Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
01-04-2018, 05:46 PM   #61

It was initially dead for a few weeks then I played around with batteries and it came back to life but not with all batteries it some how now works with all batteries so I never really did anything with it.

01-04-2018, 06:20 PM   #62

It died in mid December(17) in the middle of a shoot. I tried new batteries and new chargers, Pentax and Wasabi. Cleaned contacts and blew out card and battery slots. Tried different cards. I am using a k3ii right now with all of the above cards and batteries.

I just tried it again and also tried using the battery grip with L190 battery and then tried double A batteries. Still dead.

It is not quite 3 years old. I've never dropped it. I bought it new from B&H. Apparently it was manufactured sometime before Jan 2014. I don't know the # of actuations, but I'm sure it hasn't reached 100,000 yet.

I am going to send it to Precision Camera as soon as we shovel out from the east coast snow storm. They want 312.00 minimum to fix it. This is sight unseen. Ouch! They will send it back for $12.00 unfixed.

Really love this camera and am not happy.

I hope yours continues to work.

I will post the results after I hear from Precision.
01-04-2018, 09:07 PM   #63
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JaneAlison Quote
It died in mid December(17) in the middle of a shoot. I tried new batteries and new chargers, Pentax and Wasabi. Cleaned contacts and blew out card and battery slots. Tried different cards. I am using a k3ii right now with all of the above cards and batteries.

I just tried it again and also tried using the battery grip with L190 battery and then tried double A batteries. Still dead.

It is not quite 3 years old. I've never dropped it. I bought it new from B&H. Apparently it was manufactured sometime before Jan 2014. I don't know the # of actuations, but I'm sure it hasn't reached 100,000 yet.

I am going to send it to Precision Camera as soon as we shovel out from the east coast snow storm. They want 312.00 minimum to fix it. This is sight unseen. Ouch! They will send it back for $12.00 unfixed.

For $312 I would probably put it little extra and buy a new one or something like this (with may be pay extra for extended warranty?)

Pentax K-3 23.35MP Digital SLR Camera Body (Used - Mint- Condition)

Used DSLR Cameras from Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Olympus, & More - Pentax
01-05-2018, 03:10 AM   #64
Pentaxian

hi folks,

mine is all right, and it's manufacture date is in May 2015... In my local pentax store, when I first time bought this camera, seller told me, the first series are having problems with locked up or runaway mirror ...
He probably would not told me that kind of stuff,
but I was already investigate my future purchase on internet and forums, and I noticed that issue, cause it's mentioned by users who alerady purchase K3, so I bring it up to our talking. He confirmed that's correct, but as I said, he told me, on the second or later series of the K3 - the problem or issue was solved by Pentax itself.

Now I checked the date of the camera, actuations are on 61.000,
and I never had bigger problems.

Minor problems I had is just a few times runaway mirror, but turning off the camera always "fix" this issue, and I normally continue shooting after that.
and recently,
after one bigger session, I noticed at home, one hot pixel in one corner, which was not present in the very first shoots in that session. I ran pixel mapping, and that was clear the pics.

I must say here - Once I had a mistakenly not closed sd card cover door,
and camera was "dead".
I was in some night shooting, and I just pull my K3 out, to shoot the scene, but for a half of minute I wasn't notice, because of dark, my sd card door was opened.

When I closed it, it normally turned on... Maybe the some of "dead" problems are here...

good luck to everyone

Last edited by panonski; 01-10-2018 at 11:47 AM.
02-15-2018, 12:28 PM   #65

QuoteOriginally posted by JaneAlison Quote

RE Pentax k3 catastrophic failure: So my answer from Precision is that I need main flex circuit and cpu repair, autofocus repair, testing, recalibration, cleaning, etc. The parts alone are $278., labor $200., and a $45. diagnostic fee/shipping. The total is $524.47 with a 90 day warranty. I am declining the repair as it is too much money for only a 90 day warranty. I have asked them to contact me and see if they have a guess as what happened to it. My guess is a complete cpu failure/short.
Needless to say I am not very happy, as I have had the camera not quite 3 years.
I will try and contact Ricoh/Pentax directly and see if I have any luck with them.
My faith in the brand is pretty shaken.

