three times and once was by accident.

03-30-2016, 08:26 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
For triggering my studio strobes when the batteries on my radio triggers are dead. For emergency fill flash when you're walking around with just your camera.

I don't use it much, but it's a more useful feature to me than WiFi. The saddest part is the K-3 is the only flagship dslr from Pentax that has manual flash control. That in itself may not seem important, but pTTL uses a preflash, so it doesn't work well for triggering "dumb" optical slaves. How hard would it be to add manual flash control via firmware? It can't be more then 5 lines of code.
EXACTLY
I don't know about other models, but I ensure you, I will never, ever buy a camera without manual flash control. I have it on my litlle Ricoh, I have it on my Pen E-P5, and I have it on K3.

I also use triggering extra flashes, and when I hear something about Pro, and how Pro doesn't need pop up flash, I instantly put the person who talk like that, into the photographing idiots.

besides that,

how many cameras on mobile phones have even xenon flashes?
I had three SonyE. models, and two Nokia models with xenon.

For me, adding more equipment like when you must have an external flash, isn't happiest solutiom , cause I always try to have my gear light as possible.

Smaller camera, greater, more intuitive captures

Last edited by panonski; 03-30-2016 at 08:46 AM.
03-30-2016, 09:50 AM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
Mk II model usually do not include any major redesign in hardware, which can explain why it was not possible to fit both GPS antenna and flash in K3 II.
But if the replacement is a brand new model it would not be too difficult to include both flash and GPS. To include both in a brand new design will probably cost less than to handle the logistics of having two models.
I agree. There shouldn't be a reason for on-board wi-fi and/or GPS to preclude the inclusion of a flash in a newly-designed model.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-30-2016, 10:14 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I also wouldn't miss onboard flash. I prefer bodies that don't have onboard flash.
03-30-2016, 11:26 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by panonski Quote
and how Pro doesn't need pop up flash, I instantly put the person who talk like that, into the photographing idiots.
All i know to tell you is that Canon is considered a leader in flash technology in their DSLR system and NONE of their professional cameras have a pop up flash- doesn't seem to have hurt their pro photographers much.
03-30-2016, 12:07 PM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
I also wouldn't miss onboard flash. I prefer bodies that don't have onboard flash.
All of us can cherry-pick which features are useful and which aren't. I've never used the headphone monitor jack and probably never will. I'd take a pop-up flash over that jack without even thinking about it.

---------- Post added 03-30-16 at 03:08 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Venom3300 Quote
All i know to tell you is that Canon is considered a leader in flash technology in their DSLR system and NONE of their professional cameras have a pop up flash- doesn't seem to have hurt their pro photographers much.
Isn't that because Canon have a very advanced and complete radio-controlled flash system?
03-30-2016, 12:29 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
All of us can cherry-pick which features are useful and which aren't. I've never used the headphone monitor jack and probably never will. I'd take a pop-up flash over that jack without even thinking about it.

---------- Post added 03-30-16 at 03:08 PM ----------

Isn't that because Canon have a very advanced and complete radio-controlled flash system?
I just like to stand up for the "no flash" option. There are a lot of vocal people on the other side, I just wanted to provide my opinion.
03-30-2016, 01:09 PM   #15
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
I just like to stand up for the "no flash" option. There are a lot of vocal people on the other side, I just wanted to provide my opinion.
What do you want on a camera body in place of the pop-up flash?