Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2016, 07:44 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Shooting over 30 seconds with the K3 - what settings do you use ?

This is for my daughter (I do not do long exposures over 30 seconds so I couldn't help her).
Yes, I did some searching here and I am getting quite a load of different opinions/advice/threads and posts.
Just confusing !

She says: limited with the 30 seconds in B(ulb) mode when in Manual mode and would like to be able to go with longer exposures when needed.
(whatever she is saying, so I hope this makes sense to you people here ! )

What does she have to do?
1. tripod (check)
2. no remote
3. she usually does all of her landscapes in Manual mode "all" (exposure, f-stop, etc ...)

Would someone be kind enough to detail all that she has to do to get over this limit of 30 seconds?
It would be much appreciated and I would relay the details to her via email (of course, we don't live in the same city/province).

Thanks in advance.

04-21-2016, 07:48 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

If she has an Android phone with an IR Blaster she can download DSLR Remote app and use it with bulb mode.
04-21-2016, 07:49 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Would someone be kind enough to detail all that she has to do to get over this limit of 30 seconds?
She should get a remote control F. One press of the button to open the shutter, open press to close, couldn't be easier!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-21-2016, 07:50 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Quartermaster James Quote
If she has an Android phone with an IR Blaster she can download DSLR Remote app and use it with bulb mode.
Yes ! I've never thought of that ... Thanks!
Now for the rest ... what camera settings ?

JP

04-21-2016, 08:09 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Bulb mode, I just use a timer. I should use a remote but I haven't had an issue with bulb mode. there are settings in the menu on how to set the shutter. Would be a b on the dial
04-21-2016, 08:09 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
She should get a remote control F. One press of the button to open the shutter, open press to close, couldn't be easier!
Thanks Adam.

Well, I've just found out she has an iPhone (I use a DSLR remote app from my Android phone).
As for the remote F, I'll tell her about that. Should be easy enough to get one without breaking the bank.
Now, for the camera settings, if she wants to go over 30 seconds exposure time, what exactly does she have to do?

Cheers!

---------- Post added 04-21-16 at 11:11 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Murfy Quote
Bulb mode, I just use a timer. I should use a remote but I haven't had an issue with bulb mode. there are settings in the menu on how to set the shutter. Would be a b on the dial
Bulb, but she says that there is a 30 second time limit ??
You see, I have no idea what to do with this as I never have to use those long exposure shots.
04-21-2016, 08:26 PM   #7
Ole
Administrator

There is no limit in Bulb mode (B on the exposure mode dial).

She doesn't even need a remote although that's preferred to avoid camera shake. Push the shutter button to open the shutter, push again to close.

Custom menu 7 must be set to "2" to make the shutter operate in that way.
04-21-2016, 08:30 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Now, for the camera settings, if she wants to go over 30 seconds exposure time, what exactly does she have to do
manual mode prolly has the 30 sec max exposure......in bulb mode the exposure begins with the press of the shutter and ends with the next press of the shutter......as far as other settings depends on what is being shot......we using a ND filter during the day or we doin a star trail at night? using the lowest iso is best......fortunately being digital all kinds of settings an be used...trial n error for the results you are looking for.....

04-21-2016, 08:31 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote

She doesn't even need a remote although that's preferred to avoid camera shake. Push the shutter button to open the shutter, push again to close.

yes, this. buld mode has no shutter speed, so there will never be a limit. check out page 36 in the manual. although that just verifies that shutter speed can't be used. bulb mode is what you use for long exposures.
04-21-2016, 08:56 PM   #10

Yes ! I've never thought of that ... Thanks!
Now for the rest ... what camera settings ?

JP
Hi jpzk,
I am no expert with these but a while ago I had a dabble in some night HDR which required some longer exposure times. I have a k3 and no remote but I got some pleasing results ( a remote shutter control would have been much better). Others more experienced may have better ideas but I did the following:

> set the camera up on the tripod and focussed the lens carefully and then set the focus to manual (to not lose the focus point)
> put the camera in TAv mode, with T=10s, and A @ the aperture (DoF) that u want to use (say F10)
>take a test shot and hopefully the exposure is good. Review the ISO of the test shot - for this example say it was 3200 for a good exposure.
> now change the camera to Bulb and set the ISO to what u want - say ISO 200. Leave the Aperture as it was above (F10) and calculate the time needed for correct exposure based on the first shot (assumes light conditions are stable). If ISO in the test was 3200 @ 10 s, then correct exposure can be expected at 1600/20s or 800/40s or 400/80s or 200/160s. So for ISO 200 and F10 you need an exposure of 160s.
>I used the stopwatch on my phone, press the shutter, run the time and press the shutter again and you have ur shot

I didn't have a remote so I very carefully pushed the shutter manually which seemed to work ok - a remote would be recommended.

The shot below is a raw shot straight out of the camera and exported in LR5. I used it in a HDR shot as the middle exposure of 4 others. This one was 64s/F10/ISO200 and despite manual shutter release it is ok sharp.

Hope this helps and good luck
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
04-21-2016, 10:22 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Evening JPZK,

Lots of good suggestions. For $12 you can get a remote shutter release that has a built in Intervalometer (built in timer control). What this does beyond tripping the shutter is letting you setup any number of images, with any duration between images for any shutter duration. So, if you wanted a 5 minute 59 second image - shot every hour for 76 hours straight - this is how you can do it.or You can just hold down the button for 83 seconds
or you can dial in 102 seconds for one frame
or what ever you want to do....