Meanwhile I now have a K3ii which I think has slightly better image quality.
Sigh.
02-19-2018, 10:32 AM   #66
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is really disturbing to those of us that have K3's. The repair costs are pretty high, with no guarantee it won't happen again. 90 days is not long for the warranty.

Sounds like I might be looking for another backup/primary Pentax body, just in case.
02-19-2018, 10:48 AM   #67
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
This is really disturbing to those of us that have K3's. The repair costs are pretty high, with no guarantee it won't happen again. 90 days is not long for the warranty.

Sounds like I might be looking for another backup/primary Pentax body, just in case.
So far, based on self reporting by the posters here, it involves K 3 made a few years ago

2013, 2014

If that is any comfort

02-19-2018, 11:00 AM   #68
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I purchased mine in Oct/2015. So possibly manufactured in 2014. Where would I find the manufactured date?
02-19-2018, 11:08 AM   #69
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
I purchased mine in Oct/2015. So possibly manufactured in 2014. Where would I find the manufactured date?
Use the PF shutter count tool. It gives manufacture date.
02-19-2018, 11:11 AM - 1 Like   #70
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Use the PF shutter count tool. It gives manufacture date.
Here is the link

Check Camera Shutter Count and Manufacture Date
02-19-2018, 11:18 AM   #71
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks! Mine was manufactured 04, 2015.

This is a great tool to know about!
02-22-2018, 04:47 PM - 1 Like   #72
Administrator
Site Webmaster

This is something we could bring up with Ricoh at our CP+ interview, to get any hints on whether or not this is a known trend. Here's my takeaway:

Before we proceed, know that I sympathize with everyone who experienced poor customer service- this is certainly not how repairs/failures should be handled. That said, it makes a lot of sense for a manufacturer to refuse free service outside of the warranty period. That's just how it is unfortunately. Know that a lot of credit cards offer an extra year of warranty (in some regions) as an automatic benefit, so definitely check what you used for the original purchase.

For the most part these seem like isolated incidents to me. Around a dozen reports with vague/inconclusive answers from repair shops spread over a 2-year period is nowhere near enough to establish clear links, and the hint of physical damage in some of the reports suggests that perhaps this was sometimes the cause. Personally, I'm more inclined to believe that a loose screw (i.e. borderline assembly) at the factory led to a handful of bodies being more sensitive to external forces than others. Hopefully this will indeed turn out to be an isolated issue rather than one that keeps on trickling in- that would certainly be cause for alarm and would minimally warrant a follow-up from Pentax.

I will post an update here if I get any insight.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-22-2018, 04:54 PM   #73
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

thanks Adam
03-21-2018, 06:47 AM   #74

Hi Guys...
Just to let you know I purchased a refurb "as new" K-3ii here in the UK and received it this morning.
It certainly looked as new and had only performed approx 200 shutter actuations.
I fired off about 30 shots with it and was extremely pleased.
Had a cuppa and went to fire it up again - totally dead!
Tried 3-4 batteries, removed the SD cards etc. Nothing.
It is my first Pentax failure ever.
Incidentally I had purchased it to use at a wedding next week as I never wanted to rely solely on my trusty K-5ii body.
It will now be going back.
Kind regards,
Wayne.
03-21-2018, 08:33 AM   #75
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Flyingmariner Quote
Hi Guys...
Just to let you know I purchased a refurb "as new" K-3ii here in the UK and received it this morning.
It certainly looked as new and had only performed approx 200 shutter actuations.
I fired off about 30 shots with it and was extremely pleased.
Had a cuppa and went to fire it up again - totally dead!
Tried 3-4 batteries, removed the SD cards etc. Nothing.
It is my first Pentax failure ever.
Incidentally I had purchased it to use at a wedding next week as I never wanted to rely solely on my trusty K-5ii body.
It will now be going back.
Kind regards,
Wayne.
OMG

I feel for you