Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-03-2016, 05:08 PM   #1
Site Supporter

First try at pixel shift

Granted, I thought Pixel Shift was an interesting feature I would never use. Nevertheless, I felt I should try it out. So I took my K-3ii with 31mm Ltd (hey, need a good lens, right?) and tripod in the back yard to give it a try. I was impressed with the results.

If you pixel peep, as in the attached crops, you can easily see the difference in sharpness. At normal viewing distance, this difference is not nearly as noticeable by pixel, but the image just looks "clearer". So in my mind, I have accepted PS as an option when I have the time, the tripod, and the appropriate static scene.

First image: PS on, second image PS off. Check especially the close in tree bark, the lawn chair back, and the gas can.

One final note: I wondered what effect PS would have on closeups so I did comparatives at close objects. Really wasn't able to tell much difference between them.

John

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
04-03-2016, 05:11 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Whoa, big difference. So the only change between the two was Pixel Shift? You've impressed me.
04-03-2016, 05:49 PM - 1 Like   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To me it looks like the second photo is mis-focused...

The unscaled difference with PS is nowhere near this big

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-03-2016, 05:56 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Yeah, even if this was a 100% crop I would not expect such a massive difference.

04-03-2016, 07:23 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote

The unscaled difference with PS is nowhere near this big
Don't know how to answer this. Camera was tripod mounted, shutter on 2 second delay. The only changes between the two are made using the quick menu to turn the PS on and off. The camera was not moved although I did of course touch the buttons on the back. Maybe tomorrow I'll repeat this same test but with manual focus to remove any variables cause by focus issues.

== John
04-03-2016, 07:28 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Johnontheroad Quote
Don't know how to answer this. Camera was tripod mounted, shutter on 2 second delay. The only changes between the two are made using the quick menu to turn the PS on and off. The camera was not moved although I did of course touch the buttons on the back. Maybe tomorrow I'll repeat this same test but with manual focus to remove any variables cause by focus issues.

== John
That's strange. Perhaps it's set to re-focus on its own when using the self-timer?

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-03-2016, 07:53 PM   #7

Are we "loosing" on the bokeh side, when PS is turned on?

As I noticed that both pictures are showing F2.4 aperture, and the first one is clearer, does it means that when PS is turned on, more of the image gets clearer (which kinda reduce the bokeh - blurred background effect)?

Am I understanding (viewing) correctly or what?

04-03-2016, 09:57 PM   #8
Veteran Member

There must have been some refocussing between the two pictures. Have you used manual mode?
04-04-2016, 12:27 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote

yes, certainly is misfocused, it's so obvious
04-04-2016, 01:03 AM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by mhoule418 Quote
As I noticed that both pictures are showing F2.4 aperture, and the first one is clearer, does it means that when PS is turned on, more of the image gets clearer (which kinda reduce the bokeh - blurred background effect)?

Am I understanding (viewing) correctly or what?
Don't draw any conclusions, given post #9 and my post above.

Adam

04-04-2016, 10:20 AM   #11
Unregistered User

When doing a test like this it is imperative that you turn of AF, set the camera to manual to lock the exposure. Then you shoot.

I agree that the second shot has another focusing distance.

When it comes to bokeh I guess you will see a difference but the out of focus area will not become less out of focus.