04-22-2016, 03:56 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

If you're going to leave the shutter open for huge amounts of time, you need an AC adapter and power the camera off the mains somehow (extension cords may be involved). Make sure the battery is fresh, or the shutter will close as soon as it drains (and remember that cold weather effectively depletes batteries faster).

I have a Hahnel manual electromechanical shutter release, which has a button and also a slider to lock the shutter open for whatever time you want. Nominally mine is advertised for Canon cameras, but it's also listed as being compatible with Pentax. The guy in the store let me try it with my K-5 and it worked perfectly.
04-22-2016, 08:44 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
You can even use a tv remote... most brands just work!
Although can't remember if I've tried custom option 7, with mine you have to keep the button depressed in order to keep the shutter open... IIRC I've tried and it made no difference (with the makeshift remote... prolly a couple of chars interpreted as "end exposure" at the end of the code... moo biggie, just tape the button down! )
04-22-2016, 09:12 AM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
If you're going to leave the shutter open for huge amounts of time, you need an AC adapter and power the camera off the mains somehow (extension cords may be involved). Make sure the battery is fresh, or the shutter will close as soon as it drains (and remember that cold weather effectively depletes batteries faster).

I have a Hahnel manual electromechanical shutter release, which has a button and also a slider to lock the shutter open for whatever time you want. Nominally mine is advertised for Canon cameras, but it's also listed as being compatible with Pentax. The guy in the store let me try it with my K-5 and it worked perfectly.
All good advice. I believe the reference is to the Hahnel wired remote, model HR-280 (LINK). A wired remote, as opposed to IR) will save on the battery drain. Many wired remotes have provision for half-press and button-lock and some models include flexible timer/intervalometer functionality. I use a Bower model that I purchased from Adorama for about $28 USD.

Bower LCD Timer and Remote Shutter Release (Model RCLC1R) reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

A cool feature is that it is possible to mesh the camera drive modes/intervalometer features with that of the remote. For example, it is possible to shoot to trigger a sequence of 100 shots at 3s interval every hour over several days. Another option might be to do bracketed exposure at interval.

Steve
04-22-2016, 10:53 AM   #15
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote

Wouldn't that cause some vibration/movement, right? Even with being extremely careful? Can't she also use the self-timer with a 2 or 10 seconds delay?

QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron28 Quote
manual mode prolly has the 30 sec max exposure......in bulb mode the exposure begins with the press of the shutter and ends with the next press of the shutter......as far as other settings depends on what is being shot......we using a ND filter during the day or we doin a star trail at night? using the lowest iso is best......fortunately being digital all kinds of settings an be used...trial n error for the results you are looking for.....
She is going to have to experiment a bit more, true !

QuoteOriginally posted by Murfy Quote
yes, this. buld mode has no shutter speed, so there will never be a limit. check out page 36 in the manual. although that just verifies that shutter speed can't be used. bulb mode is what you use for long exposures.
That is why I was confused at first with the "30 seconds limit "thing.

QuoteOriginally posted by RedBoomer Quote
Hi jpzk,
I am no expert with these but a while ago I had a dabble in some night HDR which required some longer exposure times. I have a k3 and no remote but I got some pleasing results ( a remote shutter control would have been much better). Others more experienced may have better ideas but I did the following:

> set the camera up on the tripod and focussed the lens carefully and then set the focus to manual (to not lose the focus point)
> put the camera in TAv mode, with T=10s, and A @ the aperture (DoF) that u want to use (say F10)
>take a test shot and hopefully the exposure is good. Review the ISO of the test shot - for this example say it was 3200 for a good exposure.
> now change the camera to Bulb and set the ISO to what u want - say ISO 200. Leave the Aperture as it was above (F10) and calculate the time needed for correct exposure based on the first shot (assumes light conditions are stable). If ISO in the test was 3200 @ 10 s, then correct exposure can be expected at 1600/20s or 800/40s or 400/80s or 200/160s. So for ISO 200 and F10 you need an exposure of 160s.
>I used the stopwatch on my phone, press the shutter, run the time and press the shutter again and you have ur shot

I didn't have a remote so I very carefully pushed the shutter manually which seemed to work ok - a remote would be recommended.

The shot below is a raw shot straight out of the camera and exported in LR5. I used it in a HDR shot as the middle exposure of 4 others. This one was 64s/F10/ISO200 and despite manual shutter release it is ok sharp.

Hope this helps and good luck
Good and detailed info, Thanks !
I suppose that this entire setup can be saved in a "User" mode?

Oh, and I forgot to ask .... do you turn the NR off?

Thanks to all for the good information.

---------- Post added 04-22-16 at 02:20 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
You can even use a tv remote... most brands just work!
Although can't remember if I've tried custom option 7, with mine you have to keep the button depressed in order to keep the shutter open... IIRC I've tried and it made no difference (with the makeshift remote... prolly a couple of chars interpreted as "end exposure" at the end of the code... moo biggie, just tape the button down! )
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
All good advice. I believe the reference is to the Hahnel wired remote, model HR-280 (LINK). A wired remote, as opposed to IR) will save on the battery drain. Many wired remotes have provision for half-press and button-lock and some models include flexible timer/intervalometer functionality. I use a Bower model that I purchased from Adorama for about $28 USD.

Bower LCD Timer and Remote Shutter Release (Model RCLC1R) reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

A cool feature is that it is possible to mesh the camera drive modes/intervalometer features with that of the remote. For example, it is possible to shoot to trigger a sequence of 100 shots at 3s interval every hour over several days. Another option might be to do bracketed exposure at interval.

Steve
Thanks for the suggestions!
I think she'd be better off with a "cheap" remote F and start with that.
Easy enough for what she wants to do.

Cheers!