Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2016, 07:36 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Battery grip not working with AA

Hi there,

I got the original battery grip, I attach it to my K3 most of the time, I mainly use the LiON battery tray and it worked great, just now I try to use the AA tray with high-cap rechargable NiMH but it doesn't work, the camera shown empty battery on the grip. I then change to normal Alkaline but still doesn't work, visual inspection did not show any contact problem, I only see uneven level of contact pins on the grip. Once I got unresponsive shutter release on the grip, it was due to a 'sunk' and jam pin on the grip, I pull the pin to restore it, after then no problem again, it could be the same problem this time but I couldn't fix it, any clue ?

04-25-2016, 08:10 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Batteries in the right way?

Use a multi-tester to check voltage on the tray alone to see if it is functioning correctly.
04-25-2016, 08:17 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Of course they are normal, fresh battery new tray right side up, I only suspect the pins, which pins responsible for the AA ??
04-25-2016, 08:38 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lotech Quote
which pins responsible for the AA ??
No idea, I don't have a grip. But basic troubleshooting procedure for anything is start at the beginning and check at each place you can. So first make sure the batteries are in correctly. I know that's obvious but I have put AA's in wrong by accident and wasted time because of it.

Then look at the battery tray, there should be some type of contacts, use a mult-tester and check for voltage. With 6 AA's you should be getting somewhere between 7 and 9 volts on one set of contacts. You won't hurt anything by testing if you use a multi-tester.

Voltage on the contacts? Then the batteries are OK, in properly and the tray is working. Therefore the problem is further down the line, possibly the contacts in the grip.
No voltage on the contacts? Then one of the above is the problem, recheck everything.

04-25-2016, 09:11 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks, if you have the grip you will see the batteries are not arranged in a straight forward in-series way, there are 4 contacts in total, the camera is responsible for the interconnection, you can't get the voltage by simply measuring with a meter.
04-25-2016, 12:13 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Probably not much help, but the battery voltages are reported in the EXIF.
04-25-2016, 12:18 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

you can't get the voltage by simply measuring with a meter.
Ok, so I wasn't much help. But if you test the contacts and no voltage anywhere then doesn't that mean something is wrong? Maybe I'm wrong but I would be testing those contacts. Part of troubleshooting is just eliminating things that you are sure of.

How about if anyone is close to you with a grip and you can swap parts to see if their grip and tray works?

04-25-2016, 01:24 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Probably not much help, but the battery voltages are reported in the EXIF.
That's interesting I don't know about, since the camera is not using the grip battery the record won't show it's status, and I don't see anything about battery on the file, or Pentax not using it, but one thing for sure there is a micro switch somewhere to turn off the camera while the battery tray removed. I also discovered something strange that, the camera won't turn on while the main battery removed, even with the working LiON tray, and 'battery depleted' will be displayed while inserting the tray(s) with the power switch already turned on. I also switch battery types setting but nothing changed, all batteries I use are fresh and fully charged.

Correction : the display will turn off while the tray(s) removed, but the camera still operational.
04-25-2016, 03:21 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

That's interesting I don't know about, since the camera is not using the grip battery the record won't show it's status, and I don't see anything about battery on the file, or Pentax not using it, but one thing for sure there is a micro switch somewhere to turn off the camera while the battery tray removed. I also discovered something strange that, the camera won't turn on while the main battery removed, even with the working LiON tray, and 'battery depleted' will be displayed while inserting the tray(s) with the power switch already turned on. I also switch battery types setting but nothing changed, all batteries I use are fresh and fully charged.
The camera won't work without at least a partially-charged battery in the body.

Is the grip tray recognized when you insert 6 alkaline AA's? Try that as a first troubleshooting step, and make sure the batteries are all oriented correctly. Check for signs of physical damage on the tray, too.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-28-2016, 06:43 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have the same problem, except with an aftermarket grip. I never worked it out, but with 3x Li-ion batterie I never needed it and gave up on the AA tray.
I'd be interested if you ever work out the problem.