Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2016, 02:50 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Just got my new K3II.....anything I need to immediately check ?

I just got my K3II and 18-135 WR lens kit.......Anything I need to immediately check functional wise ?
This camera was a Re-Payment for a loan to a friend and I want to make sure it doesn't have any known glitches ?
If I remember correctly there was an issue with getting the GPS to work on some early models ?
Software/firmware is 1.0 that is currently installed........Thanks for any input as just want to make sure there are no glitches before I put my lightly used K3 on the forum for sale.

04-01-2016, 02:56 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Check that the camera powers on and off correctly, and that you can access the GPS menu.

See:
Pentax K-3 II Service Advisory - Pentax Announcements | PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-01-2016, 03:09 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Check that the camera powers on and off correctly, and that you can access the GPS menu.

See:
Pentax K-3 II Service Advisory - Pentax Announcements | PentaxForums.com
Thanks Adam ! My serial number is 627xxxx so I'm out of the recall . I did check the power button and shutter release with PGS enabled and power button works fine.
04-01-2016, 04:39 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

My advice is to put it through its paces and check all functions. I advise this from personal experience. My K3 had a flash synch issue. It may have been there from day one, it may have developed over time. I don't know. I hadn't used flash and the problem wasn't discovered until nearly two years into owning the camera. Luckily I had warranty coverage.

04-01-2016, 04:43 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Put the battery on the charger and leave it there until fully charged. While that is happening, read the manual. There is a lot of good stuff in there. Once the manual has been read, you are in a position to try out the features that interest you. If something is not right, you will be prepared to detect the misbehavior.

Steve
04-01-2016, 05:38 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I'm familiar with all the features on the K3......this is just a step up.....a kinda BIG step for me !
Wanna make sure just in case I miss something......Thanks.

---------- Post added 04-02-16 at 08:43 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Quartermaster James Quote
My advice is to put it through its paces and check all functions. I advise this from personal experience. My K3 had a flash synch issue. It may have been there from day one, it may have developed over time. I don't know. I hadn't used flash and the problem wasn't discovered until nearly two years into owning the camera. Luckily I had warranty coverage.
Quartermaster James......thanks. I'm one of the "Wierdos" that likes my camera without the flash.....lol.
Between my two K3's in 37K clicks........I never used it a single time.
04-01-2016, 07:32 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
...and then get out there and take some pics!
have fun & congrats!
04-01-2016, 07:44 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Heard & understood. Just illustrating a point. That the repair required so much replacement that the camera build date changed indicates, to my mind at least, a significant problem. The flash synch issue could well have been a canary-in-the-mine-shaft event. And a lucky one for me: if the shutter block had failed a couple of months later I would have been SOL. Just saying make sure all the things do what they're supposed to do. If you've got access to a Pentax flash, it wouldn't hurt to make sure it works right, HSS and all.

QuoteOriginally posted by Dlanor Sekao Quote
I'm familiar with all the features on the K3......this is just a step up.....a kinda BIG step for me !
Wanna make sure just in case I miss something......Thanks.

---------- Post added 04-02-16 at 08:43 AM ----------

Quartermaster James......thanks. I'm one of the "Wierdos" that likes my camera without the flash.....lol.
Between my two K3's in 37K clicks........I never used it a single time.

04-02-2016, 05:12 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yuuup ! Found a problem ! The body is fine.....BUT.....The 18-135 Just isn't sharp at all. Will give it a shot at in camera calibration and if that doesn't work.....it will go back !
04-02-2016, 07:07 AM   #10
a5m
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dlanor Sekao Quote
Yuuup ! Found a problem ! The body is fine.....BUT.....The 18-135 Just isn't sharp at all. Will give it a shot at in camera calibration and if that doesn't work.....it will go back !
Seems to be a hit or miss with the 18-135 in terms of sharpness. AF fine adjustment might help though.

Or just exchange it for the 16-85