Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2016, 01:26 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Using a manual lens.

After my recent experience with high iso, I discovered I have an old Sears 135mm f2.8 manual lens, which would have been perfect, but I'm a tad confused with how to use it. I've allowed non A aperture settings and I do not get an aperture reading in the top display, but the speed will change if I use AV and manually change the f stop. In M mode there is no indication that I can see that I have the correct exposure, other than checking the histogram after the shot. Is this correct?

Thanks again.

Tuggie76

04-22-2016, 01:29 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Tuggie. Sticky from the help & troubleshooting section: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/110658-u...x-dslrs-f.html
04-22-2016, 02:45 PM   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
+1 with Paulh.

Consider to use the Green button in M mode.
04-22-2016, 03:46 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Hi Paul, thanks for the tip, but I can't seem to relate this instruction to my K3ii. If I push the on/off switch past 'on' I get the lightmeter, but it's almost impossible to adjust and hold the switch over! It's probaly me, but I can't make head nor tails of the button settings, there doesn't seem to be a green button listed.

'K-30, K-50, K-500, K-S1, K-S2 and K-01 users: make sure you also set your green button "action in M/TAv Mode" to Tv SHIFT. This is found under the button customization menu (page 3 of the main menu) on the K-01 or as a custom function on the K-30, K-50 and K-500. Also, avoid auto ISO.

04-22-2016, 04:04 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You may have to consult your K3 manual, or it might work out of the box. Try this - put the camera in M mode, go outside in daylight, set aperture to f/8. For starters, manually set the ISO to 100 or 200 (later on you can try auto-iso), compose your shot, press the green button. It should momentarily stop down the lens and get a light reading. It should now give you a correct, or near-correct shutter speed. Focus and take the shot. That's really it, unless you want to make adjustments. If it doesn't give you a shutter speed, you'll have to look around your camera menus for the green button settings, and set it to Tv shift. Let us know how it goes.

Last edited by paulh; 04-22-2016 at 04:40 PM.
04-22-2016, 04:13 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks Paul, I tried that, with the on/off switch I get a reading showing me how far out I am, but the green button just shows the scale with no indication of how far out the setting is. I'll have to read the manual some more.

Tuggie76
04-23-2016, 07:11 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuggie76 Quote
Thanks Paul, I tried that, with the on/off switch I get a reading showing me how far out I am, but the green button just shows the scale with no indication of how far out the setting is. I'll have to read the manual some more.

Tuggie76
O/k, I stayed up all night reading the manual, and could not find any reference to the 'Green Button'. I'm probably missing something, so if any one can point me to it, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks.

Tuggie76

04-23-2016, 07:47 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Did you check the manual index in the back and look for 'green button'? Sorry, I don't have a K3 so I'm not familiar with the camera setup menus. Someone else will be along soon to help - good luck.
04-24-2016, 08:24 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Did you check the manual index in the back and look for 'green button'? Sorry, I don't have a K3 so I'm not familiar with the camera setup menus. Someone else will be along soon to help - good luck.
No other responses Paulh, so I took to Google. It appears that I expected the wrong thing from the green button on the K3ii, all it does is set the shutter speed for the light coming into the camera, which it seems to do fairly accurately. In this thread,
K-3 II + Manual Lens + Live View + Green Button = ??? https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/299486-k-3-ii-manual-lens-...#ixzz46l095GHe,

I expected a scale to allow me to adjust as I felt, but it adjusts the shutter speed at that time, a further press is required if the light changes.

In av or tv modes the camera sets the correct shutter speed, so I'm good with that.

Thanks for your help.

Tuggie76
04-24-2016, 08:36 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

green button on the K3ii, all it does is set the shutter speed for the light coming into the camera,
This is what it's supposed to do. But, if the lens is fully manual (no electrical contacts on the mount), it will only work correctly in M mode. Shooting in any other mode will result in a wide-open shot, (fully open aperture) no matter what aperture you've selected.

You can use the semi-auto modes (Av, Tv, P) if the lens has an "A" setting. These lenses communicate aperture information to the camera - fully manual lenses do not.
04-24-2016, 09:29 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
This is what it's supposed to do. But, if the lens is fully manual (no electrical contacts on the mount), it will only work correctly in M mode. Shooting in any other mode will result in a wide-open shot, (fully open aperture) no matter what aperture you've selected.

You can use the semi-auto modes (Av, Tv, P) if the lens has an "A" setting. These lenses communicate aperture information to the camera - fully manual lenses do not.
Thanks, it's a totally manual, in av mode the camera sets shutter speed to match exposure which is good enough.

Thanks again, onto the next thing now!

Tuggie76
04-24-2016, 09:33 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks, it's a totally manual, in av mode the camera sets shutter speed to match exposure which is good enough.

Thanks again, onto the next thing now!

Tuggie76
OK, but like I said, in Av mode, you will always be shooting wide open. Not sure that's what you want, but good luck.
04-24-2016, 10:26 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
OK, but like I said, in Av mode, you will always be shooting wide open. Not sure that's what you want, but good luck.
I don't see that, how can the camera open the lens without any contact?
04-24-2016, 11:36 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I don't see that, how can the camera open the lens without any contact?
O/k, disregard the last post, I've just tried it and the aperture does go wide open in AV, sorry about that, but I'm a tad confused! So it looks like totally manual with hitting the green button periodically to set shutter speed, trying to hold the on/off switch and adjust exposure is too hard!

Tuggie76
04-24-2016, 11:55 AM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
O/k, disregard the last post, I've just tried it and the aperture does go wide open in AV, sorry about that, but I'm a tad confused! So it looks like totally manual with hitting the green button periodically to set shutter speed, trying to hold the on/off switch and adjust exposure is too hard!

Tuggie76
I like my fully manual K 55 and 28, but by the sound of it you should stick to buying 'A' lenses if you want to use Av mode.

You will find, too, that a P-TTL flash will always fire at full power.