Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-10-2016, 08:21 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Finalized Imaging Resource K-3II review.

Pentax K-3 II Review: Time to choose which of Ricoh’s flagship APS-C DSLRs is right for you!

Pentax K-3 II Review - K-3 II Overview

^ Well, at least they finished the review. Hahaha!

05-10-2016, 08:33 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteQuote:
and we round out our review of the Pentax K-3 II, the camera with which the K-3 now shares its throne.
Heh. Lol. Not any more, it doesn't. Larger (half-)brother K-1 just dethroned them both, and the writer/editor should have acknowledged that.
05-10-2016, 08:36 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
...Really?
05-10-2016, 08:53 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Heh. Lol. Not any more, it doesn't. Larger (half-)brother K-1 just dethroned them both, and the writer/editor should have acknowledged that.
They are still the APS-C flagships...

05-10-2016, 08:56 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Um, the context is the "flagship in Ricoh's Pentax-branded APS-C DSLR lineup." The K-1 is a full frame DSLR. Different fleet. Although in feature set, aside from sensor, the K-1 is quite similar to the K-3II. The review has been very thorough in analyzing the K-3II, especially features like pixel shift that other reviewers have spent too little time on.

BTW, I think the reviewer is wrong about Adobe support for pixel shift.

Last edited by Oakland Rob; 05-10-2016 at 09:27 AM.
05-10-2016, 10:33 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
The review is about APS-C Pentax DSLRs...
05-10-2016, 11:47 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
Well, at least they finished the review. Hahaha!
Yeah, it only took them 11.5 months.

05-11-2016, 07:30 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
^ Ya know? Funny thing is that they already reviewed the recent Canon 80D & other cameras that have come out recently.

I've been reading about the K-3 & K-3II lately. I would like to pick up one of these bodies sometime around "Black Friday" to X-mas time this year 'cause chances are that they will be at their cheapest this year if Pentax releases new APS-C cameras. Been trying to figure out if the K-3II really has that much of a difference in shooting performance compared to the K-3 with the latest firmware. They both produce the exact same images, except for the pixel shift feature with the K-3II by using a tripod.

At the same time, I've been trying to find out what Pentax has in store for the next APS-C flagship. Is the AF going to be far better? Is the SR going to be 5-axis? Will the high ISO image quality be improved slightly?

I have the option of getting a K-3/K-3II or keep shooting my K-50 for another 3 years & then get the next generation APS-C flagship when it's being phased out by the following generation. I don't have any qualms shooting the K-50, but I do like the features of the K-3/K-3II. I tend to stay a few years behind in camera gear 'cause it's cheaper that way & they still work fine.
05-11-2016, 08:29 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
^ Ya know? Funny thing is that they already reviewed the recent Canon 80D & other cameras that have come out recently.

I've been reading about the K-3 & K-3II lately. I would like to pick up one of these bodies sometime around "Black Friday" to X-mas time this year 'cause chances are that they will be at their cheapest this year if Pentax releases new APS-C cameras. Been trying to figure out if the K-3II really has that much of a difference in shooting performance compared to the K-3 with the latest firmware. They both produce the exact same images, except for the pixel shift feature with the K-3II by using a tripod.

At the same time, I've been trying to find out what Pentax has in store for the next APS-C flagship. Is the AF going to be far better? Is the SR going to be 5-axis? Will the high ISO image quality be improved slightly?

I have the option of getting a K-3/K-3II or keep shooting my K-50 for another 3 years & then get the next generation APS-C flagship when it's being phased out by the following generation. I don't have any qualms shooting the K-50, but I do like the features of the K-3/K-3II. I tend to stay a few years behind in camera gear 'cause it's cheaper that way & they still work fine.
Good point. The K-50 is still a killer camera and depending on conditions, lens, etc it can get results just as good as the K-3II. Maybe some folks will unload K-3's to move to K-1s, so used might be another option.