Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-28-2016, 02:28 PM   #1
Forum Member

A second body, or a prime lens, or alcohol?

So, I posted twice waaaaay back in 2008 and once last June. Not exactly a prolific contributor.

Currently have a K3 and despite my worries that I might have been better off with a K3-ii, I have been incredibly happy with my purchase. In fact, an app on the phone plus Lightroom sorts out the GPS tagging and I don't feel the need for astrowhatever.

The reason for the post is to ask your opinion on what to do if I do receive a probable windfall of around £600. My current glass is a pair of Sigma zooms, the 17-50 and 70-200 both f2.8. Originally I intended to get the 1.4 x converter but couldn't find one, but probably just as well as it doesn't autofocus with the HSM long zoom. And it's the 70-200 that spends most of the time on the camera, it just suits my particular style of photography. But there are obviously times when you need a wider lens. Now I don't know whether it is because I am kack-handed but I find changing lenses to be anything but quick and easy. It also becomes a bore when I need to swap them over several times during a walk or at a gig. Plus the risk of dust - just had a particularly tough piece that needed several wipes.So I thought, I know, I'll get a second body, then I won't need to swap lenses. But does buying another body make sense? Or should I bite the bullet and pick up a nice prime?

Failing camera equipment I'll probably just stock up on wine

04-28-2016, 02:36 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Depends.

One consideration is how are you impacted if your camera breaks? I mean do you count on it for work or just a hobby? If you do any paid work then having a backup body is simply a necessity IMHO.

If worst case you can be without a camera for a month then I'd probably look at new glass. But you are covered 17-200 and you seem to like the long end so what glass would you find yourself using?

Maybe wine is the best answer.......................
04-28-2016, 02:44 PM   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

Pentax is renown, across all manufacturers, for its very high quality prime lenses, with focal lengths below 100-120mm. You should consider very seriously to get a high-quality prime. With the K-3, I would recommend one of the 'three amigos', a FA Limited. These 'amigos' are worth every penny. Another option is to get a DA limited. The DA Ltds are quite, sturdy 'small guys', yet with excellent IQ.

Among these two series, I have the FA31mm, FA77mm and DA15mm Ltd. I can highly recommend anyone of these, (or all of them if you can afford).

My 5 cents.
04-28-2016, 02:54 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

How will a prime help your aversion of swapping lenses? If anything, you will have to change lenses more often because it is less versatile.

I recommend you get a second body and attach the 70-200 to one and the 17-50 to the other - that sorts your problem.

04-28-2016, 02:56 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by keithw Quote
So, I posted twice waaaaay back in 2008 and once last June. Not exactly a prolific contributor.

Currently have a K3 and despite my worries that I might have been better off with a K3-ii, I have been incredibly happy with my purchase. In fact, an app on the phone plus Lightroom sorts out the GPS tagging and I don't feel the need for astrowhatever.

The reason for the post is to ask your opinion on what to do if I do receive a probable windfall of around £600. My current glass is a pair of Sigma zooms, the 17-50 and 70-200 both f2.8. Originally I intended to get the 1.4 x converter but couldn't find one, but probably just as well as it doesn't autofocus with the HSM long zoom. And it's the 70-200 that spends most of the time on the camera, it just suits my particular style of photography. But there are obviously times when you need a wider lens. Now I don't know whether it is because I am kack-handed but I find changing lenses to be anything but quick and easy. It also becomes a bore when I need to swap them over several times during a walk or at a gig. Plus the risk of dust - just had a particularly tough piece that needed several wipes.So I thought, I know, I'll get a second body, then I won't need to swap lenses. But does buying another body make sense? Or should I bite the bullet and pick up a nice prime?

Failing camera equipment I'll probably just stock up on wine
If the two lenses cover all your needs then yes I think a spare body makes sense if you think carrying both would work for you. Another idea is try to get some of the special lens pouches that flip over and give you a place to rest one while changing the lens. This makes sense to me - but I'm not bobble handed and routinely change lenses in a bag or using pockets or whatever.

If you aren't currently a prime shooter - and you don't think you need to (since most of your shots today are 70-200 and that fits your style) then getting a prime seems more about doing what is expected of you than doing what is right for you. Maybe you would like to try something like the DFA 150-450 but it sounds like today you don't need more reach and you have the lens you want on the camera most of the time - but sometimes need wider.
04-28-2016, 03:32 PM   #6
Veteran Member

My .02? Get a second body used (doesn't have to be a K3 - get a K5 or something if you can save significant money) and a used Sigma 10-20mm lens. Then you've got a body for each lens you carry, you can choose the higher resolution body in the K3 to support additional cropping if you need extra distance, and you've got a super ultrawide lens, and that may be significantly more interesting to you than the wide-short telephoto zoom, as it's a completely different way of looking at things, while also being a decent street lens at the 20mm end. The two together should come in well under 600 and leave you with enough budget leftover to buy a decent 2 body strap.
04-28-2016, 04:10 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
... get a K5 or something ...
He mentioned that he shoots gigs - with the K5's widespread AF issue under artificial light, he may want to go for a K5 II instead

04-28-2016, 04:30 PM   #8
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You can only say how to/when to carry two bodies.** Unless (or example) you are sitting/standing shooting a performance or the like two dslr may be a lot. But if changing lenses is not comfortable it likely should not be an option. And if you really like your current long FL zoom, it seems you should not exchange it for another lens. So a 2nd body and wide lens/wider zoom seems to be the better compromise.

