Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-29-2016, 07:15 AM   #16
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by keithw Quote
Failing camera equipment I'll probably just stock up on wine
I hate wine...tastes like shoe polish. I've tried everything from expensive to cheap and it is all the same to me. I do drink an 8 oz glass of red wine every night......good for your arteries, it is a proven artery cleanser...and it puts you to sleep right away....after you choke it down.

If I had to choose between spending that much cash on wine or camera gear I'd buy a damn Canon Rebel before the wine.

Get that lens, you can get some decent Winking Owl wine at Aldis for $2.89 a bottle anytime.

Regards!

04-29-2016, 07:27 AM   #17

Photos: Gallery
So, I posted twice waaaaay back in 2008 and once last June. Not exactly a prolific contributor.

Currently have a K3 and despite my worries that I might have been better off with a K3-ii, I have been incredibly happy with my purchase. In fact, an app on the phone plus Lightroom sorts out the GPS tagging and I don't feel the need for astrowhatever.

The reason for the post is to ask your opinion on what to do if I do receive a probable windfall of around £600. My current glass is a pair of Sigma zooms, the 17-50 and 70-200 both f2.8. Originally I intended to get the 1.4 x converter but couldn't find one, but probably just as well as it doesn't autofocus with the HSM long zoom. And it's the 70-200 that spends most of the time on the camera, it just suits my particular style of photography. But there are obviously times when you need a wider lens. Now I don't know whether it is because I am kack-handed but I find changing lenses to be anything but quick and easy. It also becomes a bore when I need to swap them over several times during a walk or at a gig. Plus the risk of dust - just had a particularly tough piece that needed several wipes.So I thought, I know, I'll get a second body, then I won't need to swap lenses. But does buying another body make sense? Or should I bite the bullet and pick up a nice prime?

The ULTIMATE solution to your problems is a single high zoom ratio lens, such as the SIGMA 18- 250 DC OS HSM Zoom lens for Pentax - no more lens-swapping, no more meteorites impacting on your CMOS screen while you're body is open as you're swapping lenses, no more super-size kit bag for carrying a plethora of equipment, which could result in rotator-socket degradations requiring new shoulder parts, but BEST of ALL, you'll have plenty of coin left over to indulge in your other passion, keeping your other prominently displayed lenses as conversation pieces in your den. Check it out at:
Sigma General Purpose lenses for Pentax mount DSLRs | Cameralabs
Enjoy!!
04-29-2016, 10:36 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Clever. I just use a neoprene pouch and double caps: OP/TECH USA Lens Mount Cap

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I hate wine...tastes like shoe polish. I've tried everything from expensive to cheap and it is all the same to me.
Have you tried sweet wine made from concord grapes? Pretty much just tastes like grape juice.
04-29-2016, 11:27 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
Have you tried sweet wine made from concord grapes? Pretty much just tastes like grape juice.
20/20? A little rough for me, I do tolerate a sweet red when I can find one that is just right.

Regards!

05-03-2016, 07:03 AM   #20
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone, appreciate your responses. Looks like a second K3 isn't a stupid idea :-)

Hopefully with folk upgrading to a K1 the price of a 2nd hand body might come down so will hang fire for a short while. I have been surprised that the used price has been so close to buying new. I upgraded from a K5 and have used that as a second body but the differences to the K3 make it more of a pain than anything. Also just love those extra megapixels.

Anyway, thanks again
05-03-2016, 08:42 AM   #21
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
If I had to choose between spending that much cash on wine or camera gear I'd buy a damn Canon Rebel before the wine.

Canon over the fruit of the vine?

Say it ain't so Jim!

Say it ain't so!
05-03-2016, 08:46 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Canon over the fruit of the vine?

Say it ain't so Jim!

Say it ain't so!
I didn't mention that suicide was an option over becoming a Canon shooter.....but I should have!

05-03-2016, 09:28 AM   #23
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

So, I posted twice waaaaay back in 2008 and once last June. Not exactly a prolific contributor.

That's OK, there are plenty of others who can be post whores. A man of few words usually has something better to say, and often more worth reading.

Currently have a K3 and despite my worries that I might have been better off with a K3-ii, I have been incredibly happy with my purchase.

There it is right there.

You are happy.

Happy makes this a better world, am I right?

The reason for the post is to ask your opinion on what to do if I do receive a probable windfall of around £600. My current glass is a pair of Sigma zooms, the 17-50 and 70-200 both f2.8. Originally I intended to get the 1.4 x converter but couldn't find one, but probably just as well as it doesn't autofocus with the HSM long zoom. And it's the 70-200 that spends most of the time on the camera, it just suits my particular style of photography. But there are obviously times when you need a wider lens.

There is the beauty of interchangeable lens cameras.

You can change the optical end at will to suit your needs and creative desires.

Certainly something those with the latest Stoopit Phones can't do.

Now I don't know whether it is because I am kack-handed but I find changing lenses to be anything but quick and easy. It also becomes a bore when I need to swap them over several times during a walk or at a gig. Plus the risk of dust - just had a particularly tough piece that needed several wipes.So I thought, I know, I'll get a second body, then I won't need to swap lenses.

I know how you feel.

When I shot film it never seemed to be an issue. I carried all of my lenses and other gear, and never even gave it a thought. The Pentax K mount is a miracle of engineering. Tough. Durable. Able to endure 30 or 40 years of repeated abuse, and be ready for 30 or 40 more.

Yet since forsaking silver halide for pixels and an inkjet, the ritual of swapping lenses has become such a chore!

I can't explain it, but I live it every day.

What lens should I use?

Do I have it with me?

Wait.

Maybe this one?

Decisions!

But does buying another body make sense?

Well since they have been discontinued, the price of a used K3 body will only go down. That would leave more cash for wine.

Or a couple of good primes.

Just saying.

Just remember, with primes you must zoom with your feet.

And after a glass or three of your favorite adult beverage that may become a liability.

Or should I bite the bullet and pick up a nice prime?

Primes are where its at.

Zooms have usually been a compromise. Sure, newer zoo/ms are an improvement, but still a compromise.

Then again, are you happy? If so, by all means, run with it. Happiness is key here.

What you need to decide is where will it all end? Just how much stuff do you want swinging around your neck?

Might make it difficult to tip back another glass of Chablis.

Wine is good.

Good scotch is even better.
05-03-2016, 09:36 AM   #24
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

I didn't mention that suicide was an option over becoming a Canon shooter.....but I should have!