Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
03-31-2016, 03:00 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax K 3 Focuisng Screen dust

Starting to see a couple of dust particles on my Pentax K3 focusing screen. I have a Giotto blower but hesitant to use it because I fear it would possible make things worse. Any suggestions out there. I know the dust does not affect the shot, however they are quite annoying to see through the view finder.

Advice please.

03-31-2016, 03:26 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I have a piece of dust on my K-3 sensor that is driving me crazy! It's easy to remove from images but I still want it gone. I have never cleaned a sensor and I'm a little nervous about trying myself, need to find a place close by that can do it.
03-31-2016, 03:28 PM   #3

Ah, the proverbial speck of dust. I understand, went through that a few weeks back. Trying to clear it is a bit risky. What i did could be considered stupid:

With a Giotto (i think medium) with the puffing tip of the rocket blower a bit sideways towards the edge of the focusing screen, touching that edge, i puffed and i puffed. First i introduced new, uglier specks of dust and panicked and cursed myself. Then after some more puffing it all cleared. I vowed i'd never touch the inside of the camera in that manner ever again.

If the speck is rather smallish and not a black dot that really punches your eye through the viewfinder, i would learn to live with it, to see it as a sign of normal camera use.
03-31-2016, 04:21 PM   #4
Pentaxian

And worse...sometimes it's not the screen but i believe behind the mirror were you can't get to. It's a long and windy road I don't want to go down again.....

03-31-2016, 07:50 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

I was looking at the K-1 and the first thing I thought of when I saw the led light on the front to help you see when changing lenses at night is that it will attract bugs and with my luck I would end up with a firefly inside my camera and lens. A little spec of dust drives me crazy a bug with a light on its butt crawling around in my DA560 would drive me insane.
04-01-2016, 01:45 AM - 1 Like   #6
Unregistered User

Be very careful with the focusing screen. If you put a fingerprint on it you will not be able to clean it without scratching it. I have tried... Only touch it with a pair of tweezers on the protruding thingy.
04-02-2016, 10:41 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
Be very careful with the focusing screen. If you put a fingerprint on it you will not be able to clean it without scratching it. I have tried... Only touch it with a pair of tweezers on the protruding thingy.
I tried the same thing. Foolish me.
Well, I ended up scrubbing some of those fine laser patterns using a soft cotton cloth (for cleaning lens) and some more dust and unremovable scratches.
So far, the best tactic I have come up with is using a pair of tweezers and using a lens brush really gently. One doesn't even need to get the focusing screen out if they can brush that carefully.

04-03-2016, 07:41 AM   #8
Unregistered User

It is made out of some kind of plastic. I would never use anything that touches it. Just rinse with destilled water. Nothing else... I had to buy a new one.
04-04-2016, 02:58 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
It is made out of some kind of plastic. I would never use anything that touches it. Just rinse with destilled water. Nothing else... I had to buy a new one.

Was it easy to replace?
04-04-2016, 03:21 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very simply just use a screw driver to unlatch the screen letting it drop down. The carefully blow it clean right there and with gentle puffs of air. AFTER PUSH IT BACK UP ,JOB DONE
04-04-2016, 06:51 PM   #11
rfg

I had a pretty ugly dust particle on my focus screen. Just held the camera facing down and blew with a rocket blower and the dust was gone. That would definitely be my first option
04-05-2016, 12:27 AM   #12
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by giselag Quote
Was it easy to replace?
Yes, I find it easy.