Although I don't normally carry 2 dslr's, a K-3 and a second smallish dslr (e.g., used K-x) and a good small inexpensive prime, may be manageable--and would be low in cost. If this in the end is not perfect you have still a back up camera that takes all your lenses, and only invested likely 250 USD [e.g., for a used K-x and used 28 or 35 mm f/3.5--or whatever].

It really depends on what and how you shoot--for example I shoot theatre and carry three Pentax DSLR bodies, each with a lens I likely will not change during the performance. But I am sitting and have 2 bags with my gear. Canoeing (if I can stand the weight) I likely take two cameras and 2-3 lenses. Otherwise, realistically one camera (and 1-2 lenses) is usually all I choose to carry, and can effectively use. (After decades of carrying much more, it was not used/never really needed.)
_____
** Sorry--I just saw/it was pointed out you mention gigs. In this case a second body is unquestionably the best alternative. Very usable/very convenient.

I typically use a similar 70-210 mm zoom, and if I was limited to a second body only, I would have either a 20 mm or 24 mm prime and an optical finder. Actually my third body is a K-x sporting a 20 mm lens, zone focused, with a 35 mm (FF equivalent) optical finder (large enough magnification that I can shoot w/ both eyes open).

Last edited by dms; 04-28-2016 at 04:45 PM.
04-28-2016, 04:57 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I have a K-3II and a K5IIS. I have a Pentax 16-85 on my K-5IIS and a Sigma 150 -500 DG OS on my K-3II. Having them both, avoiding dust/dirt contamination due to changing lenses, and having the camera/ lens combinations ready to use is a standard practice for me. I see it as the best way to care for and use my equipment.
04-28-2016, 05:13 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is what I was talking about earlier.

S&F Lens Exchange Case 200 AW Camera bags, backpacks and rolling cases
04-28-2016, 05:32 PM   #11
Veteran Member

If you are shooting gigs regularly, having two bodies is going to take a lot of time pressure off you. The time that would be spent changing lenses would be spent getting more shots.
04-28-2016, 10:30 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
I have a K-3II and a K5IIS. I have a Pentax 16-85 on my K-5IIS and a Sigma 150 -500 DG OS on my K-3II. Having them both, avoiding dust/dirt contamination due to changing lenses, and having the camera/ lens combinations ready to use is a standard practice for me. I see it as the best way to care for and use my equipment.
When I'm shooting seriously for "must get" photo missions, I definitely use 2 bodies paired up with my 2 best choices of lens for that occasion. Lens swaps are kept at a minimum, situation permitting, and 1 body naturally assumes the backup role in case of failure of the other. Having 2 bodies is convenient and reassuring and allows for quick action/reaction as the situation requires. Can't see myself shooting any other way.
04-29-2016, 04:48 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you are happy with your lenses then get a second K3. There is an old adage that two is one and one is none. Today is my last official day at work as I am retiring after 40+ years at my current company. I will be heading out west later next month and will be taking three cameras with me. A K3 as my primary camera, a K5-IIs as a secondary camera and a K5 for use if they fail. I will also be sporting an MX-1 simply because I love it so much.

I'll even have a few older lenses as backups if the primary ones fail.
04-29-2016, 05:00 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
If you are happy with your lenses then get a second K3.
agreed,
when walking around i tend to use two bodies as well.

this said, primes do change your way of image making :-)
04-29-2016, 05:36 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's a real dilemma. If you have two bodies, hypothetically, what lens is on your first? The 70-200, presumably.
What do you want to do with the second? If it's just mounting the 17-70 then another body will help your workflow. As mentioned above, it doesn't need to be another K3. But one thing to consider is button layout changed a bit with the K3 and I'm still getting used to mine after years with the K5. If your work demands a zoom, I think you have a great pair, may as well have a second body.

A prime can help a lot. From a "normal" view like 28, 30, 35mm or wider can really be useful. I very much like the DA21mm, it's a great performer. It's not as fast as my Sigma 28 f1.8, which is quite good in low light, but the size makes the lens fun. It's also fast-focusing. The tiny pancake lens is just fun to